The Fire Baby (Mystery)

August 7 2005 at 6:28 PM
Jim Kelly  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

m0312321457_l

The Fire Baby
by Jim Kelly
Buy book: $15.72

Reporter Philip Dryson hopes to blow open a murder story with the help of a dying woman and his own comatose wife. This is the follow-up to Kelly's debut, "The Water Clock," which was shortlisted for Britain's John Creasey Award.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Pam
(no login)

Fire Baby

August 8 2005, 6:15 AM 

Definite potential here!

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Fire Baby -

August 8 2005, 11:48 AM 

Yes, does look very promising - of course it's on wait list at library and they do not have his first book mentioned but read an excerpt at amazon and would like to read that one first in fact -but they don't have that one at all - hope can find in paperback - sometimes these British books slow me down a bit - unfamiliar surroundings, sayings, etc. - this one also is recommended by Colin Dexter, which I remember the name, but not his books, so will have to check back - rung a good note in my mind -

I am completely out of books and you know how that feels - like I have no food in the house - my dtr. always says she feels so rich after making a fruitful trip to the library -

Respond to this message   
Pam
(no login)

NO BOOKS! Aaaargh!

August 9 2005, 6:08 AM 

My sympathies, Doris! I am a little less sure about this book today but still interested. I too am going to check on his first book.
Just finished the Tess Gerritsen book that we had as a selection some time ago - Body Double - the one where, in the prologue, Elijah puts Alice Rose in the hole in the ground. It is out in mass market paperback now. Satisfying read.

Respond to this message   
Mary b.
(no login)

Think I'll Like It

August 8 2005, 7:26 PM 

I spent much time in this area of England. My husband was stationed there while I was stationed in Berlin....hope to hear about some familiar landmarks. Can't wait to "see what's afoot".

Doris, I know what you mean about no books in the house. I like your food analogy.

On a completely different subject, I just checked out "The Ten Tenors" from the library. They're from Australia and they seem really fun. The DVD is a PBS broadcast from 2004. Great stuff!!!

Respond to this message   
Daphne
(no login)

Re: The Fire Baby (Mystery)

August 8 2005, 8:18 PM 

Wow! What a beginning. I will have to get this one from the library. Thanks, Suzanne.

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Maggie -

August 11 2005, 9:11 AM 

Duh - only today realized Maggie is NOT Laura's mother - where did I get that idea? - kept wondering why are they asking Maggie's ONLY dtr. to please come to the hospital? - oh well, finally got that straightened out - but is it just me who is confused by the beginning with the man in the jail cell or whatever, etc. - will be glad to get the book and start at the beginning -

FYI - I did look up "stone" and one stone is 14 lbs. (referring to his friend/sidekick in the car in the sweltering heat who weighs 17 stones) - you all probably already knew that, but I did not - so now I do - still learning -

Respond to this message   
Pam
(no login)

Intense

August 11 2005, 6:02 AM 

"...she'd taken his hand and held it with the intensity of a bullclip..." Now there's an interesting comparison. We use bullclips to keep chip bags closed so they don't carry an awful lot of intensity, physical or emotional, around here. Picky, picky. Lots of mystery in this book. Our library has both Fire Baby and the author's first book so I will read both, despite the bullclip.

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Re: Intense

August 11 2005, 12:03 PM 

Pam, think we are very much alike - I had just passed over the "bullclip" reference until you pointed it out and then had to find out what it is since did not know - could not find in dictionary or encyclopedia - fnally went to google - (think I must have the intensity of a bullclip or bulldog) - there found bullclips for sale and pictures - looked to me much like the clip on the leash I connect to my dog's collar, though they come in different sizes depending on whether you are needing to restrain a bull or in my case a little Westie - thanks for the sharing of more info -

Respond to this message   
Pam
(no login)

to Doris

August 11 2005, 1:27 PM 

I think bullclip must be an English term for what we call bulldog clips and in my olden days they were used to clip papers together. I think that's what he means. A dog leash type clip would be even less intense. Some chihuahuas in my case, or an elderly Shepherd cross or a Golden retriever. I get a little obsessive too once I get clipped to an idea.

Respond to this message   
Pam
(no login)

me again

August 11 2005, 1:32 PM 

clipping along....searched bulldog clip and found many Office Supply responses with nice pictures of what I think he meant by a bullclip. I will try and leave this alone now.

Respond to this message   
Mindi
(no login)

RE: No books

August 11 2005, 11:07 PM 

Doris - great analogy about no books being like having no food in the house.

