<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  

Fly Fishing The River of Second Chances (NF)

January 18 2004 at 10:36 AM
Jennifer Olsson  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

NonFiction Book Club
Fly Fishing The River of Second Chances
by Jennifer Olsson
Buy book: $16.73

A touching and irreverent memoir about starting over in a rural Swedish village, and how love--and fly fishing--conquered all.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
sandy
(no login)

...Second Chances...

January 19 2004, 8:57 AM 

I'm not crazy about fishing but I love second chances. I want to find out what happens now.

I don't know any lady fisher'men'. I've plunked a few bobbers in the water, but from what I hear, fly fishing is an art form.

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Re: ...Second Chances...

January 19 2004, 10:29 AM 

Love the title of this book so will give it a chance - don't know if she runs off and leaves her husband or something happens to him thus the "second chance" business.

Respond to this message   
robint1981
(no login)

Fly Fishing

January 19 2004, 5:08 PM 

The first installment has left me curious to find out how the main character ends up making a pretty radical "change of heart" as is noted on the book jacket. I am looking forward to the future installments this week.

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Second Chances

January 20 2004, 10:17 AM 

Wasn't sure about this one, but after second read, I'm in - enjoyed the young girl's overnight solo camping - and am now grieving over her mother and wondering "did they not have chemo then, why are they not doing "something?!?" Will get this one to finish also.

Respond to this message   
Irene
(no login)

Fishing

January 20 2004, 11:04 AM 

I am enjoying this read so far. I love Montana and go there every summer for two weeks of riding. I do not fish but enjoy the fruits of others labors with fly rod over the stream when those trout are prepared for lunch. Very interested in the author`s action in relation to this invitation.

Respond to this message   
Bonnie
(no login)

Second Chances

January 23 2004, 3:17 PM 

Isn't Bozeman just filled to the brim with young women escaping marriages, the EAST, Vassar educations and no-limit incomes and lifestyles? It must be wonderful!

The segment ends with her pregnancy?? But..we know she ends up abroad. Does this seem just a tiny bit self-centered? (Sorry!I know this is generally a 'rosy' review section.)

Respond to this message   
zeedee
(Login zeedee1)

Not lookin' for "rosy"

January 25 2004, 6:11 AM 

It does seem the reviewers often gush in this forum, but balance is a good thing. I am always glad to hear an honest reaction whether positive or negative. In deciding whether to read on, I want to hear from those who did NOT enjoy something about the book, because I might have the same reaction. (But I am also glad that we don't have to wade through a barrage of TOTAL negativity.)

Respond to this message   
Corenna
(no login)

Fly-fishing

January 20 2004, 8:42 AM 

I am always so jealous when a good writer is also highly talented in another area. It is my dream to live out West fly-fishing, and not only does this woman live it- it also appears that she is a good writer! I will definately look for this book and finish it.

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Fly fishing --

January 21 2004, 9:42 AM 

Am enjoying this well written memoir - now in the young girl's life - and looking forward to the ongoing "what happens next"? It's nice to live vicariously through books - in this case - fly fishing and camping in nature- something I daresay I will never do myself - but as someone earlier said - fly fishing does seem to be almost mystical in its artistry.

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Wonderful - Wonderful - Wonderful

January 22 2004, 9:58 AM 

A breath of fresh air - both literally and figuratively -
Am really enjoying what I consider this extremely well written descriptive - outwardly and inwardly - book. My library does not have it but will have to get it for myself.
And isn't it great that today she did get to go fly-fishing?

Respond to this message   
robint1981
(Login robint1981)

Can't judge a book by the cover or the title

January 22 2004, 8:05 PM 

I did not expect to enjoy this book because no one in my family likes to fish and I was not interested in a lecture about second chances. I must admit that I was wrong and I am really enjoying this book very much.

Respond to this message   
Jan
(no login)

Fascinating!

January 22 2004, 2:40 PM 

I've never fished, but this giel/woman's story held me from the get-go. Gotta finish this one.

Respond to this message   
Diana
(no login)

not a book I would normally pick up

January 22 2004, 3:47 PM 

but I think I will probably get this book because I want to know what the future holds for this little girl who lost her mother.

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Now I know --

January 23 2004, 10:26 AM 

Okay, think I know -- the marriage is beginning to become unraveled - loved the paragraph where she describes puttting everything into a trunk, filling it and then getting another. So -- thus, the river of second chances --. Maybe not planned as such - but --- my synopsis - will see if I'm right.

Really enjoying this book. I, too, think she is a -- dare I say -- great writer? If making you feel you are holding the rod learning to cast -- or making you feel her feelings --then I think she is a great writer.

Respond to this message   
Lois
(no login)

fishing

January 28 2004, 1:56 PM 

I had to respond to your remarks as I was intrigued by the same paragraph about "stuffing in the trunk". With a pond out my back door and an avid fly-fishing son, I'm sorry to say that I've never succumbed to the desire to join him. The book will suffice.

Respond to this message   
Cathy
(no login)

Fly Fishing...

January 23 2004, 9:00 AM 

I think this is gem of a book. I've enjoyed learning about the author. Her narrative is very picturesque and the account of her coming of age is touching.

I enjoyed the 5 chapters and will look for this book at my local library.

Respond to this message   
Coladay
(Login coladay)

I knew there were other Fisher "women" out there!

January 23 2004, 10:18 AM 

I was compelled to respond to this book because it shared my love for fishing and although I have never Fly Fished, I loved the way Jennifer captures the endless beauty of the hidden life of the fishing atmosphere. It made me think of the hidden life or lives within me that much like the fish need to be plucked out in order to make room for new life and new memories. Great reading with all of you!

Respond to this message   
Juanita Lane
(no login)

Fly Fishing The River of Second Chances

January 25 2004, 10:25 AM 

I thoroughly enjoyed the book, will definetly pick it to find out what happens.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.