The New Forum for Classical Singers

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

Marlena Malas

December 20 2007 at 12:51 AM

Anonymous  (Login vocespinto)
NFCS Member

I m going to NY this feb for an audition, and would like to ask Marlena Malas for a voice lesson while I m there, just to see how she works and ask her opinion about me/advice. What is the best way to go about that? Should I just call, also, does anyone know how much she charges?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
sunshinesop
(Login sunshinesop)
NFCS Member

I believe

December 20 2007, 8:51 AM 

she's up to $175/hr. credit card machine in hand, but I could be wrong

Respond to this message   
theoperadiva
(Login theoperadiva)
NFCS Member

if you know someone who already studies with her...

December 20 2007, 10:24 AM 

that's your best route. She's not very good about returning calls to unknown entities as I believe her door is sufficiently knocked upon by those she already knows, and those who are known to current students.

If you know someone who studies with her, I would ask for them to make the introduction, or better yet, see if they'll let you sit in on a lesson.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login bass1269)
NFCS Member

Re: if you know someone who already studies with her...

December 20 2007, 11:07 PM 

Marlena doesn't let anybody sit in on lessons.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login vivodarte)
NFCS Member

Re: Marlena Malas

December 20 2007, 11:20 AM 

A friend of mine who is in Marlena's studio gave me her number. I tried her, left a message, and haven't heard back (granted, this is apparently a busy time of year for her). My friend said that Marlena tends to give priority on sample lessons to students who are looking at Juilliard for the upcoming year. As for Chautauqua applicants, I've been told she has a "I'll hear them at the audition" mentality and is more reluctant to give lessons to them beforehand.

Maybe in February she'll have more availability. It might help if you are interested in applying to one of the schools where she teaches.

Respond to this message   

Anonymous
(Login vocespinto)
NFCS Member

Re: Marlena Malas

December 20 2007, 12:39 PM 

well since I m not a New Yorker, I don't know anyone that studies with her, but I am interested in applying for the Julliard Opera Center or for MSM, and would want to study with her if I got into either of those schools. I just thought I could call and ask, it wouldn't hurt! I wish I could email rather then call, as its less nerve racking..

Respond to this message   
anonasever
(Login nogoodloginname)
NFCS Member

FYI: She doesn't actually accept credit cards. nt

December 22 2007, 8:36 AM 

nt.

This message has been edited by nogoodloginname on Dec 22, 2007 8:38 AM

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login sillysop)
NFCS Member

The Marlena Malas scoop....

December 26 2007, 2:16 PM 

I have studied with Marlena for MANY years. She is an amazing teacher with impeccable ears.

It is very hard to get a lesson with her- I would suggest contacting a student of hers that you know, at either Juilliard or MSM and get her number. (I am sorry- I don't feel at liberty to give it out myself)

Marlena is up to $180 an hour. She does not accept credit cards! (who EVER started that rumor!!!??? rediculous!)

She is very busy and most likely will not return a phone call...but perhaps if you mention the name of someone you know that gave it to you- she might be more apt to do so. She gets hundreds of calls per week. Her phone rings CONSTANTLY....so don't take it personally if you don't hear from her. She leads an insane life and has literally HUNDREDS of students all over the world.

Marlena does not allow people to sit in on lessons. She does not do email either. (so phone is the only way)

Another thought- if you know someone who studies with her- go to her studio class at Juilliard with them and talk to her about setting up a lesson afterwards.

Good luck!

Respond to this message   

HT
(Login Houndentenor)
NFCS Member

Who DID start that rumor?

December 26 2007, 9:41 PM 

Everyone has heard it and like so many other urban legends, people SWEAR not only that it's true but that they saw the credit card machine on her piano. Who makes this stuff up?

HT

"...when two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong."

--Richard Dawkins

Respond to this message   

Blue81
(Login Blue81)
NFCS Member

Have you thought of applying to one of her affiliate summer programs?

December 26 2007, 5:02 PM 

depending on your budget and schedule this summer maybe apply to one of her summer programs? There's Chautauqua and I dont know this year but possibly IVAI?

You're Canadian right? I think she comes to Toronto a number of times to work with the COC Ensemble. You could try emailing Liz Upchurch through the COC and ask if she could schedule you a session with Marlena?

If you're hoping to get admitted to JOC or MSM through her you might as well try other teachers as well who have influence on admissions... unless she's the only one.

All the best?

Respond to this message   

Anonymous
(Login vocespinto)
NFCS Member

thanks peeps!

December 26 2007, 9:58 PM 

I ve applied to IVAI for this summer. I am interested in JOC or MSM but I particularly want to study with her. I think that you are right and that my best bet is a summer program.
Thanks again

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Marlena Malas
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© 2001-2003 NFCS.NET.
All posts are © their original authors.