<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>BACK TO MESSAGE LIST  

A Look At The Epistle of James (Chapter 1)

April 19 2011 at 7:11 PM
No score for this post

(Premier Login RevJack2006)
Discussing folks

1:1. "James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting."

Who is this James that penned this epistle? He was James the half-brother of Jesus (Mark 6:3) and brother of Jude (Matthew 13:55) and leader of the church in Jerusalem. Although some have suggested that this James could have been the son of Zebedee (Matthew 4:21) but he was martyred too early to have written this epistle. This leaves only James the half-brother of Jesus, and at first he rejected Jesus as the Messiah (John 7:5), but later became a believer (1 Corinthians 15:7) and became the leader of the Jerusalem church (Acts 12:17; 15:13; 21:18; Galatians 2:12) and was called one of the pillars of that church along with Peter and John (Galatians 2:9). According to Josephus, James was martyred in 62 A.D. Comparing the vocabulary used in the letter James wrote in Acts 15 to the vocabulary used by the author of the Epistle of James we have further corroboration that the Epistle was written by James the half-brother of Jesus.

James refers to himself as a "servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ. The Greek word translated as "servant" is doulos and is better rendered as bond-servant which in the Greek culture of the day referred to the involuntary , permanent service of a slave. The apostle Paul magnifies the meaning of this Greek word by using it in its Hebrew sense to describe a servant who willingly commits himself to serve a master whom he respects and loves. (See Exodus 21:5, 6; Galatians 1:10; Titus 1:1; and compare with Genesis 26:24; Numbers 12:17; 2 Samuel 7:5; and Isaiah 53:11).

The twelve tribes of Israel is a common title used in the New Testament to refer to the Jews (Matthew 19:28; Acts 26:7; Revelation 7:4).

Scattered abroad refers to the Jews living outside the land of Palestine (1 Peter 1:1).

Pastor Jack Howell

"Some bring God's curse on them by marking off part of the Bible, calling it erroneous, uninspired, less than the very Word of God." - Dr. John R. Rice

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God to salvation to every one that believes; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek." (Romans 1:16)

MY BLOG

Proper Principles of Bible Study

Documents

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

This message has been edited by RevJack2006 on Apr 20, 2011 4:07 AM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dave
(Login dpeirce)

James

No score for this post
April 19 2011, 7:47 PM 

"James refers to himself as a "servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ. The Greek word translated as "servant" is doulos and is better rendered as bond-servant which in the Greek culture of the day referred to the involuntary , permanent service of a slave."

This reminds me of how many people believe the Bible is against slavery... but it mentions people being slaves or servants of God or Christ in many places. Another example is Romans 1:1.

To me, the important things about James is that he reminds us that our faiths must be ACTIVE and not just in words only.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas
dave@christos.cjb.net, dpeirce@christian.net

In a Texas Church, the choir is known as the "OK Chorale", and their robes have "Sponsored by Billy-Bobs Bar-B-Que" written across the back.

(Login year2027)

James

No score for this post
April 20 2011, 3:30 AM 

God first

thanks Jack

do you not know the different from flesh and spirit

James a weak fleshly human that could do nothing

It was spirit inside James that wrote this book

James of himself could write anything

without God we are nothing we can do nothing of ourself

with love and a holy kiss Roy

Date Posted: 19:20:19 07/30/02 Tue
Author: Sola laughing in da E-Vile Spirit In Those Fleeing
Author Host/IP: 66.141.17.101
Subject: Why can't JuJu 'Splain THIS?????? HUM?

Those with eyes see for yourself.

According to his own information, juju-jack was originally in the Church of Christ cult. He was raised by a parent who was a member.

Here is a quote from a former member of Church of Christ cult see if there are any similarities in juju-jacks device:

I quit the church about a month into my so-called membership, and the day ended by my calling the cops at 12:00AM to get one of their members off my front porch. The day after I ended up unplugging my phone and then I ordered "call-block" from my phone co...I remember after my departure from the ICoC about a month later I ran into some of the ICoC members at a football game, I tell you the truth that they would not even look at me. I have no idea what's going through their minds, but I know it has something to do with "mind control," (Ric).

These remind one much of the type of preying, abusive tactic and threatening actions Jack Howell uses. After he was exposed as a false prophet of the WOF cult, his demons start cranking him into the abusive manipulative tactics he was likely raised with and has perfected over his adult life.

