Bushwhacked Bride (Romance)

June 23 2005 at 7:20 AM
Eugenia Riley  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

r0505523205_l

Bushwhacked Bride
by Eugenia Riley
Buy book: $5.95

Five outlaw brothers compete for the hand of one slightly bewildered bride in this second book in Love Spell's charming series of humorous romances, "Wink & a Kiss!."

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dani
(no login)

Re: Bushwhacked Bride (Romance)

June 27 2005, 7:34 AM 

We're supposed to believe that a history professor would go on a re-enactment trip for research?!?!?!

I'm not sure even my sense of suspended disbelief is that good - and I'm willing to believe just about anything for the sake of a good story.

I'm withholding judgement . . .

Dani

Respond to this message   
Maria
(no login)

Time Travel Western -- you're kidding, right?

June 27 2005, 10:01 AM 

I like my westerns "straight up", not the latest trend or some kind of "chic lit" morph. Give me a macho hero who needs a strong western woman, and some good action. If I wanted "chic lit" I'd buy it.

The abundance of cute "quoted phrases" in this passage gagged me -- I know this is all the rage in chic lit, but it doesn't work in a good western:

"true life", "wild west", "eau de manure", "back in the saddle again", "guests", "inmates", "re-enactment", "authentic old west adventures" "a picnic at Mariposa", "life in the old west" . . . there must be 30 of them in this short clip alone.

The writing style just isn't suited to a western type novel, and I'm wondering why the editor didn't catch this problem.

I see where she's going with it, and it could be humorous, but right now it just seems forced. I'll give it another day, but I've read lots of western romances and this one isn't doing it for me.

Respond to this message   
Terrie
(no login)

Give it a Chance - - - You Will ENJOY IT ! & LAUGH!

July 2 2005, 11:49 AM 

I read it . Get Pass the set up. You will not wont to put it down. And the Boys'Mom is priceless! and there is a "BUSHWHACKED GROOM" i JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW IT'S REALLY GOOD! ** *

Respond to this message   
Dani
(no login)

I spoke too soon

June 29 2005, 7:08 AM 

Well, I guess I was going to be expected to suspend my disbelief for a lot more than simply what's appropriate historical research. Time travel certainly tops that.

I'm with Maria. I usually enjoy Westerns, but time travel I can do without whether it's modern women going back to ancient Scotland or Vikings coming to L.A., I never can overcome my problem with the original premise. I did always enjoy "A CT Yankee in King Arthur's Court," but most of these romance authors aren't quite as talanted as Mark Twain. Perhaps this genre works better as political satire than as romance.

I'll kep reading because I love to read Suzanne's notes, even if I'm not enjoying the week's selection, but I'm looking forward to Monday.

Dani

Respond to this message   
Erin
(no login)

Bushwhacked Time-Travel

July 1 2005, 2:23 PM 

I like to read time travel stories. I have no problem suspending disbelief to enjoy the possibilities of "what if?", but the quality of the lines delivered left me wincing.

Respond to this message   
Pam
(no login)

groan

July 1 2005, 6:17 PM 

This was just awful!

Respond to this message   
Diana
(Login twinglemom97)

Not my type of book

July 1 2005, 6:45 PM 

I actually just started reading romance novels so I'm definately not an expert by any means but this book will not be making it into my good pile. I look forward to next week.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.