The New Forum for Classical Singers

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

AHH! Throat burn from apple cider vinegar!!

March 25 2009 at 6:23 PM
  (Login JonPaulP)
NFCS Member

OK, so someone told me a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar would help remedy my acid reflux. I took a tablespoon and it burned my throat!!!

Now, I'm reading that I could have eroded the lining of my esophogus from chemical burns!!!

Now what? Is this anything serious?

This message has been edited by JonPaulP on Mar 25, 2009 6:29 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(Login onesy)

Re: AHH! Throat burn from apple cider vinegar!!

March 25 2009, 6:52 PM 

I tried that before for reflux and it made me vomit. I think maybe you should just rest it for a while, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Respond to this message   

PinoNoir
(Login PinoNoir)
NFCS Member

it's no big deal

March 25 2009, 6:56 PM 

I gargle and then swallow Apple cider a couple of times when I got a sore throat. It kills whatever it is and I don't get sick. However, I have to make sure that I don't have to sing because I've found that it takes a day for my throat to recover from it. I don't know what it does because it doesn't touch the vocal cords. I don't think it can burn your esophagus because lots of people drink it and people eat vinegar all the time in salad dressing.

Respond to this message   

(Login singwiththespirit)
NFCS Member

I'm still trying to figure out how ingesting something acidic can help acid reflux. nt

March 25 2009, 7:00 PM 

nt

--
Karen Mercedes - contralto
singwiththespirit [at] yahoo [dot] com
http://artfuljesus.0catch.com/karenmercedes.html

fantasy boy

Respond to this message   

PinoNoir
(Login PinoNoir)
NFCS Member

let me change what I said

March 25 2009, 7:20 PM 

Undiluted apple cider vinegar is too strong. If the OP drank undiluted apple cider vinegar, it could have burned his/her esophogus. I once used apple cider vinegar to get the burnt off of a pot, because I read it could do that. Well it did more than that--I forgot about the pot after I had put AC vinegar in full strength. When I went to look at it a few days later, it had cleaned off the burnt but it also burned a hole into the pot!! This was a metal/steel pot. So the stuff is strong.

They don't have any research that proves that AC vinegar helps reflux. Some alternative medicine practitioners say that it has an alkaline effect in the body and that acid reflux also could be due to not having enough acid in the stomach. But that is probably wrong. (I read this on the internet).

Respond to this message   

(Login JonPaulP)
NFCS Member

Re: let me change what I said

March 25 2009, 9:02 PM 

Oh my gosh, are you serious!?! It burned a hole on a metal pot!?

This is what the label says:

Heinz Apple Cider Vinegar.

5% Acidity

Ingredients: Made from the juice of apples diluted with water to a uniform pickling and table strength of 5% (50 Grains) acidity.

This message has been edited by JonPaulP on Mar 25, 2009 9:26 PM

Respond to this message   

(Login BenVenga)
NFCS Member

Vinegar will combat acid reflux?

March 25 2009, 9:06 PM 

LOL - pwnd!!

Now, who told you this, and how are you going to get them back?

ETA: if you're dead-set against going the normal tums/rolaids route, try baking soda. Arm and hammer has the directions written on the box.

"Too much acid? Drink more acid!" LOL!!!

--------------------------------

This message has been edited by BenVenga on Mar 25, 2009 9:09 PM

Respond to this message   

(Login JonPaulP)
NFCS Member

Re: Vinegar will combat acid reflux?

March 25 2009, 9:15 PM 

A family member sent me an email, aahh! Some doctor on TV said something about the stomach producing more acid because it's lacking in acid, so the vinegar will cause the body to produce less acid. They said that antacids are only suppose to be taken for a temporary period and could make things worse.

This better not have permament damage or I am going to be really pissed!!!

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login jazzbaby)
NFCS Member

I use apple cider vinegar all the time.

March 25 2009, 9:45 PM 

I haven't had a problem. I use Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar. It is a remedy for acid reflux, but I use it as a way to get rid of phlegm-I usually put a little in a bottle of water. If I am sick I make a drink with hot water, a little apple cider vinegar and honey. I haven't had a problem taking it alone but I prefer the honey and water! There are many suggested ways to take it online-sorry it hurt you but I really like it.

Respond to this message   

(Login blondieQ)
NFCS Member

Yes, what he said! for what it's worth, I drink this shit daily;)

March 25 2009, 9:51 PM 

What the doctor said--I've read that it actually combats acid by neautralizing acid in the stomach and causes it to produce less. It is also supposedly helps regulate your PH and combats germs/swelling/illness. Again, I'm no doctor so I can't go on and on about why it's so great, but there are supposedly tons of health benefits associated with it and websites devoted to singing its praises.

I put two tablespoons in a shot glass every morning and i take whatever gulp I can, chase it with water, and repeat. I got sick repeatedly in Nov/Dec/Jan and now do everything in my power to avoid that, since it was lame. I've been shooting the vinegar religiously since late Jan, straight up chased by water, and my voice/throat, body, feel great. I'm kinda run down at present due to lack of sleep but thats about it. It hasn't bothered or hurt me so far as I can tell, it's just pretty gross.

On the "pro-apple cider vinegar" websites, there are also recipes for other ways to get your two tablespoons a day, like a special salad dressing recipe, or you can boil it in water and add honey for a kind of tea situation. I've tried that, but I prefer to just get it over with FAST.

BQ

"Until last week, I thought legato was a cured meat!"

