QB / QB64 Discussion Forum     Other Subforums, Links and Downloads

<< Previous TopicReturn to Index  

Reply to mennonite from main forum.

June 6 2008 at 6:55 PM
Pete  (no login)

First of all, I checked my Gmail but didn't see a message. Anyone is certainly welcome to email me with any questions, concerns, etc. about the forum. So instead, I'll post a reply here: My positive points for anyone to join the "R" group you should actually like because I can use your own principal to make the "R" Group point. mennonite, you like to help newbies, right? OK, here is a case where a newbie of sorts needs help but it is also a fairly special case because he doesn't speak English. He might copy your code and find that it doesn't work but not know he could fix it using your next post. If you could edit it, your chances of helping such an individual would be improved. Because of that, I'd like to know if it would be OK with you if I do that edit this time for you?

Now here is the flip side. I don't even know that if you joined N54 that you could sign in on a proxy server and make the whole thing work. I'm not sure if anyone else knows the answer to that question, either. If not, joining the "R" Group and using it would also mean changing the way you come here. That's asking a lot.

So, I think you are on the teeter totter on this one. I'd like you to join the "R" Group if you continue a pattern of multiple posts. My guess is that other members would appreciate that too, but certainly not demand it. Ideally being an "R" Group member is to make things easier for the member, easier for the admin, and better for the forum. For you to join would make things easier for me and provided you used it, better for the forum (posts like this one for example) However, because of the way you surf the Net, it might be impossible to make it so and it certainly seems it would be more difficult. I'm even wondering if you would be denied quarterly login and have to login to N54 every day?

You do the important thing, which is to work towards a solution for the OP but if you could do it with fewer replies to self posts, yes, I'd appreciate it. As far as joining or not joining the "R" Group, it's a bit like the right to vote. Everybody in the U.S. has that right but NOT enough people respect that also means Americans have the right not to vote. For instance, I won't vote for a choice between two candidates I have absolutely no faith in. And of course, you have the same rights to decide if joining the "R" Group is right or not right for you, too.

Pete

- I just went 4 paragraphs without making a joke or a pun. Now I need medication.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
mennonite
(no login)

never assume there is one solution per problem

June 6 2008, 8:01 PM 

usually there are more. if i'm posting too much to correct myself, i'll simply correctr myself less. (good opportunity right there.) less, that's easy to say. it's more than none, and not nearly as much as more. it's possible.

it might be possible to edit posts. obviously i'm not willing to change everything, and it would probably be tedious (if possible) to edit, but you and i both know i put effort into what i do, this wouldn't be any different.

i don't know what your email is. if it's as simple as turning on javascript and having a look at your name, where a link magically appears, you don't need to tell me. it's been a long time since i kept your address, gmail or other. obviously i'll need it to join.

and if i join, i'll probably post twice at times, although i'll have the option of editing (hypothetically.) options are good. one of the main reasons i never joined was, there was never any need, but if it'll help that much, hell, i'll see what's possible. it's true i don't always edit the posts i make on myst's forum, but it is nice to be able to.

i don't know why you didn't make any jokes. it's nice to see glimpses of the old pete these days, the one who used humor to make things easier. i don't always use that here on this forum, but i learned a lot from him. and it's a lot more useful than watching that horrible dr. phil, the only guy who would be funnier if oprah had nothing to do with it. but the one i miss the most, is martha. i'd like to put her and macgyver in a kitchen and see who wins, making things out of ordinary household items. (my money's on martha, naturally. macgyver can't even make a pie without blowing it up.)

Respond to this message   
Pete
(no login)

My email address is next to most of my post now...

June 6 2008, 8:52 PM 

I'm not sure if you need Java Script enabled to see it or not. What most people see is the names of each post contributor under the "Author and Date" column, Some in black, no email, and some in hypertext blue, which when clicked, open your default email program with the address from the link included. So you should be able to get it there if you need it but if not, try putting laughterweb and an "at" sign then gmail dot com together. If you need help with that, ask Macgyver.

Pete

This message has been edited by iorr5t on Jun 6, 2008 8:53 PM

Respond to this message   
mennonite
(no login)

yeah, like i said

June 7 2008, 4:28 AM 

"if it's as simple as turning on javascript and having a look at your name, where a link magically appears, you don't need to tell me."

i've never turned on javascript to check for your email that way, because in the past i didn't think you put one there. i see there's one there now.

