A Bride Most Begrudging (Good News)

October 7 2005 at 11:24 AM
Deeanne Gist  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

g0764200720_l

A Bride Most Begrudging
by Deeanne Gist
Buy book: $9.73

From a witty first-time novelist comes this clever romance about a British lady who is taken to the colonies against her will as a "tobacco bride." The colonial farmer who "wins" her realizes he has gotten more than he bargained for in the ensuing battle of wills.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(no login)

Great Book- Good Choice

October 10 2005, 10:00 AM 

This has never happened before. I'm reading this book and here it shows up on my book club. That is neat! I was displaced by Hurricane Rita and dying to read a good book. (I had already read the two that I had brought with me) I found this one in the Christian book isle of Wal-Mart. I love how interesting the author is and grips you so that you don't want to put the book down. I don't want to do housework or anything. Just want to read this fascinating book.

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Oh no - more history research -

October 10 2005, 4:26 PM 

"tobacco brides"? - could that be true? - you all probably knew that but of course I had to go to google and research (again) - Between "the known world" historical novel and now this book about colonial times, who has time to do things like cook, etc.? I do know some things about history - knew about indentured servants, but "tobacco brides"?!? - (not within my realm of knowledge) -

My family may have to have an intervention and take away my computer (or the book club) - or preview my books and delete anything remotely connected to historical events - woe is me - and/or those who have to listen to me - (but you all do have the option to delete me as well) -

Respond to this message   
pam m
(no login)

but Doris..

October 10 2005, 6:48 PM 

you save us all lots of time by reporting back your finds! Frankly though, I think I'll end up deleting this, it has a kind of romancey flavour to it that isn't my reading taste.

Respond to this message   
pam m
(no login)

but Doris message #2

October 10 2005, 6:49 PM 

--and you also point us in the direction of good websites.

Respond to this message   
sandy
(no login)

Another book

October 11 2005, 1:24 PM 

Check out America's Women: Four Hundred Years of Dolls, Drudges, Helpmates, and Heroines - a short review is at http://www.seniorwomen.com/ni/ni_womenofnote.html. It states:
When they married, their new husbands had to reimburse the company with 120 pounds of good leaf tobacco. The first shipment of ninety "tobacco brides" arrived in Jamestown in the spring of 1620. The youngest, Jane Dier, was fifteen or sixteen when she left England. Allice Burges, at twenty-eight, was one of the oldest and said to be skillful in the art of brewing beer important in a place where the water was generally undrinkable. Cicely Bray was from one of the best families, of a rank that required her to be addressed as "Mistress" rather than the more plebian "goodwife." But all the brides were respectable women, mostly the offspring of middle-class tradesmen who had died, leaving them with no male protectors. All of them provided references, attesting to their honesty, sobriety, and past behavior. Anne Richards was "a woman of an honest [life] and conversation . . . and so is and ever hathe bynne esteemed," wrote one of her parish elders.

A bit different than the women in this book...

Respond to this message   
Dana
(no login)

historically accurate?

October 18 2005, 10:48 AM 

Sandy, I did some hunting down as well. What you said about the brides coming over voluntarily in 1620 is true. But after that original shipment of 100 volunteers, no other women would come.

That's when the Crown started sending over their female felons. Walter Hart Blumenthal wrote a book about it called *Brides from Bridewell: Female Felons Sent to Colonial America* (Bridewell being the name of the prison).

According to the website of the author of *Bride Most Begrudging* she found record of an actual incident of a woman of rank being kidnapped. She found it in a volume covering 1644 Virginia at a geneology library.

Respond to this message   
Sandy
(no login)

Found another book

October 11 2005, 1:28 PM 

We Were There, Too!
Young People in U.S. History
Phillip Hoose

This has a chapter on tobacco brides but the other chapters are great to read. Not bad to give to a 'young person' either

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Websites and Books -

October 11 2005, 4:48 PM 

Sandy, thanks for the more info - don't think I will be reading past this week's reads of this book - think we all know exactly where it is going to end up - but treasures of knowledge can be found in the most mundane places, can they not? -
- Doris -

Respond to this message   
Sammy
(no login)

Wonderful!

February 28 2006, 10:58 AM 

This book is absolutely wonderful. The story is gripping, it doesn't get boring, you just want to keep reading and not set it down!

Respond to this message   

(no login)

A man reading a 'women's romance' novel?

October 11 2005, 3:43 PM 

Okay, maybe it is that my third son married a beautiful young lady last May or my second son is engaged to marry another fabulous woman next February or maybe it is that my wife and I will celebrate 30 years of marriage in three weeks....
but this title and the first two episodes have me intrigued. Why should there be such an awful handling of a woman in any century? And what makes the captain think she is 'worth' more tobacco than the others?

Will she find a tender accomplice in the New World or will she be taken advantage of in caulous ways? She has now lost her only family, her uncle to the ship passage.

Does God really watch over every one of his children?

As I said, I am intrigued!

Respond to this message   
pam m
(no login)

delete? no.

October 13 2005, 6:21 AM 

Ha, I was sure I was going to be deleting this but I have been lured into reading it every day to see what happens next!

Respond to this message   
Lindalu
(no login)

Deleting? No, neither will I.

October 13 2005, 12:06 PM 

I too thought this would be too predictable to keep me reading. However, I couldn't wait to open today's read and see what happens.

I have read books that I thought I knew what would happen and I was wrong. You never know what journey the author has for you.

And even if it is perdictable - it can still be a enjoyable read.

I'm going to find this book and finish reading it.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Re: delete? no.

October 14 2005, 9:11 AM 

I just loved this book. It has kept me on my toes this week just not knowing what was going to happen next. I think that this is one that i am going to have to go and check out.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - A Bride Most Begrudging (Good News)
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.