Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Are Bank Holidays worth it?
    • Geoff (no login)
      Posted Apr 10, 2012 7:13 PM

I note that research has suggested that the U.K. economy suffers losses of some 2.6 billion as a result of lost production on Bank Holidays.

I recall that, before I retired, we hated Bank Holidays since the business which would have been conducted on the Bank Holiday was compressed into the days before and after. Those two days were so hectic that any benefit that we might have felt as a result of an extra day off was lost. Industries with continuous processes also find it difficult since many of those processes cannot be switched off for short periods.

May I suggest a solution? Scrap five of the Bank Holidays and give employees an extra week's annual leave in compensation. That way, the pressures experienced by commerce would be greatly reduced whilst manufacturing industry would not suffer the loss of a week's production each year. I'm sure that Forumites will have a view of the menace of Bank Holidays.
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.

Find more forums on Cities & NeighborhoodsCreate your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement