July 9 2004 at 8:45 PM
Michael D'Orso  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

VVo_0060955767_l

NonFiction Book Club
Plundering Paradise
by Michael D'Orso
Buy book: $10.61

Mention the Galá pagos Islands to almost anyone, and the first things that spring to mind are iguanas, tortoises, volcanic beaches, and, of course, Charles Darwin. But there are people living there, too -- nearly 20,000 of them. A wild stew of nomads and grifters, dreamers and hermits, wealthy tour operators and desperately poor South American refugees, these inhabitants have brought crime, crowding, poaching, and pollution to the once-idyllic islands.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Lorinda
(no login)

Paradise

July 14 2004, 11:25 AM 

I see no messages after 3 days! I guess it is because of the summer. I have skimmed the chapters enough to see that they took a beautiful place and began ruining it. (So what's new?)
I have purchased an older book by this author-on Rosewood-we stopped by the town on the way to Cedar Key. (This is all in Florida, where I live.) It is going to be an awful story-again showing man's inhumanity to man.

Respond to this message   
Linda
(no login)

recognition

July 14 2004, 6:38 PM 

Today's chapter puts me in mind of how I've felt about California for quite some time: "Oh, the good old days, when there was space and time and traffic was not constantly congested, when folks left their doors unlocked and did not live in fear." To read about the dwindling buying power of the sucre, about the Average Jose's urge to flee the mainland for the tourist bonanza, the promise of income, in the Galapagos, is eye-opening. I'm learning from this one.

Respond to this message   
Lurinda - also of Florida
(no login)

Jack's Catch-22

July 15 2004, 10:05 AM 

I feel for Jack's conflict of being part of the problem as well as the solution. I think that he is as much a part of the Galapagos as the island is of him. And, although I have not read the whole book, I believe (hope) Jack wil find a win-win solution here and be at peace with it.

It's not just paradise that is lost, the exploitation of mother earth is occurring all over the world because of a combination of population growth and greed.

Respond to this message   
Corenna
(no login)

Re: Plundering Paradise (NonFiction)

July 15 2004, 9:08 AM 

Ditto for the small mountain town I grew up in out in Colorado...change can be good, but it is so hard to live a happy simple life when strip malls and fast food joints, crime and apathy take over a place where everyone used to just look out for each other. Not to claim that "back in the day" everything was perfect- but this book does strike a nerve (especially with the environmental battles and rise of tourism!)

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

Paradise

July 16 2004, 7:57 AM 

I have lived in my town for 13 years. When we moved here (we didn't know at the time), we were the third fasting growing county in the USA and the first in the county. (Florida)

In the last 2 years, we have built 5 new houses on my STREET-one going on next door at 7:30AM-we are also about to widen our blvd. for the SECOND time in 13 years. (This is also near our house.) They also are building a new school and knocked down too many trees by "accident."

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.