<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Rolex Submariner v. BP FF

May 26 2005 at 8:35 AM
ken  (Login Purist1234)

hi all. I have a Rolex Sub and have enjoyed it. HOwever, the bracelet on the FF seems to be so much nice. My question: How do the 2 of them compare? Do they rate equally in terms of shock absorption and use for everyday knocking around? Is one movement more fragile than the other?

Any comparison experiences would be very welcome!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
MSB
(Login m.s.b.)

Sub vs.FF

May 26 2005, 9:25 AM 

Ken,

I owned a Sub for a very long time and it was my first better watch. I purchased a Trilogy series Blancpain ( which includes the Fifty Fathoms) and was equally as hard on it as my Rolex. Morevover, the Blancpain caliber 1151 with date has proven itself to be very durable since its introduction.

The quality of the sub is a joke compared to the Blancpain, and the bracelet on the FF is about twice the quality in finish and flexibility as the Oyster bracelet.

The Piguet movement is finished to a much higher degree than the Rolex movement and has a much slimmer profile. The 1151 is probably slightly less robust than the 3135 caliber which utilises teflon gears and other materials designed for long service intervals. A big bonus with the FF is the 100 hour power reserve.

Here is a link to BP's website with technical info on the FF:

http://www.blancpain.com/e/collections/specialites/?id_collection=Sp%E9cialit%E9s&id_complication=1&id_gender=Men

I do not think there is much to compare in the two pieces but the Sub's resale will be higher than the FF.

MSB

Respond to this message   
dapv
(Login DAPV)
PP Discussion Group

The quality of the sub is a joke

May 28 2005, 2:18 PM 

C'mon now ... that's a bit harsh and emotional. The sub and its bracelet are excellent. That's not to say that the FF and its x71 are not. We're talking two different modalities.

I know no one who takes a FF diving. I know no one who considers his/hers FF a beater.

The sub is a no non-sense untilitarian timepiece. It's not fancy, it just gets the job done.

But it is certainly not a joke.

Blancpain, in general, creates elegant and refined timepieces. Rolex is Rolex.

The sub will take a licking and keep on ticking.

Respond to this message   
MSB
(Login m.s.b.)

The Sub should stay SUB merged-- with the crown left open!

May 28 2005, 7:41 PM 

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you. The quality of the Submariner is an overpriced joke. Any regulated ETA 2824 will be just as robust and for one/half the price. So, the joke is on the public who continue to pay the price (4k) for a watch worth not even half that in terms of fit/finish and quality of construction; Enough has been written on the subject which validates the point.

I have owned both watches in question. I have worn several sport watches with considerably higher quality than my old sub and treated them more roughly without any problems.

MSB

Respond to this message   
dapv
(Login DAPV)
PP Discussion Group

Enough written which validates point.

May 29 2005, 7:59 AM 

True, much "opinion" has been written. What truly validates a point or a watch is relative retail sales, after market sales, and repeat customers.

I too have owned, and still own many watches. They all have their unique idiosyncracies. In general the watches we're discussing, and for that matter, all of the watches I own or have owned are a "joke" in terms of what I have paid for them. The watch companies are highly successful because they sustain profit margins that permit them to exist. But, that could be said about most everything. In fact, what isn't over priced? Certainly the car I drive is, certinly the home I live in is, certainly the taxes I pay are, the groceries, wine, heat, etc, etc.

Try to enjoy that which you are given the gift to enjoy. That can be done without knocking down some one elses enjoyment.

Respond to this message   
reelsmith.
(no login)

Disagree ...

May 29 2005, 12:26 PM 

I couldn't disagree more.

I know several people, including my father in-law, that have worn nothing but a Sub for 30+ years. None of these folks have ever sent their Subs in for repair, ever, only maintenance.

I've have seen posts where ei8htohms praises the Sub. That's testament enough for me.

Dean.

Respond to this message   
ken
(Login Purist1234)

The Sub is a Joke?.....

June 6 2005, 6:31 PM 

well i would not say it is a "joke." Considering only a few people in the world have ever even heard of BP as compared to Rolex, how can you say that Rolex is a "joke?" And, if the Rolex re-sale is better, how can it be a "joke?" We in this forum are fortunate enuff to know about BP, and realize that it is of purportedly high quality, but the Sub is by no means a joke, IMHO. Did you ever hear of someone getting a BP for a retirement gift? I think NOT! they just get a "joke" Rolex as a show of gratification for hard years worked for a company. So, while it may not be up to the par of the BP on many levels it certainly is not a joke! I would guess that most people receiving a BP who did not know about watches would be thinking one thing and one thing only: Why couldn't I have gotten a Rolex!

Respond to this message   
reelsmith.
(Login reelsmith)
AP Discussion Group

How about Sub verses BP FB ...

May 26 2005, 7:15 PM 

Hi Ken,

I've had a Sub and I've had a BP Flyback. While the bracelet (X71) of the BP is well regarded, I did not care for it. There is no breathing room between the links and it actually made my wrist sweat more in the summer months than the BP rubber lined croc strap.

While the SUB bracelet is cheesy in comparison, in practical terms I found it to be the far better bracelet.

Both kept great time and since I babied each of them I cannot tell you which is more fragile, although I would think it would be the Sub.

I sold both of them but am certain I will buy another Sub one day.

Best of luck with your decision.

Dean

Respond to this message   
reelsmith.
(Login reelsmith)
AP Discussion Group

Opppsss....

May 26 2005, 7:20 PM 

I meant: Both kept great time and since I babied each of them I cannot tell you which is more fragile, although I would think it would be the BP.

Sorry for that.

Dean.

Respond to this message   
JSC Miller
(no login)

Rolex vs BP

November 14 2005, 4:18 PM 

I find this post to be very interesting. After reading the responses several times I think rolex fans are confusing brand awareness and cleaver marketing with quality and workmanship and the workings of a true classic. I have owned 3 Rolex submairiners(date, no date, and 50th Ann), a Zenith Chronomaster, a Jaeger LeCoutre Master series and my latest is a Blancpain FF. The workmanship and attention to detail on the FF is outstanding. I find the edges soft and flowing. The polishing is outstanding, right down to the Blancpain on the side, classy touch. Brass tax, the Rolex is a workhorse and the more time you spend learning about watches the more you will begin to understand the difference between workhorses and thoroughbreed. Rolex is mas produced for the masses. Every man from 12 on wants a Rolex, he also might want a Mustang, that doesn't mean he has taste, class, or style.

Nothing against my Rolex's. They were reliable and served me well, but they are the watch choice of the uneducated, mass watch consumer looking for brand awareness. And don't kid yourself, Rolex knows it well. In my honest opinion, Rolex doesn't hold a candle to any of the other watches I own. However, as it was mentioned earlier, "who cares". Enjoy the watch you have choosen wear it with pride and educate yourself and move on.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
ThePuristS.com Home Page