BACK TO MESSAGE LIST  

How many Baptisms?

February 15 2012 at 4:16 PM
No score for this post
Dave  (Login dpeirce)

Response to lol

OK, now we have the Baptism of Water and the Spirit, then the baptism of the Holy Spirit (or Holy Ghost, as some say), and now the baptism of the 'breath of life'?

However, Scripture still says there is one Baptism, so I'd have to assume that is correct -- and that all the different 'baptisms' are contained in the One Baptism in Water and the Spirit. Once you have the Spirit, you have the Spirit - and such of his gifts as he in his sovereignty has apportioned to you. You are free, of course, to ask for additional gifts.

Jay listed 8 or 10 different baptisms also, from Scripture. Basically, he listed the Baptism into Moses, or the Law, which doesn't convey the Spirit, and the Baptism into Water and the Spirit, which does. I looked up "baptism" on a Bible search, and it looks like we probably could find 30 or 40 more kinds of baptism.

But that's the advantage of sticking with the Church, Sandy. Because the ancient Church passed its teachings down to us, I know that "We acknowledge One Baptism for the forgiveness of sins". That is WHY that phrase was included in the Nicene Creed, which we say weekly to remind us about our basic beliefs and doctrines. It's one of the tools Jesus has given us through his Church to help us keep straight and unified.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement