A Continent for the Taking (NonFiction)

July 1 2005 at 4:02 PM
Howard W. French  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

n0375414614_l

A Continent for the Taking
by Howard W. French
Buy book: $15.75

In this powerfully written book, a senior writer for the "New York Times" gives an unstinting account of the disastrous consequences of the centuries-old encounters between Africa and the West.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Pam
(no login)

timely book

July 4 2005, 6:36 AM 

Looks good. Drawn in by first installment. So many horrific things going on in Africa now yet I am incredibly ignorant about the country. Looking forward to this.

Respond to this message   
Linda
(no login)

Wonderful!

July 4 2005, 1:09 PM 

I am so grateful to learn of this book, to read about the author, and to 'hear' the thoughts of an African American living in, observing and learning about Africa. What a fabulous book choice; thank you very much.

Respond to this message   
IreneB
(no login)

continent

July 6 2005, 9:03 AM 

I am enjoying this one very much so far and plan to obtain it to read the whole thing. Quite different than the last "big" book I read about the continent of Africa. That was back in the 40`s and was Osa Johnson`s "I Married Adventure" and was when Africa was still Africa.

Respond to this message   
Chris
(Login catena)

A Continent fo the Taking

July 6 2005, 10:17 AM 

Immediately engaging in the first few paragraphs. I will definitely read this whole book - especially with the G8 and Live8 shining the light on the plight of Africa. A great inside look.

Respond to this message   
Moussa
(no login)

Great Book

July 8 2005, 2:41 AM 

I'm really enjoying this book. Being from Mali (but living in the US) I have to say it's pretty interesting to see Mali through a foreigner’s eyes. I’ll definitely go get my own copy.

Respond to this message   
Frank H.
(no login)

A Poignant Read

July 8 2005, 11:17 AM 

Africa, as seen through the eyes of a discerning African-American. This should be read--but won't be--by those in our government who continue to view that continent and its peoples with attitudes shaped by exploitative colonialism, capitalism, and bad Hollywood movies.

Respond to this message   
Vanette Hamilton
(no login)

Re: A Continent for the Taking (NonFiction)

July 8 2005, 9:38 AM 

Fascinating!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.