The Mind At Night (NonFiction)

July 10 2005 at 1:33 PM
Andrea Rock  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

n0738207551_l

The Mind At Night
by Andrea Rock
Buy book: $16.38

Over the past few decades, there has been a revolution in scientific knowledge about why people dream, what's happening to the brain when they do, and what the sleeping mind reveals about waking hours. Beginning with the birth of dream research in the 1950s, award-winning science reporter Rock traces the brief but fascinating history of this emerging scientific field.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Lauren
(no login)

The mind at night

July 11 2005, 7:28 AM 

I just started this book club. The first book did not interest me. The first chapter of this book however has caught my attention and I'm eagerly awaiting Chapter two. I had just awoke from a strange dream and logged onto my e-mail When to my surprise the new book is about dreams!

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Sleeping - Dreaming, etc.

July 11 2005, 9:49 AM 

This may be a good book if I don't fall asleep during the reading of it - (my feeble attempt at humour this a.m.)

Respond to this message   
Lorinda
(no login)

Dreams

July 11 2005, 10:40 AM 

I hope he really gets into this subject. My dreams could be anything from Steven Spielberg to Wes Craven movies. I know some of it comes from worrying and never being able to turn my mind off.

Respond to this message   
Lylah
(no login)

Re: Dreams

July 12 2005, 12:38 PM 

Lorinda -

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with a multiplex cinema in my brain at night. I like to think it's a sign of my imaginative power! I do hope the author gets into explanations of different types of dreaming.

Respond to this message   
Lorinda
(no login)

Dreams

July 13 2005, 12:19 PM 

Lylah: I do think part of it is our "creative" side-but my dreams are often full of stress, which I think reflects "stuff" going on in my life that I don't let go of, even at night. This is one of the reasons I am a psych major!

Respond to this message   
pam
(no login)

dreaming

July 11 2005, 3:23 PM 

Looking forward to this. I love dreaming!

Respond to this message   
Michele
(no login)

First impression

July 11 2005, 5:35 PM 

Funny. It didn't start out the way I expected, but I like that. A comical start to a non-fictional story. I almost want to know what happens to Eugene and his family more than I want to know about dreams. We will see tomorrow. Smiles.

Respond to this message   
Lauren
(no login)

Still interesting

July 12 2005, 5:26 PM 

I just read the second chapter and am "hooked"

Lauren

Respond to this message   
spechan
(no login)

the Mind at Night

July 12 2005, 11:06 PM 

I am so happy to read exerpts from this book. when I was a student at UCDavis in the 60's, I did an honors study on sleep, (which I didn't finish because of personal reasons). At that time Dr. Kleitman was a very big name as was the fact of Rapid Eye Movement sleep, its link to dreaming and chemical rejuvenation of the brain. I am really really excited to be brought up to date where I left off in my studies. SP

Respond to this message   
Anchal
(no login)

Dreams!!!

July 13 2005, 12:43 AM 

this book is really nice. I can't wait to go to the library and read the entire book!!! I'd learned in my psychology class about the stages of sleep and dream interpretation, so i had an idea what to expect from a book like this, but it just went way above my expectations!!! Happy Reading!!!!

Respond to this message   
Judy
(no login)

The Mind at Night

July 15 2005, 12:12 PM 

What a great title and what a great topic. I am one of those in that stage of life where my total sleep is less and I get up several times during the night. Interestingly though, I feel more refreshed now than 10-15 years ago when I slept 9-10 hours each night and woke up tired. This book is a definite read - hope there is some information about the dreams of the blind.

Respond to this message   
Linda
(no login)

research on dreams!

July 20 2005, 8:54 PM 

One week later, I've checked this out of the library and am intrigued. Hadn't heard of lucid dreaming. Here's to the work of the brain at night! Thanks for this selection.

Respond to this message   
Janet Rowley
(no login)

The Mind at Night

July 23 2005, 9:28 PM 

I have always been interested in the study of sleep. People I work with are always trying to interpret their dreams. I look forward to reading this book and learning more about dreams and sleep. Maybe then I will beging to understand the sleep patterns of my 21 year old and my 18 year old!!!!!!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.