May 10 2003 at 9:17 AM
Mary Daheim  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

PrePub Book Club
Hocus Croakus
by Mary Daheim
Publisher
Buy book: $16.06
A bum hip has bed-and-breakfast hostess Judith McMonigle Flynn limping off to Good Cheer Hospital -- a questionable "haven of healing" where two recent patients didn't make the cut after routine surgery. Judith's trepidation at undergoing the knife is eased only by sharing a room with cousin Renie, who's in for rotator cuff repair. Though the cousins survive their surgeries, the ex-pro quarterback next door is permanently sacked after minor knee surgery. With the scoreboard showing Grim Reaper 3, post-op patients 0, Judith decides that she and Renie are obliged to get to the bottom of Good Cheer's carnage. But in order to sew up the case, Judith and Renie must probe into the suspects' psyches. And suddenly it looks as if the cousins' own prognoses could take them out of the game...for good.

This message has been edited by chapteraday on Jan 18, 2005 4:05 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Liz Burke-Scovill
(Login mnfiddledragon)

Confused

May 12 2003, 4:10 PM 

The bit I read seemed to have *nothing* to do with the jacket description above, other than the main character's name.

---
Imagination is intelligence having fun...

Respond to this message   
Liz
(no login)

Same here

May 12 2003, 5:57 PM 

I was disappointed. The blurb about the book we were supposed to get sounds better than what we actually got. I love hospital/medical mysteries. Not too interested in a casion mystery. Oh well.

The Other Liz

Respond to this message   
Joan
(no login)

Hocus

May 12 2003, 6:56 PM 

The mystery is where did the story disappear to? All kidding aside, I liked what the book jacket had to say. I, too, enjoy medical mysteries and look forward to getting to that part. My funny bone was also tickled with the antics of "Mother" and son-in-law. I am very much looking forward to tomorrow.

Respond to this message   
Joan
(no login)

Hocus -

May 13 2003, 8:15 PM 

I'm still laughing today, expecially as I am packing my suitcase as my better half looks over my shoulder while shaking his head. Gertrude is a quite a pip!
Don't we all have someone in our lives that remind us of Gertrude? I've just got to read all of this book.

Respond to this message   
liz
(no login)

hockus croakus

May 16 2003, 11:13 AM 

this is not a book i will buy - stop the bickering and get on with the story

Respond to this message   
Liz
(no login)

Re: hockus croakus

May 16 2003, 8:00 PM 

The bickering got on my nerves in the first segment, but then I started to find it mildly amusing. Upon the arrival of Aunt Deb, I really started to enjoy the characters. I'd like to read more even though it's not the medical mystery we were promised. I suspect the title is correct though, given the magic show angle that was introduced in the final part of the 5th reading.

Liz

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.