October 10 2004 at 7:40 PM
Gillian Bradshaw  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

VVs_0441010970_l

Science Fiction Book Club
The Wrong Reflection
by Gillian Bradshaw
Buy book: $5.85

Paul Anderson has no memory of working for Stellar Research, except flashes from a secret--and terrifying--project that threatens to tear his sanity apart. "Offbeat [and] entertaining"--"Kirkus Reviews."

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
David Faucheux
(no login)

Scifi from a historical fic diva

October 11 2004, 6:27 AM 

Wow! Had not known Bradshaw did scifi. I loved her Beacon at Alexandria and Imperial Purple. She makes the Byzantine world come to life. Her The Sand-Reckoner about Archemedes was tops, too. I wish she'd do another Byzantine novel. Best

Respond to this message   
Viv Coulter
(no login)

A very interesting book

October 11 2004, 9:37 AM 

I also had not known that Bradshaw wrote anything but historical fiction and I have read most of what she had written. When I came upon this one several months ago I was intrigued to see what she did with it and I must say, she doesn't write much like other sci-fi writers and that isn't necessarily a bad thing (and I'm saying this as someone who has read sci-fi for well over 40 years). The book is not much for action or a complex plot or some hard-edged vision of the future, and it can be a little too sentimental in places, but it feels like seeing the stars on a clear night in the mountains, simple and profund at the same time. I hope you enjoy it.

Respond to this message   
Dave Anderson
(no login)

Anachronistic to me

October 13 2004, 7:20 PM 

With three days worth of sample text so far read I think that this book is a little out of touch with the times.

Calling CPR "heart massage" makes me feel like a 12 year old watching an episode of M*A*S*H. The doctor's language, and in general the language used by all the characters seems stodgy and old fashioned. Perhaps this book is set in the 1950's...

And the nurse/doctor relationship doesn't ring true to me. The doctor seems way too impatient and the nurse is over competent, as if the author has a not so subtle message to convey about the state of modern medicine.

I won't be reading the last two days of this preview.

Respond to this message   
emily
(no login)

I agree

October 23 2004, 11:37 AM 

It does seem too stuck in the past to keep my interest.

Respond to this message   
Kate
(no login)

Wow!

October 13 2004, 9:38 PM 

I've never read one of this author's work before and all i can say is wow. Perhaps that isn't a full description, but it accurately discribes how i feel. I've only read the first chapter and i'm already absorbed in the story. Can't wait to read more!

Respond to this message   
Angie
(Login ahurlbut)

Totally Absorbed

October 15 2004, 12:54 PM 

I'm wanting to know where this is going SO badly I can barely stand it. What a wonderful read!

I'm currently on the waitlist for this at the library. I'll be glad when I get my hands on it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"What wild desires, what restless torments seize
The hapless man, who feels the book-disease..."
- Dr. John Ferriar (from the poem Bibliomania, 1863)

Respond to this message   
Celia Davies
(no login)

a very good book

January 28 2005, 12:55 PM 

It really did not matter to me whether it sounded it was placed in the 50s or too simple in terms of medical terms.So what, if the author wanted to make the nurse sound more interested in the patient...? The story is full of emotion and captivating good English. The twist in the end... wow... great idea for a plot. It could be turned into a movie.I really enjoyed reading it.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.