<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Question re 2100 Chronograph (ref. 2185)

October 13 2006 at 12:06 PM
Steve  (Login yanagigoshi)

In 2000, when I graduated from Harvard Law School, I received as a gift a Blancpain watch. It’s a 18K gold 2100 Chronograph (ref. 2185) with a solid 18K gold bracelet. As nice a gift as it was, I’ve never worn the watch because I don’t like watches or other jewelry. It sits in a safe deposit box in perfect condition (box and papers too). I would like to sell the watch, but am uncertain what is a fair selling price and how and to whom to sell it. I would appreciate any guidance you could offer.

Thanks,

STEVE

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Larry S.
(no login)

Find the MSRP, then divide it by about 5....

October 13 2006, 3:36 PM 

Blancpains should sell for about 1/5 of their list price, especially a gold one...good luck!

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login yanagigoshi)

Thanks Larry

October 13 2006, 11:34 PM 

I appreciate your suggestion. STEVE

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login adf14)

50-60% is a more appropriate range

October 15 2006, 7:41 PM 

look around in dealers, auction catalogues, and websites before you set your price. 1/5th is much too low.

Respond to this message   
Jack Forster
(Login JackForster)

Hi Steve, I would beware. . .

October 15 2006, 8:59 PM 

. . .of consulting an opinon aside from your own research, if you follow. Check auction sites and look through sales postings on this and other watch related websites and try to get a feel as best you can for the market for preowned Blancpain watches in general and that model in particular and you stand a much better chance of setting a realistic price. Incidentally it sounds like a lovely watch and why not hang onto it? Who knows, it could grow on you .

Jack

Respond to this message   
Steve
(Login yanagigoshi)

My reason for selling

October 16 2006, 6:19 PM 

As to why I'm selling the watch, this might sound heretical, but to me it is neither functional (I've never worn a watch much) nor an object of interest (I'm a trekker and marathoner type). I can, however, appreciate how such watches could be a focus of intense interest; conversely, when I was trekking in the chilly Sikkim Himalaya this past spring, I could appreciate how people could pass on what is my passion. That being said, I waited six years to see if my feelings toward the watch would change; they haven't, so I'll test the market. Thanks for your guidance.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page