QB / QB64 Discussion Forum     Other Subforums, Links and Downloads

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Batch file error.

October 30 2004 at 7:15 PM
Heliostrapolis  (no login)

I have a batch file that I found on a disk.
I have no idea what it does and when I try to open it to see what it says, Notepad tells me that "Access is denied"
Why for does it do that?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(no login)

*did you try copying it to the HD first?

November 1 2004, 9:34 AM 

Respond to this message   
Heliostrapolis
(no login)

*Yeah, It's right on the Hard drive. In My Documents(winxp)*

November 1 2004, 11:40 AM 

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Do you have the rights to that file?

November 1 2004, 4:09 PM 

Let me see if I follow you. You are trying to open a batch file in notepad, using the edit shell extension? You should at least be able to view it, even if it has some attributes set, like read-only. I can only surmise that somehow you set the access rights to that file, and locked yourself out. To change them back, you'll have to log in as administrator. Maybe even your antivirus software prevents access to batch files?

Respond to this message   
Helio
(no login)

Curious

November 1 2004, 4:59 PM 

I have the batch file, on my hard disk, in My documents. I right click the file and then click on "Edit." Notepad opens and gives me the error message.

If I open notepad, then goto file->open-> et cetera and do things that way, I still get the same error message.

I am an administrator, well my account is "computer administrator" and I can open other batch files. However, my antivirus program, keeps telling me that the batch file IS a virus. Now, I'm not going to run it, just in case it is, I just want to see what's inside.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

It seems there is some malicious code in that file.

November 2 2004, 7:12 AM 

Obviously your anti virus is blocking access to that file. If you really wanted to see whats in it, you could turn off your antivirust software and open it in note pad. It should only cause trouble if you run it. If you're still worried, you could try it on another computer.

What does your virus software say about the file?

Respond to this message   
Helio
(no login)

Re: It seems there is some malicious code in that file.

November 2 2004, 10:13 AM 

AVG antivirus says

Virus
Virus Found Kilroy
Blah Blah Blah
I forget the rest.

I turned off all my antivirus stuff, and I still could not open the file. I haven't access another computer to try it on so I'm boned there. I'll probably just delete it, as it doesn't seem too important.

Respond to this message   

(Login ComputerGhost)
R

About trying the file on another computer...

November 2 2004, 1:46 PM 

I could do that for you. I have a computer that I use just for trying out stuff that might be harmful.

Don't email the file to me 'cause hotmail gives me problems with attachments. Instead, put it on the web somewhere for free.

If you can't get it to upload then sorry, but I can't help in any other way.

Respond to this message   
Iain McPhee
(Login Iain_Mcphee)
R

*Try opening it with DOS's Edit

November 2 2004, 3:12 PM 

+

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Wha saw the 42nd
Wha saw them gang away?
Wha saw the 42nd
Marching down the Broomielaw.

Respond to this message   
the unknown qb programmer
(no login)

if you're in windows xp

November 4 2004, 2:26 PM 

you can boot into safe mode (f8 before the spash screen comes up) and right click it and go to properties, there will now magically be a "security" tab that only shows up in safe mode where you can choose your permissions. by screwing around with that (under "advanced" you might have to take ownership of the file) you should be able to get it to open with notepad. (as long as you have your antivirus software turned off).

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Alrighty now.

November 8 2004, 8:50 PM 

I tried dos' edit -> didn't work
I tried uploading it via Angelfire -> didn't work(well I could upload it, but angelfire won't allow people to download batch files)
I haven't tried the safe mode thingy yet but . . . .

Respond to this message   

(no login)

*this file could also have the wrong extension, could be an exe

November 8 2004, 9:30 PM 

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Batch file error.
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Newbies usually go to www.qbasic.com and click on The QBasic Forum
Forum regulars have their own ways, which include The QBasic Community Forums