May 29 2004 at 1:38 PM
Jennie Shortridge  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

VVf_0451210271_l

Fiction Book Club
Riding With the Queen
by Jennie Shortridge
Buy book: $11.66

From an exciting new voice comes a tale of a down-and-out rock-and-roll singer forced to return to the home she fled half a lifetime ago. But taking the long way home has left 34-year-old Tallie Beck looking to retrace some wrong turns--and figure out where she really wants to go.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Suzanne
(no login)

Riding with the Queen

May 31 2004, 10:45 AM 

Good first read!! Makes me wonder what happens to our heroine when she gets to Denver. I'll have to be patient for tomorrow.

Respond to this message   
Laura Robertson
(no login)

Riding with the Queen

May 31 2004, 1:41 PM 

Me too! Sounds like a good story.

Respond to this message   
Kathy
(Login KathyJJ151)

I like this one so far

May 31 2004, 3:09 PM 

I agree with you Suzanne. This one has sparked my interest. I'm looking forward to Tuesday's read.

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Sounds like a good one -

June 1 2004, 3:36 AM 

Have them holding it for me at library already.

Respond to this message   
Ann
(no login)

So far, so good

May 31 2004, 7:54 PM 

Once again, I wasn't particularly interested in this book based on the jacket blurb. But.......today's installment has me more than a little inttrigued. Looking forward to the week.

Respond to this message   
Kimmi
(no login)

Another good read

June 1 2004, 9:43 AM 

This book has grabbed my attention. I'm going to the library this afternoon and see if I can find it. Can't wait to see what happens when Tallie gets to Denver.

Respond to this message   
Staci
(Login Hobbyt66)

Not so sure...

June 1 2004, 12:08 PM 

It seems interesting, but there was a major inconsistency in the first installment. She said she ran of cigarettes...yet when she went into the restaurant she had a pack...did I miss a key statement where she found some?

Respond to this message   
Ann
(no login)

It's there

June 1 2004, 8:22 PM 

Towards the end of the next to last paragraph in the first installment: "after a quick stop at the cigarette machine...."

I'll have to read a couple more days before I make a total commitment to this one. Seems kind of fun, but I don't know that I want to give it priority over some of the ever-accumulating stack of to-be-reads.

Respond to this message   
danielle
(no login)

i agree

June 2 2004, 11:02 AM 

When I read about the cigarettes, that is exactly what I was thinking. Where did she get the cigarettes. I also do not know what to think about this invisible friend. The author is quirky though so I am looking forward to see what else she has up her sleeve.

Respond to this message   
Tolly
(no login)

Interesting!

June 2 2004, 12:02 PM 

I can't imagine not talking to my sister for 17 years and then going to stay with her. I laughed outloud when she got her boobs wet in something! And I like the invisible friend and looking forward to more of her sightings. Even though my life is very different than hers I can totally get inside this book.

Respond to this message   
Marsha
(no login)

another one...

June 2 2004, 5:20 PM 

Another book about someone trying to pick up the the lost pieces of her life. I don't know - sounds like a lot of other stories. Maybe its a formula authors use: Home life is lousy; kid runs away; kid finds the world too hard; kid comes home for reconciliation. Am I being too hard on this?

Respond to this message   
Michelle
(no login)

Re: another one...

June 4 2004, 11:05 AM 

I agree with Marsha. It seems like so many of the books nowadays follow that same theme... going back home and making amends with the family/the self. So far it seems pretty interesting, but I'm not sure it's something I'll want to continue reading. I'm not sure I like the main character well enough to want to know her story. Although, the hair thing was pretty scary, so I may need to find out about that!!

Respond to this message   
Loofa
(no login)

Not too sure of this one.

June 2 2004, 2:07 PM 

I don't usually enjoy stories about showbiz people, fiction or non-fiction. This one seems to be somewhat on the seamy side and that makes if less palatable to me, I think. It is depressing. The language doesn't offend me because I have been around long enough to have heard or read it all.

I will reserve judgment for a few more days.

Respond to this message   
Rosalyn
(no login)

I'm Here Too

June 2 2004, 5:01 PM 

Just another reader saying I've joined the group. I wonder if I'm the only member of my library reading this, because it was there for me on the shelf. Now I have it in hand, but think I'll keep reading these bits daily, just to be part of things. Suzanne, I'm so open to suggestions and I wonder what the two movies were that you enjoyed.

Respond to this message   
Suzanne W
(no login)

on my long list near the end

June 3 2004, 10:51 AM 

Hi, I, too, wonder what we have to do to get Suzanne to tell us the names of those 2 movies? Should we email her directly? Will she give it up, do you think. This story is OK...better than I thought it would be from the jacket, also, but I really liked last week's read alot..just didn't have time to read them all right away and post for Curve of the World. Would really like to finish tht one. When did Doris come back? Someone else wanted to know where she was, too, a few books back..I guess it was a title we didn't know what to think about it!

Respond to this message   
Suzanne Beecher
(Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

Two movies

June 3 2004, 8:14 PM 

Lots of readers did email asking about the movies. They were "As Good As It Gets" and Ellen DeGeneres' cd "Here and Now". They were great weekend getaways for me.

Thanks for reading with me. It's so good to read with friends.

Suzanne Beecher

Respond to this message   
Bob
(no login)

Two Movies

June 3 2004, 11:31 PM 

Suzanne, I hope you are not watching those movies while driving. We have too many distractions with cell phones and eating and drinking while driving.
As for the story I love it.

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Yes - I'm back -

June 4 2004, 1:03 PM 

Took a little breather cause I did not find books that interested me - or maybe was just me -

Don't quite understand your statement concerning my return - was it a positive or negative response - just wondering - but of course, you know me, if a book poses a question for me,etc. I'll be right in there with lots of questions and responses - Doris -

Speaking of questions - in the good news category - which I joined this week because of the "differentness" of it in the description - I do have questions and puzzlements - so am looking into the author, etc.

As you will see in my responses in that section - I am sort of in a quandry over that one - so if you have any enlightmentment for me PLEASE respond in that forum - thanks - doris -

Respond to this message   
Priscilla
(no login)

Ordered right away

June 4 2004, 4:50 PM 

After reading the second installment I ordered the book. I love the idea of an imaginary friend.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.