We on this board have been repeatedly threatened with police and various other actions and warned of persons knocking at our doors, shutting down our servers, etc. etc. Smoke Stack Ju-Ju-Jack! He is unstable! And uses COC methodology.

Here is another quote from a former member of the Church of Christ:

I must admit, the ICC is a very strong church. I quit after two months of membership and the people who used to be my 'friends and family' no longer wish to speak to me as I am now in ' a church that is not ordained by GOD', i.e. a non-ICC church. Please stay away from this group, they are a very controlling group. Before you realize it, they have taken over your life and the longer you stay, the harder it becomes to quit.

Jack who has been asked not to post here he is preying on this site. He posted with a proxy server below the following: it is NOT required to go to Bible college or cemetary, excuse me, I mean seminary, to be licensed or ordained as a minister. ( I think he meant cemetery, BTW youd think an ordained, licensed, bishop.did I miss any? Oh yeh and reverend would have preformed enough services to know the correct spelling of that particular word, or HAS he preformed routine services?) Can he mean he is ordained of God? In Church of Christ-type of parlance?

In a his dialectical attempt to change the emphasis of the below post, and re-direct attention away from the salient point being made, black jack attempted to trounce on Dollys point that the mans pattern and HISTORY IS THAT OF unbalanced behavior, as he compulsively bounces from one extreme of beliefs to another. From the upbringing in the Church of Christ cult, to being Born Again shortly there after. To being licensed to preach the gospel (joining hands with mammon) in less than a year of being saved. To then being ordained only two years later. Then becoming a WITCH shortly after THAT! The man is erratic. He charges head-long into one extreme after another in a short course of time. This according to HIS own information which he whored all over the forums and demanded Johns to admire it!

Now that we are examining his words and exposing him as a fraud, he is angry. Too bad. tisk. tisk.

Date Posted: 19:36:19 07/30/02 Tue
Author: Rev. Jack Howell
Author Host/IP: 68.12.221.220
Subject: Re: Why can't JuJu 'Splain THIS?????? HUM?
In reply to: Sola laughing in da E-Vile Spirit In Those Fleeing 's message, "Why can't JuJu 'Splain THIS?????? HUM?" on 19:20:19 07/30/02 Tue

ICC is NOT Church of Christ. It is an heretical off-shoot rejected by the Church of Christ denomination. Too bad you don't have the decency and honesty to present that fact as was provided for you from CRI and Hank Hannegraf's Perspectives #'s DC 612 and DC 615 and available for FREE download from www.equip.org.

Date Posted: 19:44:16 07/30/02 Tue
Author: Sola
Author Host/IP: 66.141.17.101
In reply to: Rev. Jack Howell 's message, "Re: Why can't JuJu 'Splain THIS?????? HUM?" on 19:36:19 07/30/02 Tue

JuJu, JuJu, JuJu.....it was NOT from the site you state, cuppy cake. Tisk. Tisk. You have trouble with truth, don't you?

According to his own information, juju-jack was originally in the Church of Christ cult. He was raised by a parent who was a member.

Here is a quote from a former member of Church of Christ cult see if there are any similarities in juju-jacks device:

I quit the church about a month into my so-called membership, and the day ended by my calling the cops at 12:00AM to get one of their members off my front porch. The day after I ended up unplugging my phone and then I ordered "call-block" from my phone co...I remember after my departure from the ICoC about a month later I ran into some of the ICoC members at a football game, I tell you the truth that they would not even look at me. I have no idea what's going through their minds, but I know it has something to do with "mind control," (Ric).

These remind one much of the type of preying, abusive tactic and threatening actions Jack Howell uses. After he was exposed as a false prophet of the WOF cult, his demons start cranking him into the abusive manipulative tactics he was likely raised with and has perfected over his adult life.

We on this board have been repeatedly threatened with police and various other actions and warned of persons knocking at our doors, shutting down our servers, etc. etc. Smoke Stack Ju-Ju-Jack! He is unstable! And uses COC methodology.

Here is another quote from a former member of the Church of Christ:

I must admit, the ICC is a very strong church. I quit after two months of membership and the people who used to be my 'friends and family' no longer wish to speak to me as I am now in ' a church that is not ordained by GOD', i.e. a non-ICC church. Please stay away from this group, they are a very controlling group. Before you realize it, they have taken over your life and the longer you stay, the harder it becomes to quit.

