<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  

Sullivan's Island (Fiction)

January 14 2005 at 11:49 AM
Dorothea Benton Frank  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

f0515127221_l

Fiction Book Club
Sullivanís Island
by Dorothea Benton Frank
Buy book: $6.80

Debuting to rave reviews from Frank's fellow authors, "Sullivan's Island" is set in the steamy landscape of South Carolina. Spunky Susan Hayes navigates a troubled childhood, marriage, and motherhood. Finally, she confronts her past by returning to the beachfront house that harbors long-held secrets and devastating betrayals.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
eLIZabeth
(no login)

YEA for this one!

January 14 2005, 4:05 PM 

I cannot believe this! I am reading this book right now, actually listening to it on tape, and was thinking what a great pick it would be for here. And here it is for next week! She's written several books so far all set on the coast of SC and the protagonist in this one is hilarious and wonderful. I have been laughing out loud and almost crying in parts. I hope all enjoy this and read the whole book. I'm planning on going to the library to get her other books ASAP. :)
Thanks, from a South Carolinian!
PS Suzanne, I WAS wondering how do you pick your selections for us???? Do you ever take recommendations from plain old everyday readers like me? I was going to recommend this one :) Thanks!

Respond to this message   

(Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

Re: YEA for this one!

January 15 2005, 9:33 AM 

Hi Elizabeth,

I sure do love to hear suggestions from readers. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

I'm so glad that you are enjoying the books and the book club.

Take care and thank you for reading with me. It is so nice to read with friends!!

Suzanne

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Sullivan's Island

January 17 2005, 12:00 PM 

I liked this book with it's Southern background. Her next one, Shem Creek, was also very good.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Sullivan's Island

January 21 2005, 12:02 PM 

Hello Suzanne,

I'm new to this group. I must say I like this method of introducing readers to books.

I like what I've read so far - Sullivan's Island, and I do intend to finish the book.

Thanks for providing this service to readers.

Marilyn

This message has been edited by chapteraday on Jan 21, 2005 12:20 PM

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Another "Surprise Bedroom Beginning" --

January 17 2005, 11:50 AM 

Reminds me of the book "Keeping Faith" - does anyone remember that one? - same bedroom scene - sure grabs you, doesn't it?

I already have this book reserved at the library - I, too, was raised in the south and went to the ocean on vacations but haven't been there for some time - and now I feel a longing for the taste and sound and smell - also the long walks on the beach with the sand beneath my feet - this book promises to give me a taste of the past -

Respond to this message   
buddy
(no login)

DORIS and the SEA

January 18 2005, 3:36 PM 

Doris,

Do you remember the wonderful "The Shell Seekers" and Penelope's longing to return to Cornwall and the sea?

Respond to this message   
Jo Anne
(no login)

Another "Surprise Bedroom Beginning" --

January 19 2005, 6:44 AM 

Doris,

When I first started reading this selection, I thought that I had read this before. You're right! It sounds exactly like the same scene in Keeping Faith. Thanks for jogging my memory!

Respond to this message   

(Login sandramarie1963)

I can identify!

January 17 2005, 12:47 PM 

This woman's hectic life and issues with marriage is so me!!! I will definetely continue to read..

Respond to this message   
Anna
(no login)

*Shock!*

January 17 2005, 1:45 PM 

Suzanne, I haven't been this eager to get the next day's reading in a LONG time! Boy, did my jaw hit the floor.
I thought for sure it was her daughter.
Can't wait!
Anna

Respond to this message   
Leslie
(no login)

Sullivan's Island

January 17 2005, 2:32 PM 

I have just read the first chapter, and am already looking forward to tomorrow's chapter.

Leslie

Respond to this message   
Jackie
(no login)

wow!

January 17 2005, 3:05 PM 

The first installment was terrific. I can't
wait to read the rest.

Respond to this message   
lg
(no login)

Keeping my interest...

January 17 2005, 4:23 PM 

This seems like a good book to curl up with...I give it a thumbs up based on one days reading. Yep, and a story I think alot of women today can relate to!

Respond to this message   
Jennifer
(no login)

Its Great

January 18 2005, 9:35 AM 

I read this book over the summer. My mother-in-law introducted me to her books because she vacations there with her friends. This was a favorite of mine. I hope that you all find something in the main character that will bring strength to yourselves. Anyway, have fun reading and get the rest of the book when you are finished with the daily reads for the week.

