Respond to this messageBACK TO MESSAGE LIST
Original Message
  • Re: Origins and Morality (More On Psalm 14:1 and 53:1)
    • Dave (Login dpeirce)
      Posted May 30, 2011 2:27 PM

Fairly good article. I would certainly agree that a person's beliefs influence his actions, and that the same applies to society. And I would agree that a Godless person or society is an evil and perverted thing. But I have to wonder about blaming all of man's and society's evil on a belief in Darwinian evolution, That is waaay too simplistic, IMHO: What caused the evils of people and societies BEFORE Darwin???

Rather, evil results from eliminating God from the process.

Personally, I probably am more like the Theistic Evolutionists the author describes in page 5. God has created the universe and everything in it. The Biblical account describes that in theological terms, while science (and evolution) describe more or less HOW it was done in physical terms. It would seem that God created the basis of everything instantaneously in the Beginning, but that he has continued his creation using a process which we describe as evolution. That accounts both for the theology and the tentative 'scientific understanding' we have from what we can observe in the natural world. The scientific explanation is subject to change as we observe more, but the theological explanation is already fixed as 'revealed knowledge'.

The problem, therefore (as I see it, anyway), is not in accepting evolution - but in describing it in terms that make God unnecessary; by attributing everything to 'accidental' development without creation and Deity. If God is removed from the process, then we don't owe him anything - including fear and obedience - and we and our society go to pot.

But attributing the whole decline of Man to Darwin and evolution is way too simple, and leaves out the evils of all the societies before ours in history. The Romans, for example, didn't teach 'evolution', but were exceedingly corrupt. Nor did the Abyssinians or Babylonians, or the residents of Babel, or Adam and Eve.

????

In faith, Dave
      Viva Texas
      dave@christos.cjb.net, dpeirce@christian.net

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived.
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Your Email
    (Optional)
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options Also send responses to my email address

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement