Back to Home Page  

Spain now rules the soccer world.

July 3 2012 at 3:07 PM
No score for this post
Anonymous 

It is 46 years since England last won anything. And Spain now rules the soccer world.

There ought to be an overwhelming message there for the USA, a country that is looking for a style and that has all the youth training resources necessary to develop one.

This country is in an absolutely ideal position to develop a style of soccer based on the Spanish model. We have the talent here, at the youth level, without any shadow of a doubt. Of course we do. And right next door to us, we have a soccer-playing nation that plays the sport in the same way that Spain does: a version based on ball skills. Mexico is not up to Spains standards ... but it has pulled off some remarkable achievements at the youth level recently, including last years Under-17 World Cup.

Why is it then that we have a national team that displays absolutely no style at all? Why does Jurgen Klinsmann go searching in Germany for talent -- and not particularly impressive talent at that?

When complaints are made that, given all the time and the money that has now been spent on youth development in this country, we really ought to be producing better players, what answer is to be heard?

Only one, really. That there is a formidable influence at work in youth soccer in this country that belittles skill and emphasizes strength. Nothing more complicated than that. Where that influence comes from, and what keeps it so influential, is a topic for another day. But I dont think theres any secret involved.

That influence needs to be eliminated. Possibly the curriculum devised by Claudio Reyna for the USSF is meant to do that. It may -- eventually. I dont think we should be dealing in eventually in this situation. Now is what matters -- because weve waited long enough. And because right now, set in front of us, in all its dynamic glory, we have the superb example of Spain ... the best team in the world.

That is where all our efforts, all our coaching routines, all our soccer ambitions should be focused. Ill admit that I do not, any longer, see this as a slow process. I think something needs to be done quickly -- brutally if necessary -- while we have before us this superb example for us to follow, and that we need to make a much stronger effort to learn from the Mexicans.

When I said brutally, I meant just that. I mean getting rid of coaches who do not believe in the path Im outlining, who cannot understand it and therefore cannot teach it. We have been trying the other way, or the other ways -- all of which tend to put the physical side of the game first -- for far too long, and we are not making anything like the progress we surely should.

Let them hear Oliver Cromwells famous words, from over 350 years ago, You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

1. I love those Mexicans - Anonymous on Jul 3, 2012, 3:16 PM
  3. The funny thing is this ... - Anonymous on Jul 3, 2012, 3:23 PM
    1. Why don't you build a team with 15 U9 Orphans? - Anonymous on Jul 3, 2012, 3:56 PM
      1. I only partially agree with you ... - Anonymous on Jul 3, 2012, 4:06 PM
    2. "Crush"??? - Anonymous on Jul 4, 2012, 10:04 AM

4. Time has a way - Anonymous on Jul 3, 2012, 6:38 PM
  6. "that has all the youth training resources necessary to develop one." - Anonymous on Jul 4, 2012, 8:17 AM
    1. In case you - Anonymous on Jul 4, 2012, 10:40 AM
      1. In case you...... how little do you know! - Anonymous on Jul 4, 2012, 11:01 AM
    2. While Spain is now a powerhouse, so is Uruguay, Germany, Holland, Brazil, Argentina etc.. - Anonymous on Jul 4, 2012, 10:44 AM
      1. Uruguay a powerhouse...developing players - Anonymous on Jul 4, 2012, 10:57 AM

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement