August 21 2004 at 1:51 PM
Karen English  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

VVt_0374424594_l

Teen Book Club
Francie
by Karen English
Buy book: $5.36

In rural Alabama during the Truman administration, 12-year-old Francie lives with her mother and younger brother while her father tries to get settled in Chicago. While working odd jobs for wealthy white folks on the other side of town, Francie helps a framed young black man to escape arrest, which puts the entire black community in danger. An ALA Notable Book and "School Library Journal" Best Book of the Year.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login ready4j)

Francie

August 23 2004, 4:23 PM 

I read the jacket of this book and I did not like the sound of this book but like the old saying You cant judge a book by its cover. ill givie it a try any way

Respond to this message   

(no login)

blah

August 23 2004, 9:36 PM 

yeah..this book isnt very interesting so far, who knows tho..maybe it will get bettter? heres hoping..

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

read on

August 30 2004, 10:37 AM 

you have to read the book more to really get into it. Because I have already read the whole book.

Respond to this message   
kayla
(no login)

what

August 23 2004, 10:22 PM 

how could you not like the sound of this book it sounds as if it could be interesting i am definatly going to get this book checked out from the library tomarrow

Respond to this message   
kayla
(no login)

i have to say more

August 24 2004, 12:29 PM 

dont you hate it when your perents get mad at you and they think that hitting you will solve the problem... i hate it... it does work sometimes i have to admit but other times i want to do it again and see what they will do next because what they did before didnt work the first time.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

What I thought about Francie (Teen)

August 24 2004, 9:51 AM 

I thought that it was a very good story. But that was very, very, very mean of the mother to leave her daughter there and she go home. That was not nice. Why would a mom be that mad at something that stupid for sso, so ,so long?

Respond to this message   
Rachel
(no login)

Blah

August 24 2004, 7:52 PM 

This book seems really boring so far. It's awful that her mom beat her! They should just talk their problems out;not express them physically. Beating her just caused more problems.

Respond to this message   

(Login lull89)

Eh.

August 24 2004, 12:33 PM 

This book isn't really going that great for me at this point. I think it is a little weird, although I have never really been a big fan of historical fiction. Anyway, maybe it will get better, we'll see.

Andy, 14
Monroe County Library System
Brighton, Rochester, New York

P.S. To email me put "Teen Book Club" in the subject or else it will get deleted before I read it.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Francie..so far

August 24 2004, 4:31 PM 

This week's book really grabbed me! I couldn't follow last week's book, but now I really wonder what Francie will face next. I had to applaud her shutting the vicious cat in the closet. This is a girl character that reminded me of The Color Purple. I know I will have to finish this book, by hook or by crook.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

More to say

August 25 2004, 9:38 AM 

I can really, really relate to this Francie girl. I mean she gets annoyed by all the work she does and I do to. I feel like the only one in my family that does work around the house. I also love to play the piano so I think I just might check out this book at the library.

Respond to this message   

(Login ready4j)

same opinion

August 25 2004, 11:25 AM 

I agree with Andy I dont relly like historical fictionbut I liked the past 3 books.

Alex
P.S. Andy look from ane mail from me

Respond to this message   

(no login)

i dont know

August 25 2004, 11:26 AM 

i dont know about clarissa what do you all think about her? i dont think i like miss. mabel either tell me what you think please

Respond to this message   

(no login)

ur right

August 26 2004, 3:37 PM 

i hate a sub. We had a sub in science one time she started talking about drugs and stuff. it was weird after that she was fired. Subs. never know what they are doing

Respond to this message   

(no login)

More to say

August 26 2004, 9:43 AM 

I agree, I don't really like most substitute teachers. Most are mean and don't know what to do and makes you want to fall asleep which I normally don't want to do.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

More and More to say

August 27 2004, 8:45 AM 

I don't get why Augustine Butler would want to best her up. I mean Francie didn't do anything at all.

Respond to this message   

(Login lull89)

Bully

August 27 2004, 10:13 AM 

I think the bully wants to beat her up because Francie wouldn't help her by giving her the answers to number 4. I doubt she actually is hiding in a bush, and she will get in trouble for not going home with Prez. Anyway, I probably will not be getting this book out of the library, although I may reconsider occasinally, this book really isn't doing much for me at the moment.

Write in next weeks forum-

Andy, 14
Monroe County Library System
Brighton, Rochester, New York

P.S. To email me put "Teen Book Club" in the subject or else it will get deleted before I read it.

Respond to this message   

(Login ready4j)

Francie

August 27 2004, 12:08 PM 

I didnt really like this book but I'm going to be a dear reader columnist and I got the read for another book that comes out the week of 9\13\04 and I read all five in one night. It is very interesting and I'm looking forward to it.
Email me if you have a questions about it.
Love Alex

Respond to this message   
john
(no login)

Amy

August 30 2004, 7:34 PM 

i don't know if iam going to read this book. i have not read a book in this club since Amy and that book was really good i hore that everone read that one.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Francie (Teen)
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.