The New Forum for Classical Singers

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

how many calories does singing burn?

February 26 2005 at 8:46 PM
yogini  (Login yogamezzo)
NFCS Regular

I feel SO hungry after rehearsal and want to eat everything in sight! Does singing (I'm rehearsing the role of Carmen right now, which is exhausting in every way). How many calories do people think singing burns? It doesn't really seem to fit the criteria for exercise, but I just wanted to know if anyone thinks that, in WW terms, I gain activity points for a 4 hour rehearsal. Thoughts?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

TenorVox
(Login TenorVox)
NFCS Regular

Well, I can't speak to *exact* calories lost.

February 27 2005, 2:28 AM 

That being said, something someone once said years ago about either Pav, Domingo, or maybe even it was Caruso (i.e., Famous Singers Who Sweat Buckets) sticks in my head.

Supposedly, if one is singing a rigorous role onstage, it is not uncommon to lose either

(a) 10 pounds PER SHOW, or

(b) 10 pounds during the RUN of a show.

Make of that what ya will.
Me, I know that even after fueling up appropriately before doing some big-ass singing, I'm ALWAYS hongry too.

Anybody who doesn't think singing/performing ISN'T "work" should be given a high colonic and then sent on a 50-mile hike with a full field pack (to quote Colonel Potter).

=>;>)=

T.V.
=;>)=

-- I AM the people my parents warned me about. --

Respond to this message   

mezzolike
(Login mezzolike)

Here's what I use...

February 27 2005, 12:50 PM 

This is a great calorie counting tool to calculate how many calories are burned for different activities. I think it has categories for "singing" and "stage work", so maybe you can get creative and estimate how much you might be burning by combining the two. I'm not sure what the calorie formula is for Weight Watchers exercise points, but I'm sure it is out there somewhere. Good luck!

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.html

Respond to this message   

Zerbgirl
(Login SarasvatiDevi)
NFCS Regular

fascinating

February 27 2005, 1:54 PM 

According to this I would have burned 866 calories yesterday between yoga in the morning and the show in the evening. And I forgot to calculate some gardening in the afternoon. I think these things are ok as estimates, but I doubt I really burned that much physical energy onstage. And I think it underestimated the strenuousness of my yoga.

I think these online calculators are fine for getting a general idea of calories spent/ingested, but not that sharp on accuracy because of the variables they can't account for. When I used Fitday.com I started gaining weight. I was STUFFING myself well past my tolerance point because fitday showed me having 1000 calorie deficit almost every day. I wasn't trying to lose weight, but to gain muscle, so I figured I needed to force those calories in. Finally realized fitday underestimates the calories you eat and overestimates the ones you burn.

Respond to this message   

Zerbgirl
(Login SarasvatiDevi)
NFCS Regular

It's the breathing

February 27 2005, 1:46 PM 

I'm sure of it. I was never hungrier than when I worked as a massage therapist in the morning, a voice teacher in the afternoon, and sang at a regional house in the evenings. Constant deep breathing! I'm sure the oxygen in the system acts as a furnace for burning food fuel and that's why we get so hungry.

I ALWAYS have to eat after lessons, after rehearsals, especially after performances. Thank god I stopped having reflux problems cuz last night after the show I gobbled an entire veggie TV dinner and some Hersheys kisses with pb.

Well, and besides the breathing, the emotional-mental component of reenacting so many dramatic situations. That can make ya wanna eat too.

Respond to this message   

Sinking Tenner
(Login sinkingtenner)
NFCS Member

I've heard

February 27 2005, 2:43 PM 

That classical singing uses about as much energy as swimming does. I don't know where that info comes from, so can't judge it's veracity.

I've heard that Callas used to eat a steak between acts.

Respond to this message   
Yogini
(Login yogamezzo)
NFCS Regular

thank you, guys!

February 27 2005, 8:27 PM 

I feel much better after having been reinforced by your responses. My husband (non-singer) laughed at my original post, but he just don't get it. Love, Y

Respond to this message   

LC in Queens
(Login LCinQueens)
NFCS Member

Yogini...

March 1 2005, 11:55 AM 

People who don't do yoga have a hard time thinking of it as "excercise".

People who don't sing don't understand that it's work. Your body is your instrument, and if you're singing, you're using ALL of it. Singing is an athletic pursuit requiring energy, breath, concentration, focus, and activity from a wide variety of muscle groups, not to mention thought. OF COURSE YOU'RE HUNGRY!!!

Now go eat something, and have a good rehearsal tonight.

LC

------------------------------------------

"Truth is just truth. You can't have opinions about truth."

Peter Schikele

Respond to this message   
Yogini
(Login yogamezzo)
NFCS Regular

LC!

March 8 2005, 11:25 PM 

Thank you for your validation. I just saw it, a week later. By the way, I had a student in my class at OM the other week, and, at the end of class she came up to me and said, "Are you an opera singer?" and I screamed in enthusiasm and surprise, "LC??????!!!!" I totally weirded her out. She was basing her assumption on the fact that I did lip trills in class as a way to relax the jaw. I thought it was you! I felt a little silly. It was all sort of cute, though. xoxo- Y

Respond to this message   

LC in Queens
(Login LCinQueens)
NFCS Member

LOL...Didn't Hassan give you my message?

March 9 2005, 10:17 AM 

I told him to tell you that he's met LC in Queens and see what you said, but he must have forgotten. If you sub for Jess while she's away, you'll meet me, because I take her basic class on Weds. eve.

Congrats on the Carmen, BTW (Hassan blabbed ).

LC

Peter Schikele

Respond to this message   
yogini
(Login yogamezzo)
NFCS Regular

hassan

March 9 2005, 5:53 PM 

Hassan must've spaced out! Bummer! But that is so cool that you and he know each other! He is one of my FAVORITE people there! xoxoxo- y

Respond to this message   

LC in Queens
(Login LCinQueens)
NFCS Member

Well...

March 10 2005, 10:52 AM 

We just chat whenever I come in for class, but he's such a nice guy, ya know?

LC

Peter Schikele

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login wentwin)
NFCS Member

don't think that is true

March 3 2005, 1:32 PM 

swimming burns 600 calories an hour. Theatre work burns about 130, last time I looked. Besides, if classical singing burned as many calories as swimming, we would all look a lot more like Michael Phelps! However, singing is waaaay better than temping - office work came in at a measley 65 calories an hour. Yuck!

Respond to this message   
Puddles
(Login LaPuddles)
NFCS Member

Uh, no

March 10 2005, 9:44 AM 

Maybe if you're wading through the baby pool.

Of course, it's probably just as easy to define swimming on this forum as it is to define good singing, so who knows.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© 2001-2003 NFCS.NET.
All posts are © their original authors.