An Unfinished Life (Fiction)

July 1 2005 at 4:01 PM
Mark Spragg  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

f1400042011_l

An Unfinished Life
by Mark Spragg
Buy book: $13.35

Mark Spragg's highly acclaimed novel of a complex prodigal homecoming comes to the big screen in December. The Miramax release stars Jennifer Lopez. Robert Redford, Camyn Manheim, Morgan Freeman, Damian Lewis, and Josh Lucas.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Pat
(Login loonyhiker)

Re: An Unfinished Life (Fiction)

July 4 2005, 6:04 AM 

I think I will like this book but I'm partial to ones that involve kids. I like the way it started right off the bat.

Respond to this message   
Pam
(no login)

summer reading

July 4 2005, 6:39 AM 

Have not heard of this book but I enjoyed the beginning, lots of potential, interesting characters.

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

July 4 2005, 10:32 AM 

Happy 4th to All !!! - Hope all are having a good day whether gathering with family and/or friends with lots of good food or spending a quiet day at home -

This is looking to me to be a good read (think it's already a movie, but I've not seen it - and we know the book is always better) -
As I was reading this morn. thought of how nice it is to have this club - Thanks Suzanne - and even tho' the reads are short - makes us (me) slow down and savor the words and phrases and absorb the atmosphere into myself - and also share thoughts with other readers - Looking forward to the rest of the week -
- Doris -

Respond to this message   
Jeff
(Login jreader)

Unfinished Life

July 4 2005, 10:35 AM 

Wow. A great start to this novel. I have never heard of Mark Spragg, and was surprised to hear that this was already in the works to go to the big screen. I read widely, and always am pleased to come across new authors (new to me, that is). I really enjoyed this first section of the novel. I loved the feel from the old man, great description; I empathize with him and his getting old, although I have a ways to go. It is one of my greatest fears, to see my kids die before me. I don't know if it would make me stronger, like it seems to do with some of the people I read about or know of. Is the main character here strong? I think of my late grandfather, of how strong he was. He had seen some tragedy in his life. But what was he like on the inside? What was her really feeling? I can't wait to hear back from you, and for tomorrow's addition! This is a wonderful forum - also my first time writing in!

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Re: Unfinished Life

July 5 2005, 1:12 AM 

Such a too soon old and wise little girl -
"Everybody's mother is good at something. Her mother's good at
finding the same man, no matter where she lives." But hopefully things will get better and turn out all right in the end - I get that from the preview - but we shall see -

Respond to this message   
Mindi
(no login)

Re: Unfinished Life

July 5 2005, 3:50 AM 

My first time writing here though I've been reading for awhile and belong to several of the clubs. I like the beginning of this one so far. I like how he says someone should have explained how it was to get old and then that someone probably did and he wasn't listening. I laughed at that. Sounds like something I would do. Looking forward to reading more.

Respond to this message   
rose
(no login)

not sure

July 5 2005, 6:20 AM 

After I finished the first day's excerpt, I thought that this seemed like the kind of book I would read avidly, cover to cover. It is intriguing and tells the story of a region and American culture that is unfamilar to me and I love anything new or different. Usually, I rush into commenting after just one day -- this time, I waited until today. The review I intended to write has changed, praise reduced over a couple of quite small points. I was disappointed when I read of books in a sauna, feathers and posters on the wall. Surely the author must know that they would be wrecked in that hot, steamy atmosphere? Even the wooden walls of a sauna crack and seep resin. Also, I wasn't sure about the little low dog window. While a charming touch, surely it would be so covered with steam you wouldn't be able to see in, or out. Small details like this irritate me and spoil my enjoyment of books because, perhaps obsessively, I brood about them. In an instant, the carefully crafted atmosphere goes, like a pricked balloon.

