<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Cal 1153 vs 6553

September 2 2006 at 2:56 PM
Benjamin Schiff  (Login Docbenjy)

I am hoping to purchase a Leman Moonphase Military Circa 1990 (recently fully serviced by Blancpain USA incl new crystal). I read an old review which said the movement was a Cal 1153. On the Blancpain website thewatch is described as having a Cal 6553. Is this in fact a different movement? If yes, what was changed/improved? Were there problems with the previous movement? Should this affect my decision to purchase?

Thanks,

Benjamin

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(Login Docbenjy)

Re: Cal 1153 vs 6553

September 2 2006, 7:45 PM 

I just realized that I meant 6763. The watch I'm buying is identified as Ref. 2763. Is this correct for a circa 1990 watch? Has the movement changed over the past 15 years?

Benjamin

Respond to this message   

ei8htohms
(Login ei8htohms)
AP Discussion Group

that movement has probably changed, but not radically

September 3 2006, 12:23 PM 

Hi Benjamin,

Blancpain's caliber and reference numbering system is about as cryptic as they come, but those movements are basically they same, presumably with some minor differences. No movement maker stands completely still for 15 years even if the caliber designation stays the same, but many of the upgrades/modifications may be to individual components that will be applied in either a "mandatory" or "as needed" basis (depending on the type of modification) during a regular service.

In this instance, I wouldn't let the different caliber designations enter into the equation. It's basically the same movement.

_john

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
ThePuristS.com Home Page