Respond to this message   
qbguy
(no login)

Yes, you need Javascript

June 7 2008, 5:59 AM 

I tried it in w3m (Linux text browser) and there weren't any links for any of the user names.

Respond to this message   
mennonite
(no login)

yeah, i know...

June 7 2008, 6:15 AM 

i sent an email to pete last night. i logged in and so far, no evidence that i've joined anything. it's the weekend, pete's probably asleep. also i think it's only 6am his time.

Respond to this message   
Pete
(Login The-Universe)
Admin

Checked Gmail but no email!

June 7 2008, 7:42 AM 

But if you joined N54, all you need to do is respond to this message and supply your exact N54 user name you registered with. NO PASSWORD is needed, just the user name. Since this is the first "R" Group addition I will be making, I might have left some detail I will need out; however, that is the way I understand the process to be. I could have just tried using "mennonite" but I don't like to make assumptions. Some people think they can get the name they use here but when they go to register, it has been taken.

Oh, and thanks guys for the info on the JavaScript. I'm trying to get an addition to the forum user FAQ and need to include anything like that if it isn't already there. Mostly, I'm working on inserting objects... (shut up Ted) and other features that were added but I don't believe were documented anywhere.

Thanks,

Pete

This message has been edited by The-Universe on Jun 7, 2008 8:59 AM

Respond to this message   
mennonite
(no login)

no email, that's odd

June 7 2008, 11:17 AM 

oh well. it's "mennonite."

Respond to this message   
Pete
(Login The-Universe)
Admin

No, no, no....

June 7 2008, 11:44 AM 

It's not "mennonite." it's "mennonite" remember, I stated "exact" member login name and you put a period in there! (j/k)

Well the login name mennonite is now a registered member of the "R" Group but unfortunately, the offer of the free pirate eye patch has expired. Anyway, give it a try and see if it works.

And welcome aboard matey!

Pete

Respond to this message   
mennonite
(Login mennonite)

i knew you were going to say that

June 7 2008, 12:06 PM 

let's see if n54 lets me edit this:

edit 1

This message has been edited by mennonite on Jun 7, 2008 12:07 PM

Respond to this message   
Clippy
(Login burger2227)
R

* Oh my! Well, there goes my welcome..........

June 7 2008, 12:08 PM 

Respond to this message   
mennonite
(no login)

ROFL... you saw it before editing?

June 7 2008, 12:13 PM 

apologies to your mother :)

Respond to this message   
Pete
(Login The-Universe)
Admin

While we're are ROFLing... I did get your email, but...

June 7 2008, 3:23 PM 

I had to think what could have gone wrong... And then I thought, what would irony do? Sure enough, I've never clicked the folder before but my Gmail considers you as SPAM!

Sorry I didn't figure that out before. Anyway, I'm glad the N54 "G" group can work through a proxy. That's pretty cool, because a lot of things cannot.

Pete

Respond to this message   
Clippy
(Login burger2227)
R

* Now that you have his email, just add it to contacts

June 7 2008, 3:40 PM 

Respond to this message   
mennonite
(no login)

yes, thank you for not posting it publically

June 7 2008, 4:20 PM 

i don't know what he means by contacts.

anyway, i suspected that it was in your spam folder. oh well, at least it sent.

Respond to this message   
Clippy
(Login burger2227)
R

* If Pete replied, then it should not be in Spam anymore

June 7 2008, 4:29 PM 

Respond to this message   
mennonite
(no login)

he hasn't

June 7 2008, 4:38 PM 

but now he probably won't :)

i looked, i don't have a spam folder.

Respond to this message   
Clippy
(Login burger2227)
R

* No, but Gmail has one and you need to set the contacts.

June 8 2008, 4:01 PM 

Respond to this message   
mennonite
(no login)

yeah but you're assuming he doesn't want them in "spam"

June 9 2008, 6:01 PM 

hey hey

Respond to this message   
Clippy
(Login burger2227)
R

* your right! Your emails probably do belong in spam :-P

June 9 2008, 7:41 PM 

Respond to this message   

<< Previous TopicReturn to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Newbies usually go to www.qbasic.com and click on The QBasic Forum
Forum regulars have their own ways, which include The QBasic Community Forums