Water Wars (NonFiction)

December 12 2003 at 12:05 PM
Diane Raines Ward  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

NonFiction Book Club
Water Wars
by Diane Raines Ward
Buy book: $10.65
Every day, we hear alarming news about droughts, pollution, population growth, and climate change—which threaten to make water, even more than oil, the cause of war within our lifetime. Diane Raines Ward reaches beyond the headlines to illuminate our most vexing problems and tells the stories of those working to solve them: hydrologists, politicians, engineers, and everyday people. Based on ten years of research spanning five continents, Water Wars offers fresh insight into a subject to which our fate is inextricably bound.

This message has been edited by chapteraday on Dec 15, 2003 3:13 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Chung
(no login)

It's so upbeat!

December 15 2003, 12:14 PM 

Wow, this book, so far, makes me want to go out and stock up on water.

Is it me or is the description for the text not correct?

Respond to this message   

(Login mzazi)

dry throat

December 16 2003, 2:30 PM 

I shall read this book. I admire the scope and clarity, to say nothing of the urgency, of the message. The concept that water politics is survival politics has been touched upon in magazine articles I've seen, and this is a book that should become a best seller, IMHO. Thanks for this selection.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

A Better Time Ahead!

December 16 2003, 1:22 PM 

The author has said that the water shortage is not due to there being enough water on earth, but that mankind is not willing to share. The people cannot go to where the water is because of the invisible territorial lines that divide the nations. At Ecclesiastes 8:9 it says that "man has dominated man to his injury." We can certainly see that this is so from reading Water Wars. It also shows how much we need God's Kingdom government, when Revelation 22:17 will take effect. "Let anyone thirsting come, let anyone that wishes take life's water free."

Respond to this message   

(no login)

A Better Time Ahead!

December 16 2003, 1:23 PM 

The author has said that the water shortage is not due to there being enough water on earth, but that mankind is not willing to share. The people cannot go to where the water is because of the invisible territorial lines that divide the nations. At Ecclesiastes 8:9 it says that "man has dominated man to his injury." We can certainly see that this is so from reading Water Wars. It also shows how much we need God's Kingdom government, when Revelation 22:17 will take effect. "Let anyone thirsting come, let anyone that wishes take life's water free."

Respond to this message   
Sheryl
(no login)

Recent Supreme Court decision

December 16 2003, 3:06 PM 

It's interesting (though perhaps not coincidental) that this title appears now, just after the United States Supreme Court ruled that Maryland and Virginia have to play nice and share the waters of the Potomac River. Maryland has been exerting control over Virginia, while northern Virginia's densely populated suburbs need for water grows. Hmm.

Still not sure I will read this book, but I'll probably keep up with it throughout the week.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

What can we do????

December 17 2003, 12:49 PM 

I live in an area where we have wells,lakes,ponds, streams... and are a source for NYC. Recently, a new homeowner (came from NYC) could not believe we drink water from our wells. He finally tested and tried it. He was so impressed he started to make plans to bottle it into a "designer" water product. Needless to say, when the neighbors and town got wind of his plans, they were stopped. Our previous home had to have a new well found and there were times we were without water...so, I am constantly worried about how long we can have this wonderful source and the impact my neighbors/community have. This book has frightened me, but, what are the positive steps we can take? What can I do? Are there any solutions, other than politics we can support? Thanks to all who answer my questions.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Water Conservation:

December 19 2003, 12:21 PM 

Mari, we all took a free course at the library about landscaping and water conservation. Some of the suggestions were to limit time spent in the shower, 5 to 10 minutes. I have tried to do that, except when I have to wash my hair, then it takes longer. Another suggestion was to keep a rain barrel. I have not tried this but it made good sense. The rain barrel is for watering plants in your yard. The landscaping portion tried to teach the right plant for the right place and to help you identify what type of soil is in your yard. By measuring how much rain your yard gets and how it retains the moisture, you might not need to water after a rain for a whole week or more. At the end of the class, the instructor even gave away rain water measuring cups. Try to attend a class if you have one in your area.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Water Wars (NonFiction)
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.