--Paul Abhelha, Bathroom Divas

Respond to this message   

(Login JonPaulP)
NFCS Member

Re: Yes, what he said! for what it's worth, I drink this shit daily;)

March 25 2009, 10:04 PM 

So you took it straight and then took some water?

Well, now I'm starting to get a little relieved that I probably didn't cause any significant damage. I didn't drink water immediately after, but I did eat an apple a few minutes later to get rid of the taste. When I took the tablespoon, it felt like my throat was burning and then my mouth started watering as if I were about to vomit.

I have a slight burning sensation in my throat right now. It sort of feels like the kind of severe/moderate sore throat that comes with a cold. Is this normal?

I have an ENT appt next week, so I hope this isn't anything serious.

Respond to this message   

blondieQ
(Login blondieQ)
NFCS Member

I don't shoot it all at once

March 26 2009, 9:58 AM 

I sip it and chase with water immediately till I've finished my vinegar "shot". It usually takes a whole glass as I'm chasing. I don't have a bad taste in my mouth at all afterwards. When I'm done, I consider myself hydrated at the very least, and go about my business.

Hey, who knows if all the health benefits stuff is a myth, but it isn't bothering me in the least, so what the hell. It's so cheap to buy, no skin off my back to give it a chance!

BQ

"Until last week, I thought legato was a cured meat!"

--Paul Abhelha, Bathroom Divas

Respond to this message   

Ben Venga
(Login BenVenga)
NFCS Member

Yes, it's an ancient folk remedy.

March 25 2009, 11:03 PM 

But I am more inclined to believe Beth Fontenot The sour truth about apple cider vinegar - evaluation of therapeutic use.

And don't get an ACV tablet caught in your throat! Esophageal injury by apple cider vinegar tablets and subsequent evaluation of products

I wish there were a miracle remedy that would cure everything that ails ya, but every time I hear somebody singing the praises of this or that (be it acv, blue green algae, kombucha, whatever) I can't help but picture Dulcamara passing out bottles of elixir. (at least they got wine ... kombucha and vinegar taste like ass)

--------------------------------

Respond to this message   

(Login semprelibera84)
NFCS Member

It's also available in pill form...

March 26 2009, 10:15 AM 

I take 2 each morning of apple cider vinegar. It's also good for metabolism purposes, and this form doesn't burn your throat and actually doesn't taste bad at all, as long as you don't keep them in your mouth for too long. Got them on swansonvitamins.com happy.gif

----------

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix

Obama Pictures and McCain Pictures
see Sarah Palin pictures

Respond to this message   

(Login JonPaulP)
NFCS Member

Be careful of the pill

March 26 2009, 5:55 PM 

There have been reports of acid chemical burns of the throat in using the pill form. I can't locate the website right now, but I read about a case where the pill became lodged in a woman's throat with her larynx becoming tender as a result.

"One study found a woman who got an apple cider vinegar supplement stuck in her throat. She seemed to have suffered lasting damage to her esophagus. Vinegar has been known to cause contact burns to the skin."
http://www.webmd.com/diet/apple-cider-vinegar?page=2

"There have been reports of acid chemical burns of the throat in using the pill form."
http://gosublogger.com/2009/01/apple-cider-vinegar-diet-detoxify-your-body/

Respond to this message   

(Login ariagirl13)
NFCS Member

Regular antacids like Tums aren't supposed to be taken for long periods

April 17 2009, 5:43 AM 

A better antacid anyway is Gaviscon. TUMS and the like can cause overproduction of acid because they neutralize all of the acid in the stomach. So the stomach, which is naturally acidic, thinks it needs to make more to compensate. Gaviscon does not work this way. My ENT was the one who turned me on to this because I was have vocal issues because of my reflux. You also know to do things like raise the head of your bed, not to eat late, etc., etc. right?

And actually a lot of people use Braggs and other raw apple cider vinegars for digestive issues, among many many other things. It seems to be a kind of cure-all. For what it's worth, it's really good at getting rid of pleghm if you're having a rather pleghmy day. Just gargle with a little for about thirty seconds and spit it out.

TM

Respond to this message   

PinoNoir
(Login PinoNoir)
NFCS Member

I don't have acid reflux

March 26 2009, 10:25 AM 

Thank goodness. I just used the AC vinegar a couple of times for sore throat and to clean off my pot. It worked both times...except for the hole in the pot!!

Respond to this message   

PinoNoir
(Login PinoNoir)
NFCS Member

yeah it did burn a hole in a metal pot nt.

March 26 2009, 10:50 AM 

nt.

This message has been edited by PinoNoir on Mar 26, 2009 10:50 AM

Respond to this message   

(Login JonPaulP)
NFCS Member

By the way, what's "nt"?

March 26 2009, 5:56 PM 

I'm not familiar with the abbreviations used here happy.gif

Respond to this message   

PinoNoir
(Login PinoNoir)
NFCS Member

nt = no text (the message is blank) nt.

March 26 2009, 6:48 PM 

nt.

Respond to this message   

(Login JonPaulP)
NFCS Member

Re: AHH! Throat burn from apple cider vinegar!!

March 27 2009, 3:13 PM 

OK, so it seems like the pain from both the acid reflux and the vinegar burn has subsided. Could it have actually worked?

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - AHH! Throat burn from apple cider vinegar!!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© 2001-2003 NFCS.NET.
All posts are © their original authors.