Respond to this messageBACK TO MESSAGE LIST
Original Message
  • Logic 101 (Reasoning)
    • JVH (o¿O) (no login)
      Posted May 7, 2009 3:45 PM

http://www.candleinthedark.com/logic.html

Logic (Greek: logos = "word", "speech", "reason") is the science that evaluates valid reasoning within arguments. That's it.

Surprised?

Many people think logic refers to a lot more than just that. However,
      Logic is not a set of laws that governs the universe - that's physics.
      Logic is not a set of laws that governs human behavior - that's psychology.
      Logic is no a method for 'studying the world', that's science.
      Logic is not the method for assessing axioms, that's a matter of pure reason.
      Logic is not a way of evaluating 'truth' - that's philosophy.
      Logic is not transcendent or immaterial - that's incoherent, as these terms have no ontological status, i.e., no positive way of identifying them.

Logic is simply a set of rules, created by sentient beings, meant to tell us when an argument 'works', i.e., when an argument supports the conclusion the arguer wants to make.

In short, a logical argument produces a true conclusion, if we pour true premises into it. That's it!

Reasoning 101: What matters in the end is whether the reasoning is sound; justifying the premises, and whether the argument form is valid; proper inference.
      When a an argument is deductive, valid and sound, its conclusion is true no matter how disturbing, how counter-intuitive, how emotionally unsatisfying the conclusion. http://www.iep.utm.edu/f/fallacy.htm
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Your Email
    (Optional)
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options Also send responses to my email address

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement