<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Roseville Scrapbook

August 28 2004 at 8:38 AM
John C. 
from IP address 64.63.223.140

I've been getting a few photos from you guys and wondering how to present them, and it came to me that it might be a good idea to start assembling a Roseville Scrapbook featuring snapshots of the good old days. I'll start working on it this weekend. If you have one to contribute, send it to me attached to an E-mail. However, PLEASE put "Roseville Scrapbook" in the subject so I'll know it's safe to download. Alternatively, if you don't have access to a scanner, you can always just mail it to me. You can contact me at bonaire@thecanteen.com . Let's see what we come up with.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
John C.

Re: Roseville Scrapbook

August 29 2004, 12:31 PM 

Peggie Russo-Millard and Joe Bilby have started us off in this section. The URL is http://www.thecanteen.com/scrapbook01.html . Start digging through those old shoeboxes for photos, folks.

Respond to this message   
Dennis M.

United Nations Photo

August 29 2004, 6:07 PM 

The Photo from the United Nations visit is from May of 1961.

Respond to this message   
Pat McCormick

Re: United Nations Photo

August 30 2004, 6:55 AM 

I think the scrapbook idea is a great idea. Can't wait to see more pictures.

Respond to this message   
Joe Bilby

47 Chevy truck pictures

August 30 2004, 8:05 AM 

I'd like it noted that Ed Nelson, SRL 1958, was the broker of that truck deal -- I think we paid $50 for it.

The photos, taken in the NJ Pine Barrens, are courtesy Bob Kelleman, at the time a fellow Seton Hall student.

Respond to this message   
Marianne

Re: The United Nations Photo

August 31 2004, 2:21 AM 

The photo at the UN was a real surprise. The trip and posing for the picture was an experience. We were all told to be on our best behavior which meant that all we could do was breathe. I believe that Jeff is the fourth boy from the right in the 4th row and Bobby Kiernan is to his right. There are many faces I can recognize, but cannot be sure which is mine.
Thanks, what a great picture!

This message has been edited by from IP address 205.188.116.134 on Sep 1, 2004 2:48 PM

Respond to this message   
Charley Carroll

Gruning's

September 7 2004, 9:22 PM 

I have seen little mention of that wonderful gathering place we frequented and, in some cases, met our future spouses, Gruning's Ice Cream Parlor on Orange St., next to the Fidelity Union Bank on the corner. We spent countless hours there by day and by night. The ice cream was home made and quite rich. There was a large case of chocolate candies (also home made), and across from that a counter where one could choose from the many fountain specialties, order a sandwich or just a cup of coffee. Their coffee was also first rate. Because the owners were German, rumors that they were Nazi sympathizers were passed around. The tiles on the floor had what were reverse swastikas, but that proved to be an old Indian design. They were as patriotic as the rest of us, however.

Respond to this message   
Joe Bilby

Grunings

September 8 2004, 7:55 AM 

Grunings had perhaps the best vanilla ice cream I have ever tasted. When I had my tonsils out in 1950 or so, they gave me Gruning's vanilla -- I could tell because of the taste and the yellow tint. As a kid I used to really enjoy their "dusty road" sundae. When older, in college, I used to go to the Grunings in South Orange village, as well as "Grunings at the Top" up South Orange Avenue, on dates or after Seton Hall basketball games.

About ten or eleven years ago I took my kids up to take a quick tour through the old neighborhood and the Seton Hall campus -- all much changed, of course. I promised them we would eat the best ice cream ever, and drove into South Orange, and then up the mountain -- but alas! Both Grunings were long gone.

Life has been good to me, and most of the changes of life positive, but that is one change that like to broke my heart.

Well, at least Jimmy Buff's still lives

Respond to this message   
Laura Fonden

Grunnings IceCream

September 8 2004, 9:10 AM 

We left Roseville for South Orange in 1970- pretty much I hated SO but the Grunings duo was a real bright spot for us. IMHO- Grunnings had and still has the absolute bestest peach ice cream that I have ever had- Christmas was the awesome ribbon candies and Easter time - well the chocolate bunnies were to die for. Their windows with that cellophane lining for each holiday was magic- I know how you feel- every time I go past that apartment building on SO Avenue where the Grunnings Top was- I get a pang-
You know- I thought that we moved far away from Roseville- I mapquested my old address to the South Orange address- the distance was only four miles!

