Back to Home Page  

you also get college credit for ap classes if you score well on ap tests

July 21 2012 at 10:16 AM
No score for this post
Anonymous 

Response to 2 Issues, Hope vs Zell Miller Hope and Getting Accepted to Top Schools

freshman year, most high school students take their first ap class, and parents can begin to get an idea of whether these courses are appropriate based on their ap test score. If they score well and seem to do well in the class, then sophomore year, they sign up for another ap class. Its basically a common sense approach.

the other thing to consider, is what college the student is looking to attend and whether that college awards college credit for the ap courses your student has taken. For example, ap psychology and ap human geography and ap world history are usually awarded college credit. However, I think that ap environmental science may not receive college credit at many universities.

I think that if students don't take ap classes, they will be at a disadvantage in the college application process. For example, something like 90 % of applicants admitted at UGA have ap class credits. So, it follows that students should take some ap classes, otherwise they will look "less than" compared to other applicants.

I actually think that the issue of whether to take ap classes is outdated and irrelevant. It isn't an issue- they just should because its standard for an overwhelming majority of applicants to have ap credits. the current issue for high school students should be whether dual or joint enrollment will benefit them. For example, 50% of applicants admitted to GA tech and UGA have dual/joint enrollment credits.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

1. I would think they would also look at AP test scores... - anon on Jul 21, 4:32 PM
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement