<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to Bodholt's  

About this photo (6 June)

June 6 2012 at 5:36 PM

from IP address 66.189.158.202

[linked image]
Well, things ain't what they used to be. The once grand S. Klein department store closed in 1976, but not before offering one and all a good deal "on the square."

Of course, the store went all the way back to Halsey Street:

[linked image]

Photo by Glenn Gersheimer

This message has been edited by cbonaire from IP address 66.189.158.202 on Jun 6, 2012 10:38 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Re: About this photo (6 June)

June 7 2012, 11:06 PM 

Who's got an S. Klein memory?

Just before Christmas in 1967 my pal Hector Morales (may he rest in peace) and I went downtown to S. Klein, where I purchased the Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour album in the record department. We proceded to the cafeteria, where I opened the album and took the record out to look at the label. But wait! I had been given a record by Buck Owens and the Buckaroos! I took it back to the record department and showed the clerk the album and demanded another one. He said "Nice try, kid" and told me to beat it. He accused me of chicanery! My protestations went nowhere, so my we made a big scene and cursed him out. He came around the counter after us and I knocked over a display as we took off. I never did rectify the error, because we went down the street to Woolworth's, where Hector shoplifted one for me. Friends were good for something back then.

Respond to this message   
John C.

June 9 2012, 3:06 PM 

Well, somebody must have an S. Klein story.

Respond to this message   
Laura D

I used to shop @ Kleins

June 9 2012, 10:00 PM 

My memories of shopping at Kleins was the Ladies Dept that had posters of Marlon Brando astride a motorcycle in the Wild Ones, Barbra Striesand in Funny Girl and Steve McQueen .... I got my beloved stretch pants, pastel mohair sweaters, tent dresses, 'mod hats' stovepipe pants, assorted Easter outfits there....
I did have a few friend that "shoplifted there reqularly" ah humm...
I do recall buying green nailpolish in Kleins circa 1972, they had an entire 'Cabaret' section.... probably my one of my last shopping trips to Newark since we moved to So Orange in '70

Respond to this message   

June 15 2012, 8:27 PM 

So sorry to hear that Hector is no longer with us. We went to Sessex Ave. School together. May he rest in peace.

Respond to this message   
Mike

June 15 2012, 8:30 PM 

Of course, that should have read Sussex Ave.

Respond to this message   

S KLEINS ON THE SQUARE

July 20 2012, 7:40 PM 

Hi everyone, I was a shopper at Kleins. In fact my Mother bought me a graduation dress there. I think it was $ 4.00. That was in 1953. When you walked into the store there were tables and tables of underwear, socks, etc. all thrown about. Not folded or neat, but they did have good prices.

Respond to this message   
ROConnor

SKlein

June 10 2012, 10:19 AM 

Yeah, took a trip to So. Cal. in June 1966 driving along the famous Route 66 and snapping a wealth of photos along the way including the Painted Desert, Mojave Reservations and many other beautiful and classic sights that are now part of the historic past of that famous road. Had about 10 rolls of film that I took to the photo dept. at Klein's to be developed into slides. Went to pick them up and they had no record of them anywhere. I suspect they're still in the building, or maybe in someone's old family album that will be uncovered in an attic of a house being cleaned out for an estate sale. Anyway, somewhere there's a nice collection of those shots that no one can trace to the photographer.

Respond to this message   

Pigeons

June 17 2012, 1:51 AM 

Here's a story for you John. S.Klein's had been closed for many years. Since that time the place has been taken over by legions of pigeons. They roam the entire building. One day a brother police officer told me that he and his partner observed a few teens(code 171's) coming out of a broken window on the West Park Street side. They grabed them and while conducting a field interrogation found out that the Chinese restuarant at the corner of West Park & Halsey Streets would pay five dollars a pigeon if brought alive to them. Needless to say that restuarant never saw a Newark cop as a customer again.PS: The restuarant has since been torn down along with the rest of the buildings on that site. S. Klein's is still there with more and more pigeons.

Respond to this message   
Pat Davis

Re: Pigeons

June 17 2012, 9:52 AM 

I knew it! And everyone said it was just in my head! Go with your gut.

Respond to this message   

Re: Pigeons

June 17 2012, 1:06 PM 

I wondered why there was a feather in my chop suey!

Respond to this message   

Halsey Place

July 21 2012, 5:32 PM 

My aunt had a millinery shop on Halsey Place.

Respond to this message   
Peggie Russo-MIllard

Re: Halsey Place

July 22 2012, 1:47 AM 

I shopped at your aunts store. Loved it.

Respond to this message   
Bob Davis Jr.

Re: Halsey Place

July 22 2012, 6:30 AM 

When I was in the limousine business, I had the pleasure to work for Mr. Klein on several occasions. He would always like to talk about Downtown Newark. I remember he was always very nice, polite and kind. This all took place back in the early 90's. At that time he was well into his 80's. He lived in the Cherry Hill section of Livingston. I believe his Father was the family member who started the business way back when! He was one of my favorite clients!!!!BD

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - About this photo (6 June)
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to Bodholt's