This photo, part of the George Conrad Collection, shows the business side of the Public Service Building
, built in 1916 to alleviate streetcar congestion downtown. From this upper level, cars traveled down to Mulberry Street and thence to the suburbs. (The entrance to the lower level, the Cedar Street Subway, was accessed from Washington Street.) Other buildings visible in this photo are the Prudential (far left) and next to it the old Main Post Office. To the right, in bad shape today but still standing, is the Wiss Building.
Also from that collection, this 23 Central car has turned off Mulberry Street and is about to ascend to the building's upper level: