Darkly Dreaming Dexter (Mystery)

October 21 2005 at 1:04 PM
Jeff Lindsay  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

m038551123X_l

Darkly Dreaming Dexter
by Jeff Lindsay
Buy book: $15.37

"Darkly Dreaming Dexter" is a new kind of mystery novel starring a lovable serial killer, one Dexter Morgan, who only kills bad people and who cringes at the sight of blood.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
pam m
(no login)

dexter

October 21 2005, 4:12 PM 

The second book in this series was reviewed in the Globe last week and I ordered the first one from the library to see what it was like. I think this is the first title that we are getting so I will get a headstart before I get the book in hand.

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Horrible Dexter -

October 21 2005, 8:39 PM 

What a gross and horrible, evil book, right from the beginning - have just read an excerpt from amazon and this is definitely not my type of book - I like a good mystery, but this seems to be evil incarnate - can't imagine how or why a person would write a book like this - everyone will, of course, have to judge for themselves, but it is beyond my tolerance level - no mysteries for me this week - at least not from the book club -

Respond to this message   
linda mccray
(no login)

It's a "mystery" alright!

October 24 2005, 2:58 AM 

How can a killer be a "loveable" character? This is another attempt to slide into our notions of acceptable behaviour something that is NOT ACCEPTABLE. It is similar in concept to another author's "loveable" hired assasin series. (Lawrence Block) I agree with my "fellow" reader...no mystery for me from this book club.

Respond to this message   
pam m
(no login)

another assassin

October 24 2005, 6:12 AM 

Barry Eisler's series about John Rain is another such. Dexter is waiting for me at the library but I am not expecting to love him.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login dearmommy)

Re: It's a "mystery" alright!

October 26 2005, 3:08 AM 

I have read the next book in this series and the way I look at this character is that Dexter is the person inside any one who has suffered at the hands of others be it incest, rape, child abuse. He is the hero in us who stops the pain and makes the bad guy suffer as we have suffered. I am not a big fan of vigalantism (sp) in the fact that quite often the wrong person is wrongly accused however keep in mind this is a fictional character and the character has done the appropriate research to ensure the proper person is indeed the guilty party. You are missing out on a great read if you dont at least read a few more pages as things become much clearer on day 3.

Respond to this message   
Connie D
(no login)

Loving Dexter

October 26 2005, 12:02 PM 

I've only read the first two days, and I know I will read the book. It grabed me right from the start. I can't wait until tomorrow to read more.

Respond to this message   
Lisa Smith
(no login)

Dexter

October 27 2005, 12:23 PM 

I enjoyed the way this book started. From the very beginning it had the suspense that you enjoy from a mystery book. I might have to go check it out from the library.

Respond to this message   
Kristi
(no login)

dexter

October 24 2005, 2:48 PM 

This one had my interest from the book jacket. It does sound a little far reaching, a serial killer who's a cop. Whose whole family are cops. Whose cop dad encouraged him to only kill "bad guys". I might not end up reading it the whole thing but today's read wasn't bad. I understand why some would not like it, but I don't see the "evil" in the book.

Respond to this message   
T.S.
(no login)

Screaming Scary Dexter

October 26 2005, 10:50 AM 

Best portrail of a serial Killer yet. I found it very interesting and you don't know what Dexter will do next. How do you live life with out feeling human?
Dexter is the ultimate anti-hero.

1. Darkly Dreaming Dexter - realy good
2. Dearly Devoted Dexter - OK

I'v read both and can't wait for more Dexter!

Finally something new in the mystery section.

Respond to this message   
Sam
(no login)

A dark mystery

October 28 2005, 11:58 AM 

I think this dark mystery is well done. I plan to read the whole book. The contrast of the two sides of Dexter should make an interesting read.

Respond to this message   
pam m
(no login)

dexter

November 4 2005, 6:04 AM 

did some reading, disappointed, dumped dexter.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.