The Boy From The Basement (Teen)

December 9 2005 at 11:11 AM
Susan Shaw  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

t0525472231_l

The Boy From The Basement
by Susan Shaw
Buy book: $10.70

For Charlie, the basement is home. He's being punished. He doesn't mean to leaveóFather wouldn't allow itóbut when Charlie is accidentally thrust outside, he awakens to the alien surroundings of a world to which he's never been exposed. Though haunted by fear of the basement and his father's rage, Charlie embarks on a journey toward healing and blossoms when he becomes an unconditionally loved and loving member of the right foster family. This carefully crafted and authentic portrayal of Charlie's emotional and physical abuse is gracefully matched by Susan Shaw's inspiring and deeply moving story of recovery.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(no login)

Well...

December 9 2005, 3:58 PM 

This sounds like a good book, but it's going to be really intense. I don't know if that's what I want to read this week. Well, we'll see. (Books like this always make me freak out... it's scary to know that some kids and adults get abused)

Respond to this message   
Ashley
(no login)

Agree

December 12 2005, 12:52 PM 

I agree with what Emily said, that it is sad to think that there are kids out there like that. I think it is a good book so far. I can't wait until tomorrow for more of it. I might even get the book!! :)

This message has been edited by chapteraday on Dec 12, 2005 2:11 PM

Respond to this message   

(Login NICEABS)

hmmm!

December 10 2005, 2:40 PM 

I would of the child in the book " charlie" is sum type of " speacial needs child" These children require special care and sumtimes the parents cant handle that pressure soo they lock the child, in a isolated room!

Respond to this message   
Emily
(no login)

Re: hmmm!

December 11 2005, 8:18 PM 

You may be right- I never thought that he was autistic, it never occured to me, until now. Although, I must say, I don't think locking him in the basement is the solution. And, why would he be "thrust outside?" Guess we'll find out soon-
To answer your question, Jennifer Garner was in 13 Going on 30... not a good book?

This message has been edited by chapteraday on Dec 12, 2005 10:33 AM

Respond to this message   
Katie
(no login)

Question & Comment

December 11 2005, 11:42 PM 

Hi,
Wow! This seems like a very deep book. I cant even imagine what I would do all alone down there, probably go insane... this is my first time getting emailed book chapters, will they email me the rest of the book or do I have to buy it to finish it?
Thanks, Katie : )

This message has been edited by chapteraday on Dec 12, 2005 10:33 AM

Respond to this message   
Deidra
(no login)

Buy

December 13 2005, 9:21 AM 

They will email you until Friday and if you like the book you have to go out and buy it. I think that is good only because I rather read a little of it to see if I am interested then buy the book and not be interested.

Respond to this message   
Deidra
(no login)

Monday

December 12 2005, 12:39 PM 

I just finished reading part of the book and I feel sad for the boy. At first I thought the mother was in on it and then she told him about the apple. I would think if the mother was smart she would get him out of that house without the father or the boy should have left when he had the chance. Good book so far.

Respond to this message   
Tasha
(no login)

So far...

December 12 2005, 3:14 PM 

Yes its definitely a good story so far... we'll have to see though.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Re:Monday

December 12 2005, 4:18 PM 

I feel sad for Charlie too. And the worst part is that there are kids out there who are still being looked up as a punishment. I think the Mom should call the police or something if she really cares about Charlie>

Respond to this message   
Jodi
(no login)

What did he do

December 14 2005, 7:55 AM 

i really want to find out what he did to make his dad lock him in the basement and what is with the giant spider?

jodi

Respond to this message   
Laura
(no login)

I'm curious...

December 14 2005, 3:05 AM 

I'm really curious why the dad unlocks the basement door each night. It seems almost as if he wants Charlie to get some food and go outside. If he really wanted Charlie to stay in the basement, one would think he would keep it locked all the time. Did you guys notice this, too?

Respond to this message   
Alexandra
(no login)

Good Book

December 14 2005, 4:40 AM 

Yeah, the mom is a wuss. If she really cared she'd so something about it instead of just leaving apples. This is an interesting book. It really holds your attention. I can't wait to see what happens now that he's locked out.

Respond to this message   
Sharon
(no login)

The library

December 14 2005, 8:26 AM 

Hi everyone, I practically live at the library. If I bought every book I read I would be broke.

If you can't find the book you want at your local library they can either order it for you or get it from another library. Then they will hold it for you for for a few days until you pick it up. That way if you still want to buy it, you still can and loan it out to your friends.

Respond to this message   
Hannah
(no login)

I sort of like it...

December 14 2005, 5:47 PM 

It is okay, but I'm afraid to read it. I hate reading sad books but I want to know why he's in the basement in the first place and what IS with the giant spider? I think he might be "special needs". I don't know, I think I might get it...

Respond to this message   
Jodi
(no login)

Thursday

December 15 2005, 7:32 AM 

Didn't like todays incerpt as much, was very wierd.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Creepy

December 15 2005, 2:01 PM 

Yes, this is very scary stuff. I didn't get to read any of the sections until today- partially because i didn't have enough time, partially because i was afraid to read this. But, now I'm all caught up. Wow.
So, I've seen everyone's comments posted, and I've thought about the situation myself, and here's my theory about the book:

Charlie never did anything wrong. His father made him beleive that he did something bad. His dad is just abusive. The mom- I think that the dad abuses her. That's why she doesn't get to make the decisions. And, if you think about it, doesn't she almost seem afraid of her husband? Just my guess. But, I don't think that Charlie's autistic, and I don't think that his mom is a wuss. Besides, she's trying to help Charlie with apples and pencils and stuff. I think that she doesn't call the police because she's afraid.
Sounds like Charlie's never been outside before, does that mean he has NO education whatsoever? Hmmm... and, the unlocking the door thing confuses me.
What do you guys think?
I'll be reading tomorrow...

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Confused

December 15 2005, 9:29 PM 

I also thought that the mom was evil and on the dad's side. But now I think she is so scared of her husband. She couldn't let her son out because the father locked him in all day and i guess he was the only one who had the key to the basement. I am very confused about the spider. I think the spider is like a gaurdian angel who follows him around and made sure he was safe. i also think the person who awoke him, was the spider in person form in his dreams.

Respond to this message   
Trinity
(no login)

I read this one....

December 16 2005, 7:35 AM 

It was good and also very intense. Even when Charlie is out of the basement and away from his father he is terrified. While in foster care he won't even barely leave the house. I liked this book and I couldn't put it down...LITERALY!

Trinity

Respond to this message   

(no login)

OK

December 16 2005, 2:02 PM 

Now I really have to finish this. I'm still wondering how intense this book is going to be. Books that are really intense can freak me out, but for some reason, they make me want to keep on reading so much.

Respond to this message   
BookWorm
(Login luvshel)

OK

December 16 2005, 5:39 PM 

Okay, here's what I think:
I'm new to this, but I really like it so far. Out of all the books I've read from this, I like this one the best:
The spider must be his hillusonations (he's sick remember?)
The mother may just be afraid of the dad, and I think the dad is the one who is a pcycho.
From certain hints, I think that he is being punished because he ran away once before. I'm not sure though...
I am so getting this book from the library!
Thanks for listening!
Love ya'll a bunchez!
Shelby "BookWorm"

This message has been edited by chapteraday on Dec 17, 2005 9:10 AM

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - The Boy From The Basement (Teen)
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.