<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  

The Gift of Change (Good News)

April 10 2005 at 1:47 PM
Marianne Williamson  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

g006058534X_l

The Gift of Change
by Marianne Williamson
Buy book: $12.74

Bestselling author and popular spiritual teacher Marianne Williamson returns with an inspiring book of spiritual wisdom for people of all ages to help navigate life's significant transitions.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Pam
(no login)

change

April 11 2005, 6:41 AM 

Good topic, good start.

Respond to this message   
monty
(no login)

critique

April 11 2005, 7:22 AM 

So far this book really gives me a bad impression. It certainly is not good news or the kind of thing that real truly help someone get to the very spirit of change or should I say receive the change sent by Yahweh.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Troubling Might Be Good

April 11 2005, 10:31 AM 

I don't know. I admit that this initial read gives one a bit of an uneasy feeling at first, but that is the authors point, don't you think? It is being pointed out that discussing "the big picture" causes uneasiness and tends to be avoided. The point is that if the big picture is looked at and not avoided, that it is healthy for the soul. I'm interested in reading on tomorrow to see where this is going.

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Gift of Change -

April 11 2005, 2:48 PM 

Have read something by this author before - think she has written many books along these same lines -

But in an excerpt from this book I read of just a few pages found this quote "for as we block love's power to change our own lives, we block love's power to change the world" -

I think we are all looking for "happiness" or a solution to our problems - so we reach for whatever we see or hear of that promises it - and there are many promises and "promisers" out there - the proverbial carrot dangled in front of the donkey -

What's the saying - "the proof is in the pudding?" -

Comments - anyone? -

Respond to this message   
Pam
(no login)

pudding

April 12 2005, 6:18 AM 

Basic, but yes, the proof is in the pudding! Put biblically, 'by their fruits ye shall know them' maybe?
I am enjoying this book but now I want to read Return to Love and look into the Course in Miracles as well.
It is interesting, what the author says about her first book being about changing herself and this one having a broader focus. No matter how individual we are, we seem to exist within a developmental structure that, when unimpeded, starts with complete selfishness and expands outward from there.
I think this is a timely book.

Respond to this message   
Elizabeth
(no login)

Pudding

April 12 2005, 11:53 AM 

The stuff that life is actually made of...pudding maybe. Aren't we all trying to find out what that is. I agree that this book is timely and I too will search out this author's other books. This is the line of which I am reading now, because once you get past scared and confused about what is going on in the world at this moment and stop to think about why we are here, you will see that this book is on that line of thinking. I believe this will be a very good read and look forward to finishing it. I believe that the way to enjoy this book is to open your minds to new possiblilities!

Respond to this message   

(no login)

I Don't Know

April 12 2005, 12:41 PM 

This second installment has me wondering if this is just an effort at a new way to aproach the New Age stuff. I don't know. I guess I'll keep reading the other installments, but I am beginning to get apprehensive. I don't really consider New Age stuff Good News. Monty, you might have a point after all!

Respond to this message   
Mimi
(no login)

Re: I Don't Know

April 13 2005, 10:22 PM 

In response to your wondering if Marianne Williamson is a little "New Age" see below part of an interview done with her:

What Marianne Williamson Believes About Jesus

A conversation between an itinerant writer and a spirituality guru.
Subject? Jesus.

By William J. Elliott

Spiritual pilgrim and psychotherapist Bill Elliott travelled the country in a motor home, interviewing believers about what Jesus means to them. The result is "A Place at the Table," a new book of 24 interviews with scholars, evangelists, and mystics.

One of his most arresting conversations was with New Age guru Marianne Williamson, author of "A Return to Love," which is based on the teachings of A Course in Miracles.

Respond to this message   
Renee
(no login)

disappointed

April 12 2005, 2:08 PM 

I am disappointed to read a book that seems to promote the idea that all is doom & gloom. Sure there are some bad things in the world today, but there are many good things as well. I usually read the emails even if I'm not sure I like the book, but I will be skipping the rest of this book.

Respond to this message   
Pam
(no login)

happy/unhappy

April 13 2005, 6:24 AM 

True, there are many of us who don't live our lives with underlying unhappiness as the author seems to say. But looking at the broader world and the frantic search for ?that seems to go on in many people's lives, I would venture to say that many people don't have that calm centre that 'holds' in times of unrest.
I don't think this is a new agey author but who knows. I'm going to read her first book and the course of miracles anyway... or at least look at them. I too have no patience with new age books that all seem to recycle the same tired (not necessarily bad)ideas and seem to have little purpose but to make their authors rich. Proof is in the pudding...have the authors changed?

Respond to this message   
Kristen
(no login)

Not us, but Him

April 13 2005, 8:18 AM 

I no longer believe in "Self help", but I believe in help from God.

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

"Self Help"

April 13 2005, 11:09 AM 

How appropos - I just received a book of assorted quotes as a gift the other day on various topics and one I remember is something like "God cannot tie our shoe laces without our help" - something akin to "God helps those who help themselves" I suppose -

Respond to this message   
Pam
(no login)

self help

April 13 2005, 3:12 PM 

But what about those who can't help themselves?