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Saunas and Pricked Balloons -

July 5 2005, 11:47 AM 

Hello again, Rose - I had to laugh when I read your response as I know nothing of the construction of saunas - sounded like a log cabin to me and that sounded appealing - (in fact told my son in jest thought I would like one in the back yard but really don't even think a log cabin would be allowed) - but sounded like a lovely place to look out the windows and wasn't there a skylight also?
And we already have a woodburning stove not in use - ha -

I did not think of the steam fogging up the windows, resin, etc. while I was "sweating" - maybe I could just use it without the steam for my getaway/meditation/room - Wasn't it Virginia Wolfe who said every woman needs a room of her own or the name of one of her books? - Doris -

Respond to this message   
Pam
(no login)

saunas

July 5 2005, 6:40 PM 

I wish I hadn't deleted it, now I want to reread from the beginning. I had a fleeting thought as I read about the books etc., thinking, wasn't he sitting on the porch? what(having forgotten totally about the sauna) window is he looking through anyway? But then just went on. Why did I think he was sitting on the porch? But what can you expect from someone who thought Banner over Heaven was about Nepal! Yeah, I can identify about the old age stuff in this book for sure!

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

Re: not sure

August 22 2005, 10:12 PM 

It's a dry sauna, not a steam bath.

Respond to this message   
Jackie
(no login)

Nice

July 5 2005, 7:16 AM 

I think this book is going to be a great.
I will be going to the library for this book.

Respond to this message   
Angela in Ramstein
(no login)

On hold at the library

July 6 2005, 5:13 AM 

LOL...it's like flashbacks from childhood. Yes, I'll read this one.

Happy Reading All!
Love,
Ang

Respond to this message   
Mindi
(no login)

July 6 2005, 1:15 AM 

I had to go back and reread to find the part about the windows and posters, books, and feathers. I hadn't even thought twice about them until Rose brought them up. I guess I can understand windows in a stand-alone structure even if they get fogged up or whatever. Can't comprehend books and posters and how they would last in the steam and heat. I'm still enjoying the read though. Sad that the 9yo girl seems to be more wise than her mother and very very sad that she has to worry about going through puberty. Sounds like she can't rely on mom to protect her. How scary to have that looming on the horizon and not feel safe. Can't wait to see what happens next. This one is going on my long, long, long "to be read" list even with the little annoyances about the sauna.

Mindi
currently reading: Tears of the Giraffe by Alexander McCall Smith and A Perfect Groom by Samantha James

Respond to this message   
Lojo
(Login Lojo5)

Good Book

July 26 2005, 9:22 AM 

I could see Robert Redford as Einar, but I think Clint Eastwood would have been excellent. I finished the book in 3 days. I really enjoyed it. It was great to see how close Griff gets to her Grandfather and his friend. I was a little disturbed about the mohter and how quickly she seeeks another man in her life and the way she does it.

Respond to this message   
Pam
(no login)

today's reading

July 6 2005, 5:57 AM 

Well Rose, now I'm looking for things in this book! I'm still enjoying it and would like to read the whole thing...but..if she put her wet washcloth and damp toothbrush etc into the plastic ziplock bag every night they would quickly get pretty smelly and unuseable!

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Okay - enough already - ( : ) (is that a smily face?

July 6 2005, 9:41 AM 

I'm just going to look at the big picture - the question I am asking myself today is - is the girl preparing to run away? Her mother promised - at first I thought she meant smoking, then decided she meant getting Ron out of her life - will have to wait and see - already have this one on hold at my library -

Respond to this message   
Sherri
(no login)

Very Interesting

July 6 2005, 3:27 PM 

This book intrigues me to go out and find it at the library. I have only read the first 3 emails so far, and cannot wait to see what they are going to do next. Sounds like a book that you could get into and read without putting down.

Respond to this message   
Pam
(no login)

today's reading

July 7 2005, 5:51 AM 

Don't you love, "One of the few gifts of old age...is that the essentials rise to the top."? I see that Robert Redford is in the movie but I find it hard to picture him as Einar.
Knew from the blurb that they would leave Roy but it's nice that the mother is keeping her promise to Griff right away when Griff reminds her.

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Re: today's reading

July 7 2005, 10:12 AM 

I noticed and loved that quote also, Pam - and we do know they will go to her grandfather's - hopefully today - but the thought of her packing her suitcase every morning is heartbreakingly hopeful/active/passive all at the same time - but she's doing all she can do at the moment - Time for some peace and happiness for this little girl -

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.