There is no limit to ways in which you can have more fun at work. Some things however will depend on the size of the organization and the onsite services available to the company. ScanSource, Inc. is a 15 year old $2B global distributor of specialty technology products with 1000+ employees. How fun can that be, you ask? Well, we practice levity to the nth degree. Some ideas of our fun to spark your own creativity....
1. Designate a FUN MONTH - we bring in specialists to do lunch and learns on topics like financial planning/local activities of interest/parks & recreation, etc. We build a $$$ tree with gift cards of various ranges and award prizes for employees who bring real success stories of how they add FUN to their work - all departments.
2. In the summer, our cafeteria does company-wide all you can eat BBQs in our outdoor courtyard under the tent - $6.
3. We installed automatic soap and paper towel dispensers in the bathrooms 6 months ago. People still talk about this today - makes the simple things in life easy!
4. We hold brief 10 minute meetings without chairs -- keeps people on time and on task.
5. We bend over backwards to continue the company traditions of a family summer outing and a holiday party for the entire company. Including extended family in the company makes for happier employees.
6. We decorate at Halloween, Christmas and Easter and have employees bring kids to take holiday pictures and experience mom or dad's workplace.
7. We established our own charitable foundation to give employees an opportunity to give their time, talents and rewards back to our local community. You can actually have FUN doing it.
I could go on and on. It's important that the leadership team understands the Levity Effect and participates in activities too. It's crtiical to long term success.