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Re: self help

April 14 2005, 12:41 PM 

Pam - seems we have quite an assortment of responses here - hope none of my remarks were offensive to anyone - did not mean to be -

In answer to your question - I think my best response would be that we should then try to help them individually and/or collectively - also remembering "feed a man for a day and he is fed for a day - teach him to fish and he is fed for a lifetime" or words to that effect -

I also am going to try to find the interview with Williamson mentioned in another response -

Respond to this message   
Pam
(no login)

offense?

April 15 2005, 2:59 PM 

Pas mois! Not one to take offense at someone else's opinion, I love diversity of views and remarks, the more the better. Might sometimes play 'devil's advocate' myself...

Respond to this message   
Joan
(no login)

self help

April 20 2005, 9:43 AM 

with God's grace we can all help ourselves. that is like saying God makes junk. he doesn't. a person's ability to help themself varies from time to time, place to place, and person to person. in the least we can be some form of God's grace to each other.

Respond to this message   
Pam
(no login)

prologue?

April 14 2005, 6:11 AM 

So Mon, Tues & Wed were all prologue and the book is just starting today! I am undecided about this book. There is a lot of repetition (needs good editor but maybe she would end up with just an essay & not a book) but I like most of her basic ideas. However, whatever Christianity is or is not, I believe it is basically simple and accessible to all so I hope she is not going to come out with something complicated.
Her first book is waiting for me at the library - we'll see. We can always use reminders of how we should live.

Respond to this message   
Ruth Ann
(no login)

"Who we are at our core"

April 14 2005, 11:37 AM 

I disagree with her statement that "who we are at our core is love itself". I believe that only God is love in His very nature. We can strive to be more loving and unselfish but that is not our basic human nature.

Respond to this message   
Kristen
(no login)

Love

April 14 2005, 5:02 PM 

Very well put!

Respond to this message   

(Login Heidi-Ho)

This is how I'm feeling...

April 14 2005, 11:31 AM 

This book really hit the nail on the head for me. I'm battling with change right now, and can relate to the "doom and gloom", but also to the fact "I can change this", by changing my thinking. I imagine now is a good time to learn how to deal with change, and grow. I called up my favorite inspirational store here in Carson City, and asked for it to be ordered for me. If I pay for a book, that means I'm impressed. It also means I will will probably read other titles by this author too. Thank you!

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

News Alert !!! FYI -

April 14 2005, 4:32 PM 

Just received news that Marianne is on Larry King tonite at 9pm EST on CNN - panel disussion of "what happens after we die" -

Respond to this message   

(no login)

no cable

April 15 2005, 6:14 AM 

Darn, we are out in the country with only two snowy channels for our viewing enjoyment! Any chance of getting a short synopsis of the interview or just impressions of this author? Today's excerpt was much more 'Christian' in content than previous. The interviewer mentioned in a previous posting referred to her as a 'new age guru' but perhaps she doesn't see herself as such. Have to get to the library today...Course of Miracles is in.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Fear of God is Healthy

April 14 2005, 3:16 PM 

I guess that I have to give up. I won't be reading the last selection tomorrow for this book. Change for the positive is good, of this the author and I agree. I, however, don't see fear and love as the only base emotions and I certainly don't see them as opposites. The Bible tells us to "Fear the Lord" That is not to say we must be afraid. Fear is not always about being afraid. I fear touching a hot stove. Is that unhealthy? I don't think so. Just because I focus on love, I won't touch a stove and not get burned. God is love. Why would we be told to fear love? Because it is a healthy fear, knowing that He has the power over all things. It is more of a acknowledgement of God's omnipotence. Thanks Mimi for the quote in the interview. I will try looking up the interview too:)

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

TO KATHERINE

April 15 2005, 12:39 PM 

Very intuitive of you re New Age.

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Larry Kings 4/14/ panel discussion

April 19 2005, 10:34 AM 

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0504/14/lkl.01.html

okay, I've tied and tried - maybe this time it will work - I'm nothing if not persevering (like a dog with a bone) - will see what happens this time -

Respond to this message   
Pam
(no login)

thanks

April 20 2005, 5:01 AM 

Thanks Doris, I just copied the address down and will try it out. The Course of Miracles book is too much to read in a short time. One would need to own it and study it like the bible. Enjoyed her first book though I skimmed somewhat. Course of Miracles evidently written through Divine intervention which always raises red flags with me. Seems to contain good things though. Next I will read this Change book.

Respond to this message   
Pam
(no login)

got it

April 20 2005, 5:23 AM 

Okay, I got to the site & read the transcript, very interesting. I get the feeling that maybe Marianne doesn't have both her feet on the ground, if you know what I mean. I agree with your 'proof is in the pudding' but she might say the pudding doesn't really exist depending on whether it is lemon or vanilla!

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - The Gift of Change (Good News)
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.