Jack who has been asked not to post here he is preying on this site. He posted with a proxy server below the following: it is NOT required to go to Bible college or cemetary, excuse me, I mean seminary, to be licensed or ordained as a minister. ( I think he meant cemetery, BTW youd think an ordained, licensed, bishop.did I miss any? Oh yeh and reverend would have preformed enough services to know the correct spelling of that particular word, or HAS he preformed routine services?) Can he mean he is ordained of God? In Church of Christ-type of parlance?

In a his dialectical attempt to change the emphasis of the below post, and re-direct attention away from the salient point being made, black jack attempted to trounce on Dollys point that the mans pattern and HISTORY IS THAT OF unbalanced behavior, as he compulsively bounces from one extreme of beliefs to another. From the upbringing in the Church of Christ cult, to being Born Again shortly there after. To being licensed to preach the gospel (joining hands with mammon) in less than a year of being saved. To then being ordained only two years later. Then becoming a WITCH shortly after THAT! The man is erratic. He charges head-long into one extreme after another in a short course of time. This according to HIS own information which he whored all over the forums and demanded Johns to admire it!

Now that we are examining his words and exposing him as a fraud, he is angry.

Date Posted: 19:47:02 07/30/02 Tue
Author: Rev. Jack Howell
Author Host/IP: 68.12.221.220
In reply to: Sola 's message, "Re: Why can't JuJu 'Splain THIS?????? HUM?" on 19:44:16 07/30/02 Tue

That is from a former member of the ICC also known as the Boston Movement and have that very quote in my files. Sorry, you are still being dishonest, thus proving you do not know Christ and are therefore not a Christian, but a counterfeit.

This message has been edited by year2027 on Jun 16, 2011 8:07 PM

Discussing folks

Actually Roy

No score for this post
April 20 2011, 4:46 AM 

I know quite well the difference between spirit and flesh. Perhaps more so than you realize. It was the Holy Ghost who moved James to write his epistle according to 2 Peter 1:20-21.

Pastor Jack Howell

"Some bring God's curse on them by marking off part of the Bible, calling it erroneous, uninspired, less than the very Word of God." - Dr. John R. Rice

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God to salvation to every one that believes; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek." (Romans 1:16)

MY BLOG

Documents

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

This message has been edited by RevJack2006 on Apr 21, 2011 4:48 AM

Dave
(Login dpeirce)

Yes

No score for this post
April 20 2011, 9:59 AM 

It's important to note WHICH spirit in James furnished the inspiration for the Letter. It was the Holy Spirit, not the spirit of James or another spirit.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas

Sign at Church: "Let us help you study for your final exam".

Discussing folks

James (Chapter 1 Con't)

No score for this post
April 20 2011, 4:42 AM 

1:2. "My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;"

My brethren. This refers to the Jewish Believers among those living outside the land of Palestine.

The Greek word hegeomai translated as count can also be translated as "consider, esteem, deem" and is so rendered in many modern versions of the Bible such as the NASB. Even though the natural human response to undergoing trials is not to be joyful, but to sulk, have pity parties, and look for someone to blame for their troubles, James is telling his readers to put forth a conscious effort to face the trials he/she goes through with joy.

1:3. "Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience."

Herein is why we should face our trials with joy. When we undergo trials our faith is strengthened. It's one thing to have faith in the Lord when everything is going well, but quite another when our faith is being tested, proven by trial. The Greek word dokimion means "testing; by implication trustworthiness." In modern colloquialism this would be "where the rubber meets the road." A tire's trsutworthiness is tested on the road and proven. Our faith is tested and proven trustworthy when we endure trials without wavering.

1:4. "But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing."

Patience (Greek: hupomone) is better rendered as endurance. It is through trials that a Christian learns to withstand the pressures that trials place on him/her until it is removed by God. Trials are therefore beneficial in that they exercise our faith, making it stronger just as bodily exercise makes the physical body stronger.

(To be continued.)

Pastor Jack Howell

MY BLOG

Documents

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Discussing folks

James Chapter 1 (Con't)

No score for this post
April 21 2011, 4:46 AM 

1:5. "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."

Wisdom. This is not a wisdom of philosophical speculation, but wisdom found in the absolutes of God's Will and revealed in His Word, and the Jews to whom James was writing understood that this wisdom was the understanding and practical knowledge necessary to live life in a way that glorifies God.

Ask of God. If a Believer is undergoing a trial and does not know how to deal with it in a way that glorifies God, he/she is to ask God for the wisdom to do so. God has an abundance of wisdom (Romans 11:33) that is available for any who seek it.

