This hangar was erected on the North of the snicket [Porters Pad] which connects Hereward Street to Recreation Road.
At the time of the fire it was being used by one of the Whatton family as a transport garage and alao to store large amounts of farm produce grain etc,
It was alleged that the fire was started when a wagon filling up with petrol at the door at the Eastern end of the property.
I did know the driver who was alleged to have caused the problem.
The burning grain caused a stink which went on for weeks.
I think the fire started on a Thursday and the wind was in the East on that day, timber embers from the fire dropped in the Market place.
My late Father did recall the Whatton family coming to Bourne,he said in a horse and cart.
They were a get up and go family,one brother started the transport business, the other started a timber saw mill located on the site latter used by the Bourne Laundry.
The timber saw mill after awhile relocated to South Road to the South of the railway goods yard.
The transport Whatton lived at the corner of Meadow Gate, he moved away from Bourne after the 39 war when the government took over transport business,illfated action by the government of the day.