I have books all over my house but after finishing a few of them, I start to panic that I might run out so then I go quickly to the bookstore or library to buy/borrow more. I ran across this quote recently which seemed to capture my feelings and I thought I'd share it with everyone here. Let me know what you think.

"Even when reading is impossible, the presence of books acquired (by passionate devotion to them) produces such an ecstasy that the buying of more books than one can peradventure read is nothing less than the soul reaching towards infinity ... we cherish books even if unread, their mere presence exudes comfort, their ready access, reassurance." A.E. Newton

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Thanks, Mindy -

August 12 2005, 9:44 AM 

Really like the quote - and lest anyone feel too sorry for me, I do have books in the house, my own collections that I would not part with - classics like Steinbeck, Whitman, Emerson, Milne's "Winnie the Pooh" adventures, also the "Tao of Pooh", poems by Emily Dickinson and anthologies of poems, short story collections, essays by E.B. White, - and more contemporary favorites by Rick Bragg, Erma Bombeck's collection, southern humorist and writer Lewis Grizzard's collection - I recommend you try him - he died a few years ago at an early age of 50, and I mourned his death - a favorite quote of mine from someplace "A home without books is like a body without a soul" - and I agree -

So perhaps next time I am complaining, should go to my own shelves and browse there - until I can get to the library and browse their shelves -

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Just a Thought -

August 12 2005, 10:07 AM 

Speaking of books, was wondering if any of you remember the first "real" book you ever read? I have very little memory of my school childhood - until 5th grade - but according to my report cards, always made A's in reading - I do remember reading comic books of which my favorite was "Wonder Woman" - but the first book I do remember from the school library was "Heidi" - still remember the feel of it in my hands -

Any first book memories from anyone else? -

Respond to this message   
Marilyn
(no login)

Re: Just a thought

August 12 2005, 1:36 PM 

I don't really remember my first book, but I remember ordering from Scholastic at school. It was exciting when the new flyer came in and we could order books through them. I think they still have that in schools, my daughter had it.

Respond to this message   
Pam
(no login)

school & books

August 13 2005, 6:20 AM 

Doris, I could write reams about this! I remember a lot of the kids right from kindergarten - I remember Billy B's vest that had deer on it! I can remember individual illustrations from the school readers that left an impression on me for some reason, a seaside scene, the deep green of Sally's dress like velvet (Dick & Jane's little sister). We went to the library (no school library) religiously and returned with piles of books. Somewhere being read to and reading blurred together. Uncle Wiggly, the E. Nesbit books, the ARthur Ransome books, Freddy the Pig series, John Masefield's children's books, Tom Sawyer, James Thurber's stories with the great line illustrations, Edward Lear's nonsense verse, Kate Greenaway's alphabet book, Wind in the Willows, The Waterbabies (heavy moralizing). Comics! We used to trade comics weekly. I loved Wonder Woman too, also Superboy, Plastic Man - I remember him stretching himself into a highway....I guess I should stop now ...

Respond to this message   
Mindi
(no login)

First book memory

August 13 2005, 4:30 AM 

I can't remember my first book though I remember reading about Dick and Jane in school. I do remember reading Pippi Longstocking and Homer Price. I loved Pippi who lived without parents and got to do whatever she wanted. What kid doesn't fantasize about doing whatever they want whenever they want. And I loved Homer Price's donut machine. I'm a teacher of third graders and I read those two to my students even though there are is great children's literature out there. And I do remember the excitement of ordering from Scholastic from my school years and I give the flyers to my students to order as well. But I'm a better customer than all my students put together. If I stopped spending money on books, I could afford to redecorate my house or buy a new car. Oh well, priorities.

Respond to this message   
pam
(no login)

the water clock

August 23 2005, 6:02 AM 

Hi everybody, just finished reading this author's first book, The Water Clock and enjoyed it very much. I have Fire Baby out from the library and will start it today. Water Clock has the same characters including the wife in the coma. Good characters, good writing, every now and then a really great turn of phrase to delight.
Funny how the library has books you don't think they will have and not ones that you are sure they will.

Respond to this message   
Pam
(no login)

another book

August 24 2005, 6:02 AM 

me again - Jim Kelly's 3rd book is called The Moon Tunnel, sounds good too.

Respond to this message   
Wendy
(no login)

Great Read

February 20 2006, 6:35 AM 

Excellent Book!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.