Monkey Dancing (NonFiction)

February 8 2004 at 12:22 PM
Daniel Glick  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

NonFiction Book Club
Monkey Dancing
by Daniel Glick
Buy book: $17.43

In this frank and funny memoir, a suddenly single father--and nationally known environmental reporter--takes his children on a world tour of some of the world's rare and endangered life forms while reckoning with loss, change, and the challenges of parenting. Photos.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(no login)

Re: Monkey Dancing (NonFiction)

February 9 2004, 11:50 AM 

While the idea of the book is compelling and I regard myself as being concerned about environmental issues, the first chapter of book and a recent interview by Glick over PRI, convinces me that I cannot identify with him.

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

WOW ---

February 9 2004, 3:28 PM 

Have only read the book jacket and had to write and say with this kind of intro - just know this will be a good book --

So now back to the first read --

Respond to this message   
cynthia b
(no login)

good book

February 9 2004, 7:15 PM 

the beginning was a little hard to get through but it did get interesting...... it had a plot that i have never seen before

Respond to this message   
GDR
(no login)

Opinion

February 9 2004, 8:07 PM 

This first installment has made me look forward to tomorrow's. Writes very descriptively. Could see this as a movie after just reading the few paragraphs provided.

Respond to this message   
eLIZabeth
(no login)

LOVE it

February 10 2004, 5:52 AM 

I am completely hooked. I'm getting the book ASAP. Not only the subject matter, a newly single dad traveling the wilds of the world with 2 kids, but the author's voice is wonderful. I hope more people are reading this...what a gem! THANK you for this pick....I probably never would have read it if not for here.

Respond to this message   
Monkey
(no login)

This one is a keeper...

February 10 2004, 8:24 AM 

I am really enjoying Glick's rapid fire journalistic style and his way of inserting just enough comedy into the descriptions. The first "chapter" left me concerned...what kind of self-indulgent jerk takes little kids to the jungle to get over their collective problems? But as the writing goes on..the author's whole character is becoming more apparent and the adventurous decision...less far-fetched. I am hopelessly stuck anticipating what happens next!

Respond to this message   
Laura
(no login)

teary-eyed mom

February 10 2004, 11:30 AM 

To be honest, I skimmed yesterday's reading with the dramatic tales on the river. I couldn't help feeling jealous that the Glick family could get away on such an amazing trip.

Today's reading made me cry. Divorce is so sad every single time. It's amazing how Glick covers all the heavy emotional stuff in such a short passage. Now that I know him better & the kids better, I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's reading!

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Monkey Dancing

February 10 2004, 11:36 AM 

And just like that she takes off to the west coast leaving her two kids with their dad - no matter the sexual orientation - that is not the point - the point is "THE CHILDREN".

Don't know the rest of the story yet - how long she is away from the children before she sees them again - but the word that comes to mind is SELFISH - SELFISH - SELFISH!!!

As you can tell, I feel very strongly about this issue and fully intend to read the entire book. But had to vent my emotions this morn.

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Monkey Dancing

February 10 2004, 1:01 PM 

Well, after having vented about the mother -- time to address the book -- LOVE the book and the idea of the book - his reasoning concerning the trip.

Also, think I've fallen in love with the author. Have been to his website, of course, to find out more about him and his other writings. Will definitely get this book and read it in its entirity - also another book by him written earlier I may check into.

Seems he is doing very well establishing his "new" family.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Doris??? This is for you!

February 10 2004, 7:30 PM 

Doris, I am LOL b/c I too have fallen in love with the author! I'll have to check out his website. Are you the same Doris that was posting so much a wk ago or so over on fiction about "Keeping Faith"??? If so, email me if you'd like....I got that book from the library and am trying to hang with it.....would love to "chat" with you about it! (But I'm BUYING Monkey Dancing.... a keeper!)

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Re: Doris??? This is for you!

February 11 2004, 12:42 PM 

Hi, eLizabeth, I got confused and posted my response to you in the Madame X forum.
Please check my response there. - Doris -

Respond to this message   
Michelle D.
(no login)

Really liking it

February 10 2004, 6:52 PM 

I'm really liking this book so far. I like the writing style. It's interesting to see divorce from the single dad's perspective. I can't wait to read more of the book. This is one that I will have to read entirely.

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Still loving this book --

February 11 2004, 12:29 PM 

Today's read was especially good, I thought. Will definitely BUY this book and as they travel "around the world" think I will try to follow their route -- will maybe help with my geography and lead to even more reseach about various and sundry things.

I, too, am especially enjoying his writing style - so real and pulls you into his thought processes.

Speaking of traveling with them - I do think I will be more comfortable doing my "armchair traveling" tho'. In the first read, at the first sight of the humongous snakes in the river, think I would have been ready to "head for home".

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Monkey Dancing --

February 12 2004, 10:37 AM 

So glad to read the kids' responses and reactions in this book also -- real honest feelings.
And the mother is being just as selfish as I at first thought her to be -- (meow)

Respond to this message   
eLIZabeth
(no login)

Doris....

February 13 2004, 6:11 AM 

left a message for you over on Keeping Faith..... :)

Respond to this message   

(no login)

"Modern times"

February 12 2004, 10:50 AM 

While reading these chapters a few things come to mind, and that is; what a small place our world has become (2) the fact that it belongs to all of us ( but mostly to the generations that will come after us) . Yes, this father's "free trip around the world" is for family therapy , but some where along the way-as indicated in the book jacket description ,it becomes about more than these three individuals and more about the utimate survival of our planet.This is what makes me want to read more of the book. None of us can be every place at one time, so any insight into the things that we can do to perpetuate life here on this earth is a worthwhile read.

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Re: &quote;Modern times&quote;

February 13 2004, 12:26 PM 

C.E. - I particularly enjoy your intelligent and thought provoking responses in this forum.
Thanks very much for inserting your insight.
- Doris -

Respond to this message   
Michelle D.
(no login)

I'm enjoying this

February 12 2004, 4:48 PM 

I'm enjoying this book more and more. Books like this always make me feel like hopping into my car and riding off into the sunset! Can't wait to read the rest. I love reading the son's response to the trip. It is so important in this story to know all three of them.

Respond to this message   
nancy
(no login)

momkey dancing

February 13 2004, 10:23 AM 

Wow! Where am I? My respose to the boy's writing in today's installment was viscerally negative. Perhaps I am very old in my opinion, but is it now acceptable for young people to sprinkle their talk with words which burn some ears? I know they do; I hear them when I walk down the street, but is it not objectionable to younger parents? This the kind of sidetrack I dont like in a book. I might have skipped over it in a blink were the whole book in front of me, but with just a few words to digest, it sticks in my craw.

Respond to this message   
eLIZabeth
(no login)

Nancy....

February 14 2004, 6:40 AM 

have you read the reviews for this on AMazon? It's interesting b/c some others have reacted negatively to the way he parents his teenage son and I guess you could include that with printing his son's journal in the book, "bad" language and all. for some reason I am not at all offended by the words but i could see how some would be and i respect that totally. i like it because it's real and even if i don't like the actual language i like the honesty. does that make sense? probably not!!! i like knowing what a child or teenager is actually thinking and I am getting a feel for what this dad was going through. i'm the kind of mom who talks to her kids about anything and everything and try to take the intrigue and mystery out of bad words and just emphasize that they're totally unnecessary and will usually NOT open doors for one in the world but that good manners will.(we live in the south where the children still say yes, ma'am and yes sir etc) i also am an RN so talking about drugs, alcohol, sex, body parts, whatEVER is no big deal for me and i admit this is NOT how I was brought up, lol....no one told us ANYthing so we found out the hard way and i did NOT want that to happen to my children in this day and age.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

momkey dancing

February 14 2004, 9:44 AM 

eLIzabeth....This book is generating lots of responses so apparently it is better than many I have read which cause little reaction. Me,too....nurse, south, etc. and, of course same dilemma and similar approach when raising my teenager years ago. But honesty really isnt always the best policy...does the author not mind showing his son in this light? The view is of both. Incidentally, my daughter uses far fewer "bad" words than I do. Guess I will have to reconsider marking this off my to read list since the reading caused a pot to boil.

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Monkey Dancing --

February 13 2004, 10:33 AM 

Well - we're off and running -- hilarious read for me concerning the magazine article's definition of what and what not to do and wear - and here they are breaking all the rules -- Hooray for them --
Will definitely be getting this book and seems it's about time also to start charting their travels from my stay at home "armchair" --

Respond to this message   
Subha
(no login)

Reactions

February 12 2004, 11:09 PM 

Promising Book From what I have read so far- I still haven't received the 4th 'chapter' - Actually waiting for it - I like the author's style and I think I'll buy the book to read it completely.

Respond to this message   
Vera Rieck
(no login)

Interesting

February 13 2004, 10:51 AM 

How a single father copes with the full-time responsibility of parenthood is thought-provoking. However, the superfluous use of adverbs and adjectives (especially in the first three chapters) was a bit overwheming and distracting.

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

FYI

February 13 2004, 3:07 PM 

The other book I was referring to by this same author is "Powder Burn" a non-fiction book based on an arson fire at Vail - still unsolved - which book came about because of an article written in Newsweek I believe by the author.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Monkey Dancing (NonFiction)
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.