<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Drooling over LE rose gold BP Flyback 2185F - Thoughts/comments (esp on price) appreciated

October 31 2006 at 11:01 PM
George  (Login geshaghi2)

Hi all - I'm thinking about purchasing a used limited edition Flyback in rose gold with white face (photo below). Watch is truly beautiful in the photos and has just been serviced by Blancpain. Any thing I should know about these watches? I think it is beautiful, but I have no idea about rarity/wearability/value. Any thoughts, comments or advice are truly appreciated. Thanks

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Kevin
(Login mcklof)

Re: Thoughts/comments (esp on price) appreciated

November 1 2006, 2:52 PM 

I purchased the LE 2185F US Version last year. This was one of 50 produced for the US. The distinguishing features include the rubber strap and the red tipped indicators.

Positives: To date, the actual piece and mechanism have worked like a charm. Very accurate. The chronograph second hand returns to slightly (about 1/4 of a second) before zero when reset. I figure that will be easily resolved when serviced in two years (I estimate that the watch was actually manufactured a few years ago.)

Negatives:

-- Dings easily, which is the reality of wearing an 18k gold piece on a daily basis. Most of the scuffs and scratches will polish out when serviced.

--My biggest complaint and overall disappointment with Blancpain was with the rubber strap. It was an older style that showed wear after no more than two months of use. That included no swimming or physical activity. It is pretty much accepted that this version of the rubber strap was subject to wear, and Blancpain has switched to a more rigid, practical strap in the past few years. I have read other posts where the strap was replaced a no charge because Blancpain acknowledged the problem with the strap. However, I was unable to get this concession from Blancpain through my AD when trying to get it replaced. I've subsequently swtiched to a black Barennia strap. A little dressier, while keeping the spirit of the orignal black on gold combination.

E-mail me if you want to get into price specifics. I just know that Blancpains generally do not hold value comparable to a Rolex or Patek brand.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login DERStowe)

Re: Thoughts/comments (esp on price) appreciated

November 2 2006, 5:00 AM 

But nothing holds value compared to a Patek or a Rolex. Many of Blancpain's dials are just beautiful: whimsical, legible (some or nearly illegible I'll admit) and uniquely theirs, and ideally suited to their cases. Yours is gorgeous.

Respond to this message   
Marvin Silverman
(Login marvinsilverman)
AP Discussion Group

I owned three RG Ltd. Flybacks

November 2 2006, 5:20 AM 

and loved them. Unfortunately, because I have a wandering eye, I sold them. Here are some scans for your enjoyment.

Respond to this message   
George
(Login geshaghi2)

BP Flybacks

November 2 2006, 9:32 PM 

Thanks Marvin. Any thoughts on what a reasonable price is for one of these? BTW, I purchased a watch from you a couple of years ago - an Omega Speedmaster triple-date, blue face. Hope all is well.

Respond to this message   
Marvin Silverman
(Login marvinsilverman)
AP Discussion Group

George, please send me a private email

November 3 2006, 4:23 AM 

( silvermanmarvin@yahoo.com ) and I will send you some of the prices I got when I sold mine. The Purists frowns on discussions of price in the forum.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
ThePuristS.com Home Page