Pastor Jack Howell

MY BLOG

Documents

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Dave
(Login dpeirce)

Re: James Chapter 1 (Con't)

No score for this post
April 21 2011, 12:13 PM 

The problem with 'wisdom' is that we define it wrongly: We define it as OUR wisdom; instead, wisdom is the submissive ability to seek GOD'S answers in a situation.

Using human 'wisdom' leads to hokey eastern-type philosophies like those espoused in several places on this forum, below. Hokey, in this instance, equals 'false'. People like human wisdom because it leaves them in charge - while Godly wisdom requires submission to Someone higher and people don't like that.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas
Dave@christos.cjb.net, dpeirce@christian.net

What part of "Thou shalt not" don't you understand?

Discussing folks

Correct Dave

No score for this post
April 21 2011, 8:00 PM 

Far too often people want to substitute man's so-called wisdom for the wisdom of God and claim it to be "divine, esoteric, or some other fancy shmancy term to make it seem deep and profound. Satan and his demons are experts at deceiving people that way. That kind of "wisdom is not from above, but earthly, sensual, devilish (James 3:15) whereas "the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy" (James 3:17).

Pastor Jack Howell

MY BLOG

Documents

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Dave
(no login)

This format

No score for this post
April 21 2011, 9:14 PM 

I like this format for your discussion of James. A little bit at a time with time to ponder between. Hope you finish the Letter, although I realize it would be a lot of work.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas

I just bought a life-sized autographed photograph of Mary and Joseph!!

Discussing folks

Yes...

No score for this post
April 22 2011, 4:14 AM 

I do plan on finishing the letter of James and this is my preferred format for doing any online Bible study.

Pastor Jack Howell

MY BLOG

Documents

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

This message has been edited by RevJack2006 on Apr 22, 2011 4:59 AM

Discussing folks

James (Chapter 1 Con't)

No score for this post
April 22 2011, 4:31 AM 

1:6. "But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed."

But let him ask in faith nothing wavering. Faith is essential to answered prayer, and this is why many times a prayer will go unanswered. We go through the motions of petitioning God in prayer, but don't really believe He will move on our behalf and answer. This is especially true when we are undergoing a trial. The circumstances and duration of the trial may make it seem impossible for God to move on our behalf. It's always easy to believe God to answer our prayers when things are going good, but when a trial comes our way, then doubt will sometimes set in and we must overcome the doubt with faith.

Like a wave of the sea. The Christian who doubts that God will provide the wisdom to endure the trial is likened to the waves of the sea with their ebbs and flows, unable to settle. Therefore, we must have absolute faith in God that He WILL give us the wisdom we need.

Pastor Jack Howell

MY BLOG

Documents

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Dave
(Login dpeirce)

Re: James (Chapter 1 Con't)

No score for this post
April 22 2011, 10:26 AM 

There's the old story about the people who went to Church to pray for rain but no one brought their umbrellas happy.gif.

However, there's also Thomas' prayer: "Lord, I believe; help my unbelief".

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas
Dave@christos.cjb.net, dpeirce@christian.net

Eternity: Smoking section, or Non-smoking?

Discussing folks

James Chapter 1 (Con't)

No score for this post
April 22 2011, 6:09 PM 

1:7. "For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord."

If a person's faith is constantly wavering back and forth between belief and doubt, he/she should not expect to have his/her petition answered by God. Belief is a prerequisite to answered prayer as well as receiving a miracle from God. I am reminded of Mark 6:5 where Jesus could only heal a few sick people because of the unbelief He encountered.

Pastor Jack Howell

MY BLOG

Documents

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Dave
(Login dpeirce)

Faith and answered prayer

No score for this post
April 22 2011, 6:49 PM 

"If a person's faith is constantly wavering back and forth between belief and doubt, he/she should not expect to have his/her petition answered by God."

I might not agree entirely there. It probably is true normally, but not always: In honesty, I can't say my faith is steady at all, but I have had a number of my prayers answered and a couple of miracles too. Maybe mercy plays a part in which prayers God answers? Or, does "He's trying at least some of the time" help? happy.gif

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas

Sign at Church: "Let us help you study for your final exam".

Discussing folks

Yes...

No score for this post
April 22 2011, 9:10 PM 

God can and often will answer a prayer in spite of ourselves, but the verse, I think is saying that because of the wavering back and forth there is no reason to expect the petition to be answered.

Pastor Jack Howell

MY BLOG

Documents

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Dave
(Login dpeirce)

Re: Yes...

No score for this post
April 22 2011, 9:23 PM 

Yes, I would have no right to EXPECT an answer. But, weak as my faith is sometimes, God has preserved me from death twice and from paralysis once. Those are the miracles I KNOW about; there probably have been more. And he has answered many prayers for me.

Now if he would only answer our prayer for rain!!! We have trees chasing dogs over here! happy.gif

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas

The meek will inherit the earth... If that's OK with you.

Discussing folks

James (Chapter 1 Con't)

No score for this post
April 23 2011, 4:24 AM 

1:8. "A double minded man is unstable in all his ways."

The person whose faith constantly wavers from belief to doubt is regarded as being double-minded and spiritually unstable. The idea is that of a person with divided allegiance.

Pastor Jack Howell

MY BLOG

Documents

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Discussing folks

James Chapter 1 (Con't)

No score for this post
April 25 2011, 7:17 AM 

1.9. "Let the brother of low degree rejoice in that he is exalted."

Low degree. This is better understood as "humble circumstances" as rendered in the NASB and others. In other words, one who is poor. Even though a poor Believer may not have material goods or wealth to boast about, he/she can rejoice in the fact that God is no respecter of persons and does not treat the poor any differently than the wealthy, and that both have the privilege of being identified with Christ by means of the new birth.

Pastor Jack Howell

MY BLOG

Documents

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Dave
(Login dpeirce)

Wealth

No score for this post
April 25 2011, 11:27 AM 

We certainly have got away from that verse. The goal of most in modern society is wealth, preferably gained without working for it, and self-gratification.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas

I'm so poor I'm not even fit to be tithed.

Discussing folks

Re: Wealth

No score for this post
April 27 2011, 5:58 PM 

Sadly, those who have wealth don't seem content with what they have and are always pursuing more wealth, and never finding happiness in it.

Pastor Jack Howell

MY BLOG

Documents

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Dave
(Login dpeirce)

Re: Wealth

No score for this post
April 28 2011, 4:58 PM 

That kind of greed, and its resulting unhappiness, is one of Satan's best jokes on us. He laughs happiest when he can get us to do it to ourselves!!

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas

Our King is ascended for us.... Tell somebody!

Discussing folks

James Chapter 1 (Con't)

No score for this post
April 26 2011, 4:25 AM 

1:10. "But the rich, in that he is made low: because as the flower of the grass he shall pass away.

In that he is made low. This is better rendered as "his humiliation" as in the NASB and others. The idea is that the rich person is humiliated either by losing his wealth, or that he came through some trial or circumstance so that he/she would realize that wealth means very little and is only temporary. True wealth and happiness are found in living for and serving God; not in material wealth.

Pastor Jack Howell

MY BLOG

Documents

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

This message has been edited by RevJack2006 on Apr 26, 2011 4:26 AM

Discussing folks

James Chapter 1 (Con't)

No score for this post
April 27 2011, 4:20 AM 

1:11. "For the sun is no sooner risen with a burning heat, but it withereth the grass, and the flower thereof falleth, and the grace of the fashion of it perisheth: so also shall the rich man fade away in his ways."

Here James alludes to the flowers and flowering grass of Palestine which are in abundance in February and dry up in May. Scholars believe James had Isaiah 40:6-8 in mind as these verses speak of the sirocco wind, which is a scorching wind that burns and destroys plant life in its path. One Bible scholar states that this is a picture from nature illustrating how divinely wrought death and judgment can quickly end the person's dependence on material possessions and I'm inclined to agree with him. (See also Proverbs 27:24).

Pastor Jack Howell

MY BLOG

Documents

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Dave
(Login dpeirce)

No score for this post
April 27 2011, 3:41 PM 

"For the sun is no sooner risen with a burning heat, but it withereth the grass, and the flower thereof falleth, and the grace of the fashion of it perisheth: so also shall the rich man fade away in his ways."

So also will pass those who look to this world rather than the world above. Some of these present flowers seem awful pretty, but they will fall over and wither, and will be gone, and a new Earth and a new Heaven will come down. That's the one we want to look toward. MHO: Rich people tend to look only at this world because that's where their wealth is. It's easier for poor people to look at the world above because they aren't invested that much in this world anyway.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas

Why do people tell each other dirty jokes without fear, but think twice before saying something about Jesus?

Discussing folks

James Chapter 1 (Con't)

No score for this post
April 28 2011, 4:38 AM 

1:12. "Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him."

To successfully endure a trial to its completion truly makes a Believer happy because he/she has emerged from it victorious.

For when he is tried. Some versions such as the NASB render this as "for once he has been approved" others render it as "for once he has passed the test." Passing the test or enduring the trial and emerging victorious demonstrates that he/she is a genuine Believer due to the fact they came out of the trial with their faith intact.

Crown of life. This is better rendered as "the crown which is life." Here James alludes to the wreath that was placed upon the head of the victor in the ancient Greek games, and James uses it to picture the Believer's ultimate reward which is eternal life that God has promised to genuine Believers.

Pastor Jack Howell

MY BLOG

Documents

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Dave
(Login dpeirce)

No score for this post
April 28 2011, 4:54 PM 

"Passing the test or enduring the trial and emerging victorious demonstrates that he/she is a genuine Believer due to the fact they came out of the trial with their faith intact."

Me, I've been tested many times; I've emerged with my faith intact even if not victorious. But I know I'll be tested again, and someday.....

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas

When you try to get even with someone, you are only letting that person continue to hurt you.

Discussing folks

James Chapter 1 (Con't)

No score for this post
April 29 2011, 5:27 AM 

1:13. "Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man."

God, by His very nature has no capacity for sin and therefore cannot be tempted to sin, and neither can He tempt anyone to sin. He does allow various trials to come our way and with each trial, He provides the way of escaping it (1 Corinthians 10:13).

Pastor Jack Howell

MY BLOG

Documents

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

(Login dpeirce)

Question about sin

No score for this post
April 29 2011, 11:18 AM 

"God, by His very nature has no capacity for sin and therefore cannot be tempted to sin..."

A question: Jesus incarnated was fully man as well as fully God; as man, couldn't he have sinned?

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas

When I say 'I am a Christian', I am not shouting that 'I am clean living'. I'm whispering 'I was lost, but now I'm found and forgiven.'

Discussing folks

Re: Question About Sin

No score for this post
April 29 2011, 3:06 PM 

As a man, Jesus was tempted in like manner that we are tempted, but did not give in to the temptation to sin.

Pastor Jack Howell

MY BLOG

Documents

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Dave
(Login dpeirce)

Agreed . ( NT )

No score for this post
April 29 2011, 4:31 PM 

Discussing folks

James Chapter 1 (Con't)

No score for this post
April 30 2011, 4:47 AM 

1:14. "But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed."

James is using the picture of a hunter luring his prey from its safe abode into traps. Likewise the devil uses our fallen nature to lure us from the safety found in Christ into the trap of sin.

Drawn away. The Greek word denotes the idea of wild game being lured into a trap. Just as animals can be drawn to their deaths by means of enticing bait, so too, temptation lures us into sin by promising something good that will actually bring us harm.

His own lust. This is a reference to the soul's desire to enjoy or obtain something to fulfill the flesh. Our fallen nature leans toward strongly desiring whatever sin will bring it satisfaction. "His own" refers to each person's own lust nature which is different with each person as something that might lure one person may not lure another. Lust is the direct cause of sin (Matthew 15:18-20).

Enticed. This is a fishing term that means "to capture" or "to capture with bait" (compare with 2Peter 2:14, 18).

Pastor Jack Howell

MY BLOG

Documents

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Discussing folks

James Chapter 1 (Con't)

No score for this post
May 2 2011, 6:38 AM 

1:15. "Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death."

While some may view sin as something that takes place "on the spur of the moment," it is also the result of a process.

Hath conceived. The Greek word translated as conceived is sullambano and is used by James to likeen the result to physical conception.

Bringeth forth. This is better rendered as "gives birth" as in the NASB and other versions. The Greek word is tikto and is used by James to liken sin as the end result of lust. Thus lust, if it is dwelt upon conceives and gives birth to sin.

Bringeth forth death. This can refer to both spiritual death which is separation from God and physical death which is the separation from the soul and spirit from the physical body.

Pastor Jack Howell

MY BLOG

Documents

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Discussing folks

James Chapter 1 (Con't)

No score for this post
May 2 2011, 9:15 PM 

1:16. "Do not err, my beloved brethren."

Do not err. This is better translated as "do not be deceived" as in the NASB and others. The Greek denotes not being led astray, do not wander away, and we do this when we blame God rather than ourselves for our sin since God does not tempt anybody to sin. We and we alone are responsible for our sins. Even the excuse "the devil made me do it" is unacceptable because satan cannot make us do anything we don't want to do. All he can do is entice us. WE have the choice to resist the temptation or give in to it.

