Queen of Scots (NonFiction)

July 31 2005 at 11:52 AM
John Guy  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

n0618254110_l

Queen of Scots
by John Guy
Buy book: $17.64

Eminent British historian Guy has unearthed a wealth of evidence that upends the popular notion of Mary Queen of Scots as a femme fatale and establishes her as the intellectual and political equal of Elizabeth I.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Michelle Morgan
(no login)

Great book so far

August 1 2005, 9:19 AM 

I think I already want to check this book out. It seems great already. I love this service, it just rocks!!!!

Respond to this message   
Linda
(no login)

Cliffhanger

August 1 2005, 2:33 PM 

I'm intrigued! Mary, Queen of Scots, reanalyzed, by a male, as more than an 'emotional' woman or a Catholic intent on returning England to the Catholic fold; what a triumph of research. This first installation ends as a cliffhanger: ZOWIE!

Respond to this message   
Vanette Hamilton
(no login)

Good one!

August 2 2005, 8:09 AM 

I definitely want to read the entire book!

Respond to this message   
Susan
(no login)

John Guy's book

August 2 2005, 11:44 AM 

I've read several books, fiction and non-fiction about the Tudor period. I enjoy Alison Weir's books tremendously and it looks like I'll have to add another author to my list of favorites. I'd never heard of John Guy. Thanks to the online book club for a good choice!

Respond to this message   
Irene
(no login)

Queen of Scots

August 4 2005, 9:56 AM 

It`s been many years since I read about the Tudors but this book seems so well written, that I guess I`m "hooked" again and will be reading the whole book asap.

Respond to this message   
Jen
(no login)

Hooray!

August 2 2005, 7:09 PM 

I have been completely mesmerized by the Tudor period for quite some time. The tragedy of Lady Jane Grey has always been a special favorite of mine. I'm so glad to find more and more writers that open up new windows into this fascinating period!! Just last week I finished a fun and easy (historical-fiction) read called "The Other Boleyn Girl" by Philippa Gregory. Ever since I finished it, I've been delving back into the Tudor's lives, devouring everything about them. . .from non-fiction to historical fiction. I'm so excited for this book as I haven't read as much about the mysterious Mary Stuart! Can't wait for more!

Respond to this message   
Fran Sills
(no login)

Wonderful Writing

August 3 2005, 7:32 AM 

I've already reserved the book at the library.If my request takes too long, I'll have to buy it.

I'm a real Tudor/Stuart fan so I'll just gobble up this book. I've read the Margaret George novel and listened to the Teaching Company course. This book will be a welcome addition to my obsession! I even slept in a Scottish castle where Mary hid for 16 months and where her maid was murdered.

Respond to this message   
Tina
(no login)

Re: Queen of Scots (NonFiction)

August 4 2005, 7:27 AM 

I just joined and what a great service this is! I have done extensive reading on Elizabeth I and Mary Queen of Scots was never protrayed in a good light...This is fsacinating and now I must hear the "Rest of the Story"

Respond to this message   
Robert
(no login)

Re: Queen of Scots (NonFiction)

August 5 2005, 6:45 PM 

Mary was quite the Scot, was she not. Can't wait for the next instalment. Please hurry!!! Robert...

Respond to this message   
MBG1968
(no login)

Wow!

August 11 2005, 11:16 AM 

I've never been that interested in Tudor history, BUT that execution scene has got to be one of THE MOST gripping things I've read lately.

The grieving servants, the surprise undergarments, the little dog, the head without hair... WOW! What a story!

She was one feisty woman!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.