Respond to this message   
Ally
(no login)

Great Read!

January 19 2005, 12:13 PM 

I was hooked from the very first read on Monday. I got so involved in the second read that I was distraught when I came to the end of the email! I am very definitely getting this book from the library!

Respond to this message   
JEB
(no login)

A Winner

January 19 2005, 12:45 PM 

Suzanne, You did it again. This book is a winner. What a great addition to my growing list of "must read".

Respond to this message   
rose
(no login)

I LOVE IT

January 19 2005, 5:21 PM 

Just one day to go and already I'm suffering separation pangs, knowing tomorrow is the last excerpt and wondering what else can possibly happen in this very funny, yet human book. It's not high literature, but so easy to read -- and I really care about what happens to Susan. An added bonus is that I have friends living in Charleston and so can visualise the locations. This is yet another club choice that I'll have to buy. Thanks, Suzanne!

Respond to this message   
Rachel
(no login)

Re: Sullivan's Island (Fiction)

January 19 2005, 8:22 PM 

Love it! I live in South Carolina & know these areas well. I have already requested this from the library. Great choice this week!

Respond to this message   

(Login sahara42)

January 19 2005, 11:40 PM 

"Sullivan'sIsland" is a tremendously funny book! Iwasfortunate enough topurchase it one day and thought that it was a scream. The part where Susan walks in on her husband and his lover had me rolling with laughter. Livie is a wonderful character who adds just the right amount of spice to the mixture. I really hope all of you will have the opprtunity to finish this book. It's a winner.

Respond to this message   

(Login sahara42)

January 19 2005, 11:47 PM 

This book is tremendously funny. I purchased a copy on a whim last year and have not regretted it one bit. The part where Susan walks in on her husband and his lover had me rolling with laugther. I adored LIvie. She really adds spice to the mixture. If you haven't yet read this, then I suggest that you grab a copy.

Respond to this message   
eLIZabeth
(no login)

I agree....

January 21 2005, 6:56 AM 

Livie was my absolute favorite. I had the fun of listening to this book on audiotape and while I didn't think the reader's southern accents were so great, the exception was hearing Livie speaking in Gullah. It was wonderful! Then I realized the audioversion I had was abridged(I HATE ABRIDGED!!) so read the book all the way through. I am now reading her second book, "Plantation" and am enjoying it very much. Great and fun reading. Happy reviews from a South Carolina Girl :)

Respond to this message   
Denise
(Login jandd728)

January 20 2005, 7:04 PM 

I like this book. Very easy to read. I was in that part of the country last year so it reminds of being on vacation there.

Respond to this message   

(Login sallypercifull)

Laughed out loud

January 21 2005, 8:04 AM 

Just love the book. I just laughed out loud when she fixed his aftershave & cologne. Have requested a copy from the library.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Thanks!

January 21 2005, 9:38 AM 

To all - Hey! (Like we say down south, instead of hi or hello.) Huge thanks for reading my book and most especially for your nice comments! Best wishes, Dot Frank

Respond to this message   
Marian
(no login)

Sullivan's Island

January 22 2005, 10:16 AM 

I am excited about this online book club. It is a great way to preview new books. There are so many writers out there it is hard to find stories I like to read. This book is different than what I am accustomed to but I think I will try it. It seems to hold my interest. Again, thanks for making this available to us...

Respond to this message   
Pat
(no login)

Great book

January 25 2005, 11:21 PM 

I read the first two chapters through the e-mail book club, but have since received it from the library. It was a great book. I enjoyed it so much I completed it in two days.

Respond to this message   
Suzi
(no login)

Great Read

January 31 2005, 7:44 AM 

I have just about finished this book and I have really enjoyed it. This is a well written story of a family and it is told in generations. I have never read this author before but am looking into some of her other writings, (as if I don't have a big enough reading list)! I really enjoyed the South Carolina setting.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

love the club

March 14 2005, 10:28 AM 

Love the Club:
Loved this book, I got it on tape and listened on the way to and from work last week. When the weekend came I had to find reasons to be in the car to finish it...
Thanks,
Cathy

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Sullivan's Island (Fiction)
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.