Pastor Jack Howell

MY BLOG

Documents

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Dave
(Login dpeirce)

No score for this post
May 4 2011, 7:03 PM 

1:16 - Make no mistake about this, my dear brothers.

17 - Every worthwhile gift, every genuine benefit, comes from above, descending from the Father of the heavenly luminaries, who cannot change, and who is never shadowed over.

This is one of Satan's biggest deceptions: To get us thinking that WE make the good gifts, and that WE can overshadow God.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas

"God is dead, and we killed him": Nietzsche. "Hmmnnnn....": God.

Discussing folks

James Chapter 1 (Con't)

No score for this post
May 5 2011, 4:42 AM 

1:17. "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning."

There are two different Greek words for gift in use in this verse. The first one is dosis which denotes the act of giving and the second is dorema which denotes the thing given. The use of the two different words emphasizes the perfection as well as the inclusiveness of the gracious nature of God. Everything God gives us is adequate to our needs, and is complete and beneficial to us.

Father of lights. This is an ancient Hebrew expression for God as the Creator. "Lights" is a reference to the sun, moon, and stars (Genesis 1:14-19).

With whom there is no variablenss, neither shadow of turning. From the perspective of man on the earth, the planets, and stars have different phases of movement and change from day to night and have variance in intensity and shadow that they produce, however, God does not follow this celestial pattern because He is changeless ( Malachi 3:6; 1 John 1:5).

Pastor Jack Howell

MY BLOG

Documents

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Discussing folks

James Chapter 1 (Con't)

No score for this post
May 9 2011, 6:47 AM 

1:18. "Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures."

James is referring to the New Birth, that is, being born anew of the Spirit and Word of God (John 3:3-7; Ephesians 5:26; 1 Peter 1:23).

Of his own will. This phrase translates the Greek word boulethei denoting that the new birth or regeneration is a present reality and not a pipe dream or wish that takes place at some future time as some cults erroneously teach. The Greek word denotes that this is an active expression of God's will. James put this phrase at the beginning of the sentence to emphasize to his readers that the sovereign will of God is the source of our new life in Christ.

Begat he us. This is better rendered as "he brought us forth" as in the NASB and others and refers to the new birth as mentioned previously.

Word of truth. This is the Word of God (John 17:17). We are regenerated or born anew by the Holy Ghost through the power of the Word of God.

Firstfruits. This is an Old Testament expression that refers to the first and best harvest crops which God required as an offering (Exodus 23:19; Leviticus 23:9-14; Deuteronomy 26:1-19). Christians are the first evidence of the new creation that is to come (2Peter 3:10-13) and which we enjoy presently in the new life in Christ which is but a foretaste of the glory to come.

Pastor Jack Howell

MY BLOG

Documents

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Discussing folks

James Chapter 1 (Con't)

No score for this post
May 10 2011, 4:45 AM 

1:19. "Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath."

Swift to hear. Christians should have a positive response to scripture since it is the Word of God and we should eagerly pursue God's will in our lives.

Slow to speak. This is a reference to preaching the word. One should be cautious about deciding to become a preacher or a teacher of the Word too quickly. 1Timothy 3:6 Also has a similar caution. A Believer who is not adequately prepared for a life of ministry could easily become puffed up with pride and set himself up for a big fall. Also, if he does not diligently study the word of God he can easily be duped into false teaching. Becoming a preacher or teacher of the Word should not be a decision made in haste or in the spur of the moment, but should be one made after much prayer.

Slow to wrath. A preacher or teacher of the Word should not be short-tempered. The apostle Paul also speaks about this to young Timothy at 1 Timothy 3:3 and 1 Timothy 5:22.

Pastor Jack Howell

MY BLOG

Documents

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Discussing folks

James Chapter 1 (Con't)

No score for this post
May 11 2011, 4:20 AM 

1:20. "For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God."

This verse explains the previous verse. Man's wrath can't work the righteousness that God requires. A good example used by commentators is that of Israel's zeal in murdering the prophets, their own Messiah, and His followers.

Wrath. The Greek word orge denotes a deep-seated resentment and rejection of God's Word.

Pastor Jack Howell

MY BLOG

Documents

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Discussing folks

James Chapter 1 (Con't)

No score for this post
May 12 2011, 4:45 AM 

1:21. "Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls."

Lay apart. The Greek tense is "having put off" as one does with dirty garments and James is stressing the importance of putting off sin prior to receiving the Word of God.

