July 9 2004 at 8:52 PM
Daniel Hecht  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

VVm_1582343934_l

Mystery Book Club
Land of Echoes
by Daniel Hecht
Buy book: $16.73

In the end it is people, not places, that are haunted. Tommy Keeday is a talented student at a boarding school for gifted Navajo teens, located in the vast high desert of western New Mexico. When he is seized by an illness with bizarre symptoms, his family believes he is possessed by a chindi, the hostile spirit of a dead ancestor.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jan Overstreet
(no login)

Images of scenes past

July 12 2004, 1:49 PM 

Hard, really to tell much about a new book after having read only the first few pages, but my first instinct was to think "shades of Tony Hillerman".

Undoubtedly, as new chapters are revealed, this thought will fade and possibly disappear. It will be interesting to see the progress of both plot and character development.

I'm quite looking forward to it.

Respond to this message   
Sara
(no login)

I agree

July 13 2004, 10:38 AM 

Yes, I agree about the Tony Hillerman resemblance. Especially the Navajo culture and mind set. But I like that aspect and so far I like this book too.

Respond to this message   
Shanti
(no login)

Interesting

July 13 2004, 9:18 AM 

So far, I'm finding it very interesting. I like the premise and the character development, even though it's not very far into the book, is compelling.

Looking forward to the other chapters. I've already added this book to my never ending "wish list".

Respond to this message   
phxken
(no login)

Must Read

July 13 2004, 6:23 PM 

After only two 5 minute reads, being a resident of Arizona and retired employee of the Bureau of
Indian Affairs, I have ordered this book from my local library.
My library quotes national reviews, one of which states that the first book in the series is not a necessary read to enjoy Echos. Seems the first book was set in New Orleans.
Only problem was that I could not find a Large Print edition in the library although the author did have one Large Print book available but not in this series.

Respond to this message   
phxken
(no login)

Must Read

July 23 2004, 7:33 PM 

2nd post.
After reading 100 pages, I have
put it aside so that I can get
some restful sleep. The action is so vivid that it is disturbing.
That's my problem. For most, I'm
sure that the book is spellbinding.

Respond to this message   
Rachel
(no login)

Another winner

July 14 2004, 9:28 AM 

Again, this is a book I NEVER would have picked up on my own. But I definately want to finish it and am adding it to my list. I love how this book club expands my reading horizans.

Respond to this message   
Meena
(no login)

Enchanting

July 14 2004, 8:04 PM 

Interesting and mysterious are the two words that sum up my reading experience thus far. This work would be of interest to young readers b/c of the phenomenon as well as a way to introduce Navajo (Native American) culture.

Respond to this message   
Angie
(Login ahurlbut)

Love It!

July 15 2004, 8:13 AM 

From the first installment, I knew I'd really enjoy this book. I'm a big Tony Hillerman fan, have always been fascinated with Native American culture, and love a good mystery. Being a former X-File junky, this is also right down my alley.

I've added this book to my very long wishlist of books to read. I'll definitely be trying to find this one at my library!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"What wild desires, what restless torments seize
The hapless man, who feels the book-disease..."
- Dr. John Ferriar (from the poem Bibliomania, 1863)

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.