An Innocent, A Broad (PrePublication)

March 12 2004 at 8:35 PM
Ann Leary  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

Pre Publication Club
An Innocent, A Broad
by Ann Leary
Buy book: $16.06

The wife of actor/comedian Denis Leary offers a hilarious and moving account of the unexpected premature birth of their son during what was supposed to be a weekend trip to London.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
LILIAN
(no login)

I used to have the same dream!

March 15 2004, 4:43 PM 

I am a sucker for a birth story, but when she mentioned the dream about being in the car alone and it starting to drive itself, I knew I would have to finish this. I used to have a similar dream when I was young (before I learned to drive).

I usually don't read the excerpts until a week later, but I snuck a peek today and I think this is a keeper. Too bad I will have to wait so long to get to read the whole thing.

Lilian

Respond to this message   
Dreamer
(no login)

Just wondering

August 23 2004, 8:23 PM 

Did she steal this book idea from Bill hick's wife?

Respond to this message   

(no login)

An Innocence Abroad

March 18 2004, 7:25 AM 

I have read quite a number of prepublication books via this service, but none as riveting as this one. Ann Leary really captures my attention with each passing page and she knows how to frame a character. I missed Monday's installment so I didn't fully appreciate who the writer was and who the comedian was in her story. Now it seems to me all the more real. I can't wait until it is published.

Respond to this message   

(Login katehopeeden)

Very Good

March 19 2004, 11:24 AM 

I read all five installments today... I have been so swamped this week, I considered deleting everything and starting fresh next week. Now I am glad I didn't because it was worth the read.
I am considering getting this when it is released :)
Have a great weekend!
~Heather

Respond to this message   

(Login javajivngran)

Sad to see this, the last day of this reading

March 19 2004, 5:31 PM 

Boy, I got royally hooked on this book! I read this aloud to my husband as I was reading it for the first time myself, and he was just in hysterics, laughing! What a great author, great material - and yes! I DO WANT to read the rest of THIS book!

Respond to this message   
Gillian
(no login)

Even better in person!

April 19 2004, 12:29 PM 

I loved the excerpts from this book, and I've been eagerly awaiting its release. Last week, on a whim, I wandered into my local book seller to see if the book was out yet. Imagine my surprise when it turned out I was just in time for a book reading/signing with Ann Leary herself!

It was so wonderful to hear the stories in Ann's own voice! I even got to meet Jack, who seemed completely unfazed by the fact his mother is sharing intimate details about his birth (and her body) with the world. Many 14-year-olds I know would be mortified...but I guess if you grow up with Denis Leary as your father, there isn't too much that's out-of-bounds.

Anyway, I very much recommend this book. If Ann is touring near you, make an effort to go see her, too.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

wonderful book--mom of recent 30 weeker born 3000 miles from home!

June 28 2004, 2:01 PM 

I think Ann Leary stole my journal! I can't believe how similar our experiences were. I arrived home (outside of Worcester, MA) 4 weeks ago after delivering a 30 week baby boy in Seattle, WA.

I too lived in the hospital for 2 months while my husband flew back and forth-he also missed the delivery by about 6 hours. I was sure the nurses hated me because I had no were to go all day except sit in the NICU--and I was always scanning their notes for comments about me. I also had nothing to wear except maternity clothes and was luckily rescued by my sister who kept me dressed in Gap clothes. We also could not fly home right away.

The similarities are eerie. I hang on every word that Ann has written. Everything she describes feeling--I have felt! I only wish I had gotten the book 2 months ago!

Thank you Ann for writing this(my) story. I am going to tell all my friends and relatives to read it and substitute names where needed. They will then know my story.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

But you weren't in a foreign country!

July 25 2005, 12:16 AM 

It is ironic that your experiences were so similar to Ann's, but the big difference is that you weren't in a foreign country! Being away from home is bad enough, but when you are a foreigner and aren't familiar with the culture and idiosyncrisies it is obviously even more challenging. I read this book in 1 sitting, which is rare for me. I didn't realize Denis Leary wrote No Cure for Cancer as a result of his son's premature birth! It was definitely an enlightening book.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - An Innocent, A Broad (PrePublication)
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.