Filthiness. This refers to moral filthiness such as impure and unholy affections, vileness, and all forms of debauchery and depravity.

Superfluity of naughtiness. Wickedness which refers to evil desires or intentions.

Meekness. In order to receive the Word of God and let it work in us to change us, we must have a humble attitude.

Pastor Jack Howell

MY BLOG

Documents

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Discussing folks

James Chapter 1 (Con't)

No score for this post
May 16 2011, 6:39 AM 

1:22. "But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves."

Don't just listen to the Word of God - put it into action in your life! A Christian who believes he should just sit back and be a hearer of the Word only, and not a doer, only deludes himself.

Pastor Jack Howell

MY BLOG

Documents

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

This message has been edited by RevJack2006 on May 17, 2011 4:06 AM

Discussing folks

James Chapter 1 (Con't)

No score for this post
May 17 2011, 4:19 AM 

1:23. "For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass."

Beholding. The Greek word Katanoeo means to observe carefully and cautiously as opposed to a mere glance.

Glass. The Greek word translated as "glass" is Esoptron and means a mirror. The mirrors of the time were not made of glass, but were made of flattened highly polished bronze, silver, or gold. The reflected image was not perfect, but served the purpose.

Pastor Jack Howell

MY BLOG

Documents

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Discussing folks

James Chapter 1 (Con't)

No score for this post
May 19 2011, 4:22 AM 

1:24. "For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was."

Unless a Believer acts with promptness upon hearing the Word, they will forget the changes in their life that the reflection showed that they need to make. When we hear the Word we must put it into action in our lives promptly.

Pastor Jack Howell

MY BLOG

Documents

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Discussing folks

James Chapter 1 (Con't)

No score for this post
May 21 2011, 6:03 AM 

1:25. "But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed."

The law of liberty is the Word of God. Both the Old and New Testaments call God's Word "law" (Psalm 19:7).

Liberty. This is genuine freedom from sin. When the principles of God's Word begin to be applied in our lives we are freed from the bondage of sin and no longer slaves to sin and empowered to obey God (John 8:34-36).

Blessed in his deed. Obedience to God and His Word bring blessings in our lives.

Pastor Jack Howell

MY BLOG

Documents

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Discussing folks

James Chapter 1 (Con't)

No score for this post
May 23 2011, 6:50 AM 

1:26. "If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain."

Religious. This refers to ceremonial public worship (see Acts 26:5). The word "religious" is translated from the Greek word Threskos and James used it to differentiate the outward form of religion from godliness which comes from applying the Word of God in our lives and allowing it to change us into the image of Christ after having been born anew from the Spirit and Word of God.

Bridleth not his tongue. To bridle something means to have it under control and hear refers to the purity of heart. Purity of heart is often revealed by the words we speak and the self-control we have in our speech.

One who appears religious on the outside, but who is actually merely going through the motions of being religious and does not have his speech under control is fooling himself. Being born anew of the Spirit and Word of God WILL produce change in one's life, and if there is no change there was no new birth.

Pastor Jack Howell

MY BLOG

Documents

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Dave
(Login dpeirce)

Laying aside, and accepting

No score for this post
May 17 2011, 11:08 AM 

Laying aside sin is hard, but receiving the Word with meekness is even harder. People always think they have a "better" word than the Word of God.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas

Why do we believe everything the world tells us, but question everything Jesus tells us?

Dave
(Login dpeirce)

Speaking quickly

No score for this post
May 17 2011, 10:54 AM 

This one will always be hard! Me, I think "slow to speak" might apply in all situations, not just in preaching. However, we should be quick to speak in support of others, or in support of God's word.

Many are slow to speak in support of God's word but quick to speak against it.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas

Texas Benediction: "Y'all come back now, Ya hear?"

QUITTNER
(no login)

About "The Epistle of James"

No score for this post
April 20 2011, 9:37 AM 

See also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epistle_of_James

Discussing folks

More Accurate Information

No score for this post
April 20 2011, 3:26 PM 

http://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/gills-exposition-of-the-bible/james-1-introduction.html
http://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/peoples-new-testament/james/introduction.html
http://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/scofield-reference-notes/james/james-introduction.html
http://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/jamieson-fausset-brown/james/james-introduction.html

Pastor Jack Howell

MY BLOG

Documents

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Current Topic - A Look At The Epistle of James (Chapter 1)
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>BACK TO MESSAGE LIST  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement