The Interpreter (Fiction)

November 17 2003 at 3:26 AM
Suzanne Glass  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

Fiction Book Club
The Interpreter
by Suzanne Glass
Buy book: $10.61
A profound love story exploring moral integrity and emotional isolation, "The Interpreter" combines Glass's musical gift for narrative with passion and intrigue.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Becky
(no login)

The Interpreter

November 17 2003, 5:53 AM 

Thanks, Suzanne. This is my first book to read online. I would like to check out the nonfiction.

Respond to this message   
Suzanne
(no login)

The Intrepreter

November 17 2003, 11:45 AM 

The beginning of this book is very interesting. I'll have to read more, however, before making the decision to add it to my list.

Respond to this message   
Suzanne
(no login)

The Interpreter

November 19 2003, 6:28 PM 

Okay, I am definitely hooked, no doubt about it. This one goes on the list!!

Respond to this message   
Joan
(no login)

INTERPRETER -

November 17 2003, 10:57 AM 

Even though this is a work of fiction, I am intrigued to have an insight to this profession. I thought my profession of being a medical transcriptionist was hard, with various voices always rebounding in my head, but interpreting I could never picture doing. Sounds like an interesting book with the dilemma it presents.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Re: The Interpreter (Fiction)

November 17 2003, 11:31 AM 

I am not fond of romance stories, but I would like to finish the preview.

Respond to this message   

(Login bjtreynolds)

The Interpreter

November 17 2003, 12:35 PM 

This book is boring

Respond to this message   
Sadie
(no login)

Love it

November 17 2003, 12:37 PM 

Having worked as an interpreter as well as a translator, I can appreciate this book entirely! The storyline seems a good one and I am looking forward to buying this book and hopefully, enjoying the rest as much as I enjoyed the first read. Thank you.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Maybe

November 17 2003, 12:54 PM 

When I read what's in the bookjacket, I thought, "No way, this sounds too serious for me." I'm more into coming of age stories. But for some reason, I kind of like it!

Respond to this message   

(Login advantium6767)

Wow

November 17 2003, 2:32 PM 

The first installment of this book hit me like a sucker-punch to the gut. Having worked as an interpreter for 10 years, and having to quit the profession due to severe burn-out, I can totally relate to the protagonist's feelings of hearing something she doesn't want to know! I'm definitely in for the long haul on this book.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

The Interpreter

November 17 2003, 2:41 PM 

The profession of the main character is enough to interest me in this book. I'm curious to see how the story will develop. Normally not a romance reader myself but I do like things that seem out of the ordinary and this book falls into that catagory.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

want to finish it

November 17 2003, 5:14 PM 

I've always liked studying languages and thought maybe in another lifetime I'd like to be an interpreter. Guess this will have to suffice. I like the whole ethical and moral thing, too. This is right up my alley. Thanks for this pick.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Re: The Interpreter (Fiction)

November 17 2003, 3:57 PM 

I don't usually read book jackets when we get these because I like to sort of see for myself what the story is about. I read the first installment and wasn't impressed but then went ahead and read the jacket and I can see now how it could be interesting. Not big on this story but i"ll give it a few more days...

Respond to this message   
MJ
(no login)

Interesting!!

November 17 2003, 9:10 PM 

I'm looking forward to this week; hope the author keeps up the good work. The settings (medicine and foreign-language interpretation) are interesting and I can feel the interpreter's stress. I can also feel the worries about her friends that keep poking her thoughts. However -- I could get by fine without another mention about the low level of light or reference to "Liverpudlian" for the rest of the novel!

Respond to this message   
Linda
(no login)

I'm enjoying it

November 18 2003, 4:01 AM 

I love the idea of this book, and I'm also enjoying the multilingual aspect of it. I can understand enough French to do the translations for myself, and this is increasing my interest.
I'm certainly interested enough to know how the main character deals with what she has overheard, and I'll probably add this book to my wishlist when the week is over.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

'La Boheme'

November 19 2003, 2:43 AM 

Florence magically comes alive in today's chapter.Again we see the effects of the alternating 1st person's narrative( as in Malladi's" ,A Breath Of Fresh Air)used with accomplisment.I think this is going to be an intriguing story.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

The Interpreter

November 20 2003, 8:10 AM 

You would certainly think that an author that is fluent in seven languages would be particularly adept at choosing the right word. I am interested to see if this is the case. So far, I like the book and have a feeling it could be really good.

Another book along these lines (it involves a translator) is Bel Canto by Ann Patchett and I highly recommend that as well for all of you that are interested in the profession and its challenges.

Thanks for a book that seems to have some substance to it!

Respond to this message   
FiSo
(Login FiSo)

voyeur

November 21 2003, 5:58 PM 

I think the usage of sound as a tactile sense is provocative. I loved being a voyeur in the interpreter's booth and in Italy. The foundation for the upcoming romance seals the deal for me!

Respond to this message   

(Login 29093008986103)

I liked the title

December 2 2003, 7:41 PM 

Couldn't get through this one. Though it may be possible to write a story based on the experiences of a simultaneous or near simultaneous interpreter, I don't think this one has enough drama to pull the reader in to it.

I'm glad, however, that those in the profession have found at least some voice.

Best,

Fell

Respond to this message   
Shauna Singh Baldwin
(no login)

Style Issues, but I liked the book.

December 19 2003, 12:20 AM 

I enjoyed the book, but couldn't figure out why there were tense changes that began around Pg 70, for no reason at all. Suddenly in the middle of a scene, we're into present tense. I don't care if that's the way the book came to the writer, but in editing, you favor the reader. I think there was editor abdication somewhere.
And as someone who speaks more languages than English, I wanted more commentary and comparison between English and other languages. English may be the defacto standard, but it's like using MS Windows XP - it crashes a lot.
The book held my interest, and I thought the tension between past loves and present was nicely shown.
Shauna

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Is this the Shauna Singh Baldwin

September 1 2004, 10:42 AM 

I have no comments on the above mentioned book, as I haven't had the chance to read.

But I just wanted to inquire if this is Shauna Singh Baldwin the author of "What the body remembers".

if so could you please contact me, Shauna i would love to tell you how much i have enjoyed reading your book, how i lived every word and how every letter of it has been inscribed inside me.

I have alot to tell you about your wonderful book and I really hope to hear from you.

Nazz

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - The Interpreter (Fiction)
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.