<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Monkey Message Board  

Original (undubbed) Japanese dialogue on DVDs?

October 29 2004 at 2:45 PM
Anonymous  (Login hakai)

I got a couple of Monkey episodes on VHS the other year, partly for myself but also for my Japanese wife who used to watch it in Japan when it first came out. However, she was a little put off by the dubbed English dialogue - obviously for English speakers this helps (and, arguably, enhances the show), but for her it gets in the way.

I was pleased to see that there were some undubbed episodes on the DVDs (the previously unbroadcast episodes), but I was wondering if the already dubbed episodes have selectable soundtracks which would allow her to turn of the dubbed dialogue completely.

Can anyone tell me?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(Login saiyuuki)
Owner

You can get original Jap soundtrack for just 13 episodes

October 30 2004, 11:42 AM 

In answer to your question - because there are v. complicated issues whereby Monkey cannot be released in Japan, no-one is allowed to release the episodes with the original Japanese soundtrack - so unfortunately, there's no alternative soundtrack for any of the dubbed 52 episodes.

HOWEVER - if you buy the 13 individual UK (not Australian - they're different) Monkey DVDs, each one contains 4 episodes:
- the first 3 are from the original-dubbed batch of 39 episodes, that everyone knows and loves
- the 4th episode is one of the 13 unseen Monkey episodes (which have since been dubbed into English) - with ORIGINAL JAPANESE DIALOGUE, and with optional English subtitles.

To get these individual DVDs, please see the ordering links on this page:
http://www.monkeyheaven.com/dvds_order.html

However - if you want all 13 DVDs and you want to save money, just buy this limited edition pack containing these 13 previously-released individual UK Monkey DVDs (each with 1 original Jap dialogue episode):
http://www.choicesdirect.com/templates/product.asp?ProductGuid=653067

Hurry though - there's only 500 of these that have been produced!

Hope this helps.

Respond to this message   
hakai
(Login hakai)

Re: You can get original Jap soundtrack for just 13 episodes

November 6 2004, 9:33 PM 

Well, that's kind of semi-good news, thanks. I'll have to get some of the individual DVDs or think about getting the box set. Can you explain (or provide a link) about why the original soundtrack versions can't be issued? My wife said that at some point the story was remade in Japan. Is it something to do with this?

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login saiyuuki)
Owner

Why original Japanese episodes can't be issued

November 8 2004, 7:01 PM 

>Can you explain (or provide a link) about why the
>original soundtrack versions can't be issued?

There are some very complicated rights issues which mean that at this moment in time, Monkey can never be released on video or DVD in Japan.

Because of this - no other country is permitted to release the original Japanese audio soundtrack versions of the episodes - because there would be a risk of these being bought on import by people in Japan. If this happened, there would be very serious consequences - so the ruling is that only English language versions of the episodes may be released.

>My wife said that at some point the story was remade
>in Japan. Is it something to do with this?

There's been several remakes. This isn't the reason why the original Japanese audio cannot be issued.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Monkey Message Board  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement