The New Forum for Classical Singers

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

Marlena Malas technique question

October 28 2005 at 1:43 PM
Squillo  (Login Squillo)
NFCS Member

I was wondering: Is Marlena Malas in the "pull your lower abdomnen in to sing" school or the "let every thing stay gently expanding out" school of technique?

This message has been edited by Squillo on Oct 28, 2005 1:43 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(Login DerBajazzo)

If you want help with...

October 31 2005, 1:37 AM 

...your breathing, Marlena is just about the last teacher you should go to.

Seriously.

Respond to this message   
Squillo
(Login Squillo)
NFCS Member

Really?.............

October 31 2005, 1:40 PM 

Can you elaborate?

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login DerBajazzo)

Re: Really?.............

October 31 2005, 6:29 PM 

There's really nothing to elaborate on. If you need me to pick one of your options, it's B, the "let everything gently expand out".

Other than getting you to bend forward and "hang over" so you can feel your rib cage expand when taking your breath, she has almost nothing to say about breath.

Teaching breath is not exactly Marlena's strong suit.

Respond to this message   
Squillo
(Login Squillo)
NFCS Member

Re: Really?................

November 1 2005, 7:14 AM 

Thank you. I really don't need to be with a teacher who teaches breath. I have a wonderful teacher who has already taught me how to use breath and support.

It's just that I might end up attending a school she teaches at and wanted to be sure that if I end up studying with her, she won't be trying to teach the "pull in your lower abs" thing. That has been really detrimental to my singing in the past, so I really try to avoid teachers from that school of technique.

Respond to this message   
Riwa Cot
(Login RiwaCot)
NFCS Member

Not in my experience (long)

January 4 2006, 4:13 PM 

When I worked with Marlena, she addressed breath and support quite openly. She had me pull in (I carry most of my weight in my gut, and had just lost 30 pounds when I worked with her) when I before I took the breath, then release slightly before onset. I'm sure that this doesn't work for everyone, but it is exactly what I needed at the time. I know that Ashley Putnam advocates the same technique, and have heard Ruth Falcon and Trish McCaffrey do also.

A word about Marlena. I was hesitant to work with her at first. I am always nervous to work with "gurus" and teachers who are know to have students worship their every word. I was shocked and surprised to have a very focused, mapped out plan with everyone of my lessons. She was very kind, open, demanding, and encouraging. An amazing woman with amazing ears.

That said, she, nor any other teacher is not for everyone. It is such an investment to "try" out a teacher. In my experience, it really takes five lessons to know if someone is really going to work for you or not. Don't get me wrong, with some teachers it takes 3 minutes, but I think five lessons have always helped me decide whether I feel that I should continue with that person or not. Unfortunately, 5 lessons with some NYC teachers could run you well over $800 which is absurd, but hey, you only get one voice.

Respond to this message   
Squillo
(Login Squillo)
NFCS Member

Other Input? Please??

October 31 2005, 2:10 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   

kimvox
(Login kimvox)
NFCS Member

Are you asking only about Marlena, or do you want other recs?

October 31 2005, 2:15 PM 

'Cause Deb Birnbaum is the goddess of breathing. IMVHO.

Respond to this message   

Leodiva
(Login Leodiva)
NFCS Regular

Seconding Deb Birnbaum nt

October 31 2005, 6:35 PM 

nt

VIVA ITALIA!

Respond to this message   

Couchpoetgirl
(Login couchpoetgirl)
NFCS Member

Thirding Deb

October 31 2005, 6:45 PM 

I LOVE Deb Birnbaum.....

Respond to this message   
SG
(Login shoegal76)
NFCS Member

**BUMP** Deb Birnbaum Contactt Info???

January 24 2008, 9:34 AM 

Hi,

I would like to work with Ms. Birnbaum. Would someone please tell me how to get in touch with her?

Thanks so much!!!!

Respond to this message   
Squillo
(Login Squillo)
NFCS Member

I'm asking because............

November 1 2005, 7:09 AM 

I don't need a teacher to teach me breath. It's just that I'm planning to go to a school where Marlena is the best they have to offer and I just want to make sure that she won't try to make me working with my breath support in an opposite way. I've been taught to gently expand out and that works for me, but this summer I was at a prestigous program where they were really pushing the "pull in your abdomen thing" and it was really frustrating.

Respond to this message   

Blackfish
(Login canadianblackfish)
NFCS Member

you should check out.....

November 1 2005, 12:07 PM 

the lenghty discussion from a little while ago on the subject of pull-in vs. push-out that was on the Main Forum. It's worth investigating.

And what school has Marlena as the only and best option?

CBF

Respond to this message   
operadds
(Login operadds)
NFCS Member

She's an amazing teacher...

November 1 2005, 9:42 PM 

she's not going to mess you up. If she thinks you're breathing incorrectly, I am sure she'll mention it. If she does, try her suggestions with an open mind. She has LOTS of working students. I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything, but she does not have a harmful word of wisdom in her vocabulary.
B
(a very happy student of MM)

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login helenaliz)
NFCS Member

Patricia Macaffrey

November 4 2005, 6:56 PM 

I hear AWESOME things about this woman and have great admiration for most of her students. SHe's supposed to be the Bobby Knight of opera when it comes to teaching/coaching but the technique seems marvellous and correct. If I were at that school I would probably go with someone like Trish who will kick my ass and get me in shape. I also NEVER hear anything great about Marlena other than her super-high fees and the credit card machine in her studio.

Respond to this message   

princessj
(Login princessopera)
NFCS Member

what is her contact info

January 4 2006, 1:07 PM 

Please email contact info for Marlena Malas and Patricia Maccaffery!

Thanks, j

"Find out what you like doing best and get someone to pay you for doing it."
- Katherine Whitehorn

Respond to this message   
BCS
(Login BelCantoSop)
NFCS Member

Bwa! Ah the Credit Card Machine. nt

July 30 2008, 10:43 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   

CS
(Login coquette_soubrette)
NFCS Member

Can you go to her to just work on breathing while studying w/someone else? (NT)

November 1 2005, 5:13 PM 

NT

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
--Soren Kierkegaard.

Respond to this message   

kimvox
(Login kimvox)
NFCS Member

I do, but

November 1 2005, 5:17 PM 

if I was in NYC I would study with her full-time. I get so much out of my lessons and she has helped me a lot, not only with breathing, but also with rep, networking, etc.

E-me and we can discuss off-board.

K

Respond to this message   

CS
(Login coquette_soubrette)
NFCS Member

You've got mail :) (NT)

November 2 2005, 11:53 AM 

nt

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
--Soren Kierkegaard.

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© 2001-2003 NFCS.NET.
All posts are © their original authors.