<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to Home Page  

The science of defending a PK

June 28 2012 at 12:59 AM
No score for this post
Anonymous 

Since matches in the Euro Cup are being decided on kicks from the mark

ESPN Sports Science segment did a piece on the the difficulty in defending a PK and the science behind it a couple of years ago. I saw it when it first came out and found it interesting.

The conclusion is that at the professional level, with the speed of the ball and the distance covered, the keeper has to decide which way to go before ball is kicked. They suggest defending a PK is more difficult than hitting a baseball.

See it on this YouTube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymgMNLPw1yY

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Aud

PRESSURE related to PKs

No score for this post
June 28 2012, 8:08 AM 

While this is unscientific, I have watched enough of these to know that the pressure is on the shooter - not the keeper.

The keeper has very little chance of making the save, so the expectations are low. As long as they dive one way or the other (educated or uneducated guess or not), the appearence is that the keeper gave it his or her best attempt.

So, the most pressure is on the shooter to put the ball on frame. To me, it is very clear that is the case or shooters would not keep the ball on or near the ground almost every time where there is a better chance the keeper will get a stop as opposed to in the upper third of the goal.

Anonymous

Give it a chance

No score for this post
June 28 2012, 8:55 AM 

There is nothing more aggrivating then a shooter that doesn't give the ball a chance to go in the goal. They hit it like they're are trying to drive it through the keeper and end up shanking it well outside of or over the frame. Kids pick a side and pass it to the back of the net.

Anonymous

Re: PRESSURE related to PKs

No score for this post
June 28 2012, 9:32 AM 

Not! The shooter has a 95% chance of success. (fact) The keeper carries all the weight of the PK because of the simple fact that they are expected to fail. Pressure to succeed is enormous. You could take 5 inexperienced people that have never played the game, hand them the ball, have them take a shot on any keeper of your choice, at any level, and all 5 could succeed. The inexperienced shooters chance of success is 50%.

A properly trained keeper knows how to increase their chances by reading the shooters body language. There is a commitment that has to be made in a split second and that is what they go on. Unfortunately, today's soccer is increasingly difficult to read a shooter just because of the last second twitch that allows the shooter to adjust their shot.

The only pressure a shooter has to put the ball on frame is the pressure they put on themselves and the desire not to fail and to make the "perfect" shot. That is all based on the kickers maturity.

Go sit back in your lawn chair.

Anonymous

No score for this post
June 28 2012, 10:23 AM 

Grow up or at least post a discussion like an adult.

You even stated it - the shooter's pressure is to put the ball within the frame. The shooter is the one who feels embarrassed when they miss.The keeper is not expected to make a stop when shooters are successful almost 80 percent (4 of 5 attempts) of the time - not 95%. Look at the body language of those that did not put the ball on the goal and compare that to the keeper when the ball went in - there is no comparison as to who felt more pressure during the exchange.

Again, if the keeper chooses the wrong direction, no one knows if it was a stupid move because no one is as close or as direct as he or she is. So, again, the fact that goals are scored 80 percent of the time makes the pressure less on him or her.

And, as with anything, pressure is only what we put on ourselves UNLESS someone is holding a gun to your head, which is generally not the case in soccer PKs.

Anonymous

No score for this post
June 28 2012, 2:17 PM 

The 80% you list is based on shots taken. Not on target shots. The 95% I list is shots stopped on target. If a kicker misses the frame that is not a keeper save. If you just go back to yesterday I believe there was one save, and 1 missed. That percentage would be 88.9% of the shots went unsaved. Had Ronaldo put his in, that would have gone to 90%, which I am confident he would have made. That is not 4 out of five. If the shot is not on target, it isn't a save. I assume you might have taken or watched a few pk situations. You sure haven't defended any. That shows. The keeper must take what information is provided and make an educated guess. There are no stupid moves.

Anonymous

Nervous move (keeper feels stupid after the fact)

No score for this post
June 28 2012, 2:43 PM 

Off the line just prior to a kick that sails high and away. Do over. The shooter settles and just pushes it into the net as the keeper is caught on his heels not wanting to offend again.

Never give a shooter a second chance.

Anonymous

Please....

No score for this post
June 28 2012, 11:42 AM 

You speak like you have never taken a pk, and if you have it was during some pick up game. The pressure on the kicker is way higher than the keeper. When the odds are in your favor, you do not want to be the one that does not convert, so the pressure builds, no matter how mature you are. The keeper is not expected to stop the shot, so the pressure is much less.

Anonymous

Re: Please....

No score for this post
June 28 2012, 2:18 PM 

Not a chance.

Anonymous

There wouldn't be all the pressure if you didn't keep score

No score for this post
June 28 2012, 2:23 PM 

Anonymous

Lets take away the goals and just play keep away.

No score for this post
June 28 2012, 2:34 PM 

No, then someone would feel bad because they could never take the ball and the other kids would kick it around them, over them or... a real meanie would kick it between your legs to another kid.

Or the teams would play keep away and the time of possession would be clocked and then the winner would be the team with the most possession time. Boom! All you beautiful game folks should love that idea.

Anonymous

My concern is that PKs are impacting the development of the players

No score for this post
June 28 2012, 2:36 PM 

They could use the time and efforts put into PK into learning to play the game the right way.

Anonymous

How many of these Euro games have gone to PKs?

No score for this post
June 28 2012, 2:51 PM 

Know how to finish. Failing to practice PKs for both shooters and keepers are game changers. How many PKs (not kicks from the mark) are taken during the course of a season. 3, 4...maybe more. Many times game deciding goals. What about tournaments? How many State Cup matches had PKs? Kicks from the mark? PKs are gifts when given; don't blow it because your kids all step to the line kicking field goals.

Anonymous

Spoken like someone who has never taken a meaningful pk.

No score for this post
June 28 2012, 2:59 PM 

You can practice everyday for hours on pks, but nothing can prepare you for the actual moment when the pressure to actually score is there. The pros practice striking a soccer ball for hours and still miss many short range shots on goal during a game. If every player finished every legitimate opportunity we would games scores of 12-10. Not reality, no matter how much you prepare.

Anonymous

We should have PK Tournaments to focus on PK Development

No score for this post
June 28 2012, 3:08 PM 

The typical games where both teams play keep away is one of the most beautiful occurance in modern day life. However, if you want to win, you should forget about it. Spend most of you time on PKs and attend as many PK Tournaments as possible.

Anonymous

We call that 3v3. What next Edison?

No score for this post
June 28 2012, 3:38 PM 

Anonymous

These PK tournaments have begun out west

No score for this post
June 28 2012, 4:07 PM 

they are the opposite of 3v3

Anonymous

Doubt you've taken a 'meaningful' PK

No score for this post
June 28 2012, 3:32 PM 

Practice is good. Lack of practice is not. A kick from the mark is a set shot. Practice teaches that fact. No pressure from defenders just strike the ball at a spot in the back of the net. If a kid does it the same way every time they will be successful the majority of the time.

If you step up without a plan you heart is already racing and the ball ends up in the creek.

I'm not saying spend all day kicking 12 yard shots. I am saying spend time teaching the entire game.

Again, know how to finish.

Plan for success, train for success.

Anonymous

"Know how to finish"????

No score for this post
June 28 2012, 11:05 PM 

Really? I thought practice was just to kill time.

"They will be successful the "majority" of the time." That means they will miss some of the time, no matter how hard they practice.

So a pk is not a given as you correctly point out. Practicing every day will still not incorporate the "moment" in a big game, especially on the world stage in front thousands live and millions on tv. The two (practice v live)do not compare and very few of us will ever know how that feels. The pressure however, even at the club or high school level, in a playoff game is getting pretty close. My daughter has taken many (15 maybe) and made all but two. Even with that success she still says they are nerve racking, especially if you are the deciding kick. I've taken my fair share and can validate that feeling. Not easy at any level.

Anonymous

Re: My concern is that PKs are impacting the development of the players

No score for this post
June 28 2012, 4:37 PM 

Kind of like practicing free throws? jjjeeeeeeeezzzzzzz

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to Home Page  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement