<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to Bodholt's  

First Aid Squad Members

July 20 2006 at 6:37 PM

from IP address 63.197.157.195

Any members here from the old first aid squads in Newark?

I was a member of the North Ward Squad from 1981 until 1983 and then the Ironbound Squad from 1983 to 1986.

I originally lived on Lake Street and then moved to North 7th Street.

Dan

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Roseville First Aid Ambulance Squad

July 22 2006, 10:29 PM 

Hi Dan, I belonged to the Roseville First Aid Squad Ambulance Squad which was established in 1961. It was an outgrowth of St. Roses Church. A committee was formed to creat a first aid squad like they had in Vailsburg. In fact one of the Vailsburg First Aiders James G. O'Brien became the first Chief of the Squad. Our first office location was in the old Franklin Bank branch office on the corner of Orange & Gray Streets. The Ambulances were kept across the street on Gray street near the school. We had two ambulances. We responded to calls in the Roseville Area and in North Newark. Our hours were from 6PM to 12Midnight during the week and 6AM Saturday until midnight on Sunday. However when we went off at night we had a crew who would be on standby. Our answering system would notify the crew captain and he in turn would notify the others. I don't remember when, but about two years after we were in service, the Roseville Lions Club bought us a Harvester International truck style ambulance, which was the state of the art back then. I left the Squad in 1964 and joined the Newark Fire Department's Auxiliary Section and worked out of Engine 15 on Park Avenue. Don't really know when the squad disbanded.

Respond to this message   

MEMORIES

September 9 2006, 3:34 PM 

HI GUYS
I DON'T KNOW HOW OR WHY I WAS DRAWN TO THIS WEBSITE TODAY SINCE
I CAN'T REMEMBER WHEN I WAS ON LAST BUT ANYWAY I READ DAN GERARDS MESSAGE AND I CAN'T FOR THE LIFE OF ME REMEMBER HIM BEING A MEMBER? THE YEARS ARE PLAYING TRICKS ON ME.I ALSO HAVE SOME GOOD MEMORIES OF THE SQUAD AND SOME OF THE PEOPLE SOME I TRY TO FORGET. I STILL GO TO THE FIREMEN'S PARADE IN NEWARK EVERY YEAR AND I SEE AN AMBULANCE THAT SAYS ROSEVILLE FIRST AID SQUAD ON IT. I DON'T KNOW ANY OF THE PEOPLE AND WAS TEMPTED
TO ASK WHERE THEY GOT THE OLD AMBULANCE? YES DAN GERARD THIS IS
UNIVERSITY'S ANN MARTIN ALL THE YEARS WE WORKED TOGETHER WE NEVER NEW AT LEAST I DIDNT HOPE ALL IS WELL. LOVE ANN

Respond to this message   

Original Members

September 12 2006, 11:48 PM 

Hi Ann, It's been a long time since we talked. I think Dan "G" said he was a member of the North Ward First Aid Squand and Ironbound First Aid, not Roseville. Anyway remember when we had to ride on friday nights to the different hospitals for clean sheets and towels? Remember I could never spell your name, so I just wrote Sant-----------. The meatball hogies we had after a bloody job? We had good times in that Squad. I'm going to E-mail you on your site.....Dan

Respond to this message   

Roseville First Aid Squad

October 2 2006, 12:39 PM 

Sorry I took so long to reply. I am currently the Chairman of the Paramedic Division for the National Association of EMTs, so I spend a lot of time in D.C. and other parts of the country.

When I was a member of North Ward First Aid Squad, I asked Tony Imperiale one time where he got the 'first' ambulance for the squad. He said it was given to him by the former president of the Roseville First Aid Squad. He mentioned his name, but I have to tell you I had that conversation with Tony in 1981. Tony started the North Ward First Aid Squad in 1967 or 1968 I can't remember which.

Years later we accepted an ambulance from the Vailsburg Squad when one of ours, North Ward 7, caught fire and burned.

Vailsburg was on the verge of going out service (permanently) and the International they gave us was in excellent condition. They also threw in some equipment.

I was on the North Ward Squad from 1981 until 1983. I was then on the Ironbound Squad from 1983 until 1986.

I was also an EMT and later a paramedic at University Hospital from August 1983 until November 2001.

Stay safe,

Dan

Respond to this message   
JE

WHERE'S LE ROY

October 2 2006, 2:59 PM 

HOW DID YOU INTERFACE WITH LEROY SMITH? I HEARD HE HAD A
HEART ATTACK? WASN'T HE THE CAPO D TUTTI FRUITTI OF THE
EMERGENCY UNITS AT MARTLAND (UNIVERSITY) HOSPITAL.
HE STARTED IN THE ROSEVILLE UNIT IN THE 60'S.
AS WELL AS RAN THE PAL SUMMER BASEBALL PROGRAM.

Respond to this message   

Re: Where's LeRoy

October 2 2006, 3:23 PM 

I believe LeRoy is still there. He is the Deputy Director of EMS and yes he had a couple of heart-attacks.

The last I heard he still lives on North 10th Street off of 2nd Avenue.

I haven't seen LeRoy since 2003. I moved out to California where I am the EMS Coordinator for the Alameda Fire Department.

Le Roy used to something with the Little League, he would take kids on trips out of state and down to Puerto Rico for tournaments, but to be honest after his heart problems I could not say whether or not he still does that.

Dan

Respond to this message   

Re: Where's LeRoy

October 2 2006, 3:32 PM 

I missed that part about "HOW DID YOU INTERFACE WITH LEROY SMITH?"

As little as possible...actually I stopped paying attention to Le Roy sometime around September of 1984...and I started working there August of 1984, so it didn't take me that long.

Dan

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - First Aid Squad Members
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to Bodholt's