How I Live Now (Teen)

February 18 2005 at 3:51 PM
Meg Rosoff  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

t0385746776_l

How I Live Now
by Meg Rosoff
Buy book: $10.68

Fifteen-year-old Daisy is sent from Manhattan to England to visit her aunt and cousins she's never met: three boys near her age, and their little sister. Her aunt goes away on business soon after Daisy arrives. The next day bombs go off as London is attacked and occupied by an unnamed enemy.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Chelsie
(no login)

Really Good So Far

February 21 2005, 5:05 PM 

I really like this book so far. I like how the story is kinda like a dialouge, and I already love Daisy's character. I even kinda like Edmond. I like how he is so sure of himself but not too sure... so yup... that's it. I like the book so far.

Respond to this message   
pam
(no login)

good book

February 22 2005, 5:54 AM 

Even though I haven't been a teen for many years, I still love this book.

Respond to this message   
Katharine
(no login)

How I Live Now

February 22 2005, 3:34 PM 

I like this book, so far. The author has a good sense of humour along with an interesting writing style.

Respond to this message   
Tiqua
(no login)

Wow!

February 22 2005, 10:47 PM 

This book seems really good so far. I feel a little grossed out about the cousin thing though. :/ I read a review 4 this book on another site, and some1 who's finished it, and she said the novel was excellent, but the images it created disturbed her sometimes. I am very easily scared, but even though this description creeped me out, it made me want the book even more! I can't wait to read it. The reviewer also said that the ending wasn't one of the fairy tale kinds, so look out if you decide 2 get this book!

Respond to this message   
Rita
(no login)

Not so sure

February 24 2005, 12:42 AM 

The character development is great and you almost feel as if you are there with her, but so far the circumstances are just too good to last. The dialogue style of writing is different too but those very very long run-on sentences in every single paragraph are getting irritating. Nobody talks that way ALL the time. I don't think I'll finish the book for that reason.

Respond to this message   
Tiqua
(no login)

Kinda, kinda not

February 24 2005, 8:05 PM 

I kinda agree that the run on sentences make this a little difficult to read. But the plot itself and the main character's blatant honesty keep me reading, andI think I'll be checking this book out.

Respond to this message   
Faiqa
(no login)

OMG!!

February 24 2005, 11:55 AM 

this book is gr8. i luv it. its gonna make my personal reading list. m i the only 1 who likes it? pleez email me if u wanna chat. thx

Respond to this message   
Pam
(no login)

Off to the Library

February 25 2005, 6:17 AM 

I love this book and am ordering it from our library right away. LOve the characters, love the setting, love the hints of mystery in the air.

Respond to this message   
Zoe
(Login shootinstar13)

AWESOME BOOK

February 25 2005, 7:53 PM 

You are so right about the book! I was so excited when I got it by email! I cant wait to check it out!!!!!!!!!!

Respond to this message   
Paige
(no login)

wow

April 4 2005, 4:03 PM 

u r not the only 1 2 like that book i loved it i thought it was amazing and i would totally read it again

thanx
Paige

Respond to this message   
Keely
(no login)

WOW

February 26 2005, 12:26 AM 

I love this book I just requested it from the libery. I can't wait to read on.

Respond to this message   
anna = )
(no login)

Eh...

August 17 2005, 8:32 PM 

I started reading the book today, and so far I'm pretty impressed. It's hard to distinguish between dialogue and thoughts, and its hard to figure out which war exactly the author keeps talking about. It seems set in the present, but still... Anyways, the book is pretty good so far = )

Respond to this message   
Me!
(no login)

Bemused-ish, liked it on a whole

October 26 2005, 7:31 AM 

I just finished the book (last night, around 3.15), but i waited till I'd finished it to look it up in the 'ternet. At the time I couldn't really figure out if it was supposed to be set in the past, WW2 maybe, 'cause it kinda ran with the countryside feel, and rationing, and the way they ate etc., but the stuff about cell phones and email threw me off. I had an idea it was maybe WW3, but I don't think it came across in the story. With the thing about Edmond, it might be kinda wierd, incest doesn't really bother me unless it's a parent-child thing. I suppose it's the age diff that freaks me out. I think that, had I been Daisy, I would've fallen in love with Edmond too, especially if he fell in love with me. The 'hopeful doggy' description at the start was absolutely adorable! What did strike me was that in 9/10 of the reviews it gets (Amazon, various websites) the matter about her 'unique' writting style doesn't get brought up. After a while, when you're really into the story, you can brush over it, and the get-it-all-out-in-one-without-pausing-for-breath punctuation works with you trying to rush through the story to find out what happens. At the start I found it a bit wierd, and it made it slightly hard to read, but it's a satisfying read all in all. The emotional journey Daisy goes through is quite gratifying for the reader, and I thought the epic trek through the country to where Edmond and Isaac were was amazing.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - How I Live Now (Teen)
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.