An American Summer

December 22 2002 at 8:25 AM
Frank Deford  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

Fiction Book Club
An American Summer
by Frank Deford
Buy book: $16.09
Set in 1954, Frank Deford’s touching novel, An American Summer, is the story of a fourteen year-old boy, Christy Bannister. Years later, as he looks back on those nostalgic last days of youthful innocence, Christy tells the story of his rare friendship with the twentythree-year-old Kathryn Slade. Once a beutiful young woman, Kathryn is a quadriplegic who lives in an iron lung—a victim of the great scourge of that time: polio. Christy can only see her face and hear her spunky and courageous voice.

This message has been edited by chapteraday on Jan 18, 2005 3:28 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Doris
(no login)

"Frank Deford"

December 26 2002, 12:23 PM 

Well, looks like not much reading going on during this Christmas week. But I did get into this one and am enjoying it. As usual when I like a book, will try to find other books by the author. So I went to BAM and found only sports books and that he is a sportscaster on ESPN. I am not especially a sports fan but my husband is so may find something for him as he does not read fiction, thinks it is a waste of time and I cannot convince him that you can learn a lot in fiction also.

So for any of you sports fans out there, you may want to check him out. Hope everyone had a Happy Christmas ---

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

"Correction"

December 26 2002, 12:56 PM 

Think I misspoke, seems Frank Deford is a sports journalist and also senior editor at espn. Just to set the record straight for you Frank Deford devotees. Anyway, check him out. -- Doris --

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Re: "Frank Deford"

December 30 2002, 10:05 AM 

Think I found another one for my reading list. Sparked my interest!

Respond to this message   
Cookie
(no login)

Engaging

December 27 2002, 6:39 AM 

Thanks to a few days off for the holidays, I can actually sit and enjoy my weekly book in the morning.
I am finding this book a pleasure. It certainly brings back lots of memories of growing up. Deford knows that time period and adds the right touches for those readers who can identify with what is said and what goes on. Christy certainly is a loving character. Very special.
I hated to see it come to an end this morning, but that's what this is all about isn't it? I'm going to add this title to my list. I received a gift card to Border's Books for Christmas so I'm set! I can also see if it's available at our local libraries right here from my home. I love inter-library loan!
I love books!

Respond to this message   
Rebecca
(no login)

Not of interest

December 27 2002, 3:12 PM 

Just from the story synopsis, I was not interested in this particular book.

Respond to this message   
Shelley
(no login)

Re: An American Summer

December 27 2002, 9:37 PM 

This book has a certain poignancy, capturing the timeline of the 50's and and the character of Christy is believable to me. It's a good read for the week of Christmas..I have actually had a little more time this week to read the daily entries even though I have been working. I am making plans to borrow this book from the library so I can read the whole thing...possibly even this weekend.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

An American Summer

December 28 2002, 3:41 PM 

I really hated to see this week's book end. During the time of the "polio scare" I had a best friend that ended up just like the young woman in the story. I plan to find this book right away, can't wait to get back to it! Thank you for such great books!

Respond to this message   
Tammy
(no login)

Loved it!

January 24 2003, 11:14 AM 

I got hooked on this through the chapter a day, and then I checked it out at the library to finish it. I really enjoyed reading it, and I would recommend it.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - An American Summer
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.