Respond to this message   
Joe Bilby

Grunnings

September 8 2004, 9:24 AM 

Laura, you say "still has." Is there still a Grunings (Or is it Grunnings? That seems more correct to me.) somewhere? Please say yes

I know what you mean about the distances - they seem vast when you are a litle kid, but they are really rather short. When I first came back to survey the old neighborhod, I started driving down Roseville Avenue from Orange street -- and found myself crossing Bloomfield Avenue in such a short stretch of time I was amazed!

Respond to this message   
Laura

Re: Grunnings

September 8 2004, 9:51 AM 

Alas, Joe- I misspoke- wishful thinking on my part- Grunnings is gone forever- I am horrible with dates- but whenever the SO center Grunnings closed- (the icecream making business was behind that location) - there were rumors for several years about a group buying both the candy and icecream formulas (that were Grunning family secrets) Turned out to be not true-
Too bad- there are no more places like Grunnings or the Palm-Carvel and Baskin Robbins are just not the same.
Do you recall Scharaff's(sp) in downtown Newark? I seem to remember going there as a little kid for lunch with my grandmother- we took the bus and were all dressed up with gloves and hats- it was a real treat but Grunnings was better.

Respond to this message   
Joe Bilby

Grunnings

September 8 2004, 11:00 AM 

Yes, I think Schraft's was a "ladies' luncheon spot" downtown.

There is a place named "Thomas' Sweets" with locations in both New Brunswick and Princeton that has Grunnings level ice cream -- and chocolate.

Respond to this message   
Bill Garrett

Grunnings formulas

July 1 2009, 12:38 PM 

Hi,
You mentioned the family recipies for Grunnings ice cream. Does anyone know where they are, or who owns them? I would love to get into making at least a few of them if they were authentic. My memories of Grunnings are at the Plainfield store. I am sitting looking at an old place mat/menu as I write this. If only I could run down and have a half pint of mint chocolate chip (65 cents hand packed).

As late as 1990 you could still get gallon containers of their ice cream at the Kings market in Short Hills, but no longer.

Bill Garrett
Plainfield

Respond to this message   
Barbara O'Brien Dedman

September 8 2004, 2:24 PM 

it was "Grunings" and I still have a straw wrapper to prove it! And, Joe, I'm with you. I absolutely loved those Dusty Roads at Grunings. They must have been a NJ thing because when I moved to CT I had to explain to the waitresses at Friendlys exactly how to make one. My sons were SOooo embarrassed! Hope to see you and all the other correspondents on this website at the dinner dance. It should be a hoot!

Respond to this message   
John C.

September 8 2004, 3:44 PM 

Don't forget Alumni Day on the preceding Friday, Barb. Swanky spaghetti dinner!

Strong before our birth are the Sons of the Garden State.

Respond to this message   
Barbara O'Brien Dedman

September 8 2004, 8:19 PM 

I may be there on Friday, John. I did request the day off so that I could go down to Newark with my brother Ray ('50), but as the date gets closer it seems like a long haul to make round trip in one day, only to return to Jersey from central CT the next day for the dinner dance. If only I had a private jet...

Respond to this message   
Dan Daly

Grunnings Ice Cream

September 9 2004, 1:52 AM 

While it's not Grunnings, Denville Diary in the center of Denville on Broadway has some of the best ice cream around. For those coming west just take Rt 46 West and upon entering Denville take the road off of 46 near the Lake Arowhead sign, this is Bloomfield Avenue, which leads into Broadway. Two blocks down on your right is the store.

Respond to this message   
John C.

Re: Grunnings Ice Cream

September 9 2004, 7:19 AM 

Barb, it's the off-season, so motel rooms are cheap. Spluge! It's only once a year.

Respond to this message   
Joe Bilby

Denville

September 9 2004, 8:20 AM 

I had a cousin who lived in Denville and we used to drive up Bloomfield Avenue, which became Rte 46, to get there -- it took an hour or so. It was pretty rural in those days - I think they got indoor toilets around 1950.

I remember catching fish and turtles and hunting fossils at a couple of lakes that were on either side of a railroad track, as well as shooting my cousin's .22 rifle. I loved all that stuff and I was always kind of disappointed to come back to Newark -- of course we had other conveniences in the city -- like flush toilets and easily available comic books and candy stores -- and of course, Grunnings.

I imagine that if I went to Denville today I would not recognize anything. Oh yes, one last note -- there was a good ice cream place on Rte. 46 in those days, I think in Whippany -- it was called O'Dowd's and attached to a dairy farm, if I recall correctly.

Respond to this message   
mike mclafferty 52

Re: Denville

September 9 2004, 8:43 PM 

joe o'dowds was the second best ice cream , they had the largest sunday's with that high whipcream.
behind the store was a bowling alley.

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>