<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  

Please Don't Come Back From the Moon (Fiction)

December 30 2005 at 1:50 PM
Dean Bakopoulos  (Login chapteraday)
Forum Owner

f0156031671_l

Please Donít Come Back
From The Moon
by Dean Bakopoulos
Buy book: $10.63

In this haunting debut novel, Michael Smolij and his friends are unable to leave the blue-collar Detroit neighborhoods abandoned by their fathers. They stumble through their teens into their 20s until the restlessness of the fathers blooms in them, threatening to carry them away.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Norm Derocher
(no login)

Great Style!

January 2 2006, 6:23 AM 

I have only reviewed the first chapter but I like the author's style. He reminds me of a Deville novel. I don't know where this story will take us but for now I am along for the trip.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Sounds Great

January 2 2006, 8:40 AM 

This book sounds like it's going to be one of my favorites. So far I'm definetly intrigued!

Respond to this message   

(no login)

I think this is going to be a doozy

January 2 2006, 1:15 PM 

I do believe this is going to be a great read. The style is nice, smooth and not too complicated. I am really excited about this one. I just love it when a book grabs you in the first few paragraphs, now that is a style of a good writer. I am going to stay here and find out more.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Going for it

January 2 2006, 1:44 PM 

I'm off to the library for their one and only copy. Great opening, I hope it doesn't disapoint like some of our earlier reads.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Good Start has my interest

January 2 2006, 3:58 PM 

Never heard of this writer but he has my interest. I want to know where this is going. And with some of the Monday starters I don't continue through the rest of the week. With this I will be sure to read and maybe end up going to the library to get the book and read all of it. Good start.

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Today it caught me -

January 3 2006, 11:26 AM 

Wasn't sure 'til today, but now am into this book - am puzzled tho' as to why the priest left - did not think priests were dependent on the local community's offerings for their existence - thought it came from above and beyond their local parish - someone care to enlighten me? - or perhaps the general depression of the people and the area got to him as well - ?? -

Respond to this message   
eLIZabeth
(no login)

Doris, do you remember.....

January 3 2006, 8:00 PM 

Hi Doris, I apologize for going off-topic here but do you remember the name of the recent (fiction?) book about the coal mining town? I am so upset about the accident in WVA and it's gotten me thinking of this book and wishing now I'd jotted down the name and author. Thanks!
Oh,as far as your question today: I think a diocesan priest gets a small stipend from the diocese but does also depend on local offerings and a priest from a specific order (i.e. Jesuit, Franciscan etc) would get their stipend from their order but also depend on locak collections. Correct me if I'm wrong anybody!

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Re: Doris, do you remember.....

January 3 2006, 9:01 PM 

eLIZabeth, first book that came to mind was "Dear Senator" that was just recently in the club (non fiction) in that she was brought up I believe in a mining town, but that was really not the gist of the story - However, in the responses to that book, someone mentioned "Baker's Towers" (fiction) by Jennifer Haigh (Oct. 7) also taking place in a Pennsylvania mining town - that sounds more like what you are referring to - hope it is the one -

Respond to this message   
Kathy
(no login)

Re: Doris, do you remember.....

January 4 2006, 11:18 AM 

Hi eLIZabeth. I wonder if the book you're thinking of is Coal Run by Tawni O'Dell.

Respond to this message   
eLIZabeth
(no login)

Kathy, Doris, thank you!

January 4 2006, 6:29 PM 

Kathy: yes...."Coal Run" was the one I was thinking of specifically. Thanks to both of you for helping!!! :)

Respond to this message   
Kristi
(no login)

I like it

January 3 2006, 1:26 PM 

Have any of you heard of the children's book by Eric Carle "Papa Please Get The Moon For Me"? That's immediately what I thought of when I heard the title of this week's book and read it was about fathers leaving. Anyways, it seems really good so far. I can't wait to get further into it.

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Moon -

January 3 2006, 11:33 PM 

sad - sad - sad - sad -

Respond to this message   

(no login)

This is very scary!

January 4 2006, 7:25 AM 

I have only read the first 2 days of this selection, but, living in Michigan it hits too close to present day happenings! People in Michigan are experiencing terrible times - lost jobs - old time businesses having to close down after being in our lives almost forever... moving to other states to find work - like "going to the moon"...
I would like the world to know what is happening in our beautiful state - the economy is definitely NOT improving here... we are sinking into a deep depression!
I didn't mean to preach - this is a very unusal book and I can hardly wait to read the entire selection and maybe secure the actual book from our local library.
Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

This is so much sadness that I want to get a tissue .

January 4 2006, 2:29 PM 

I am totally involved now. I am going to go pick this book up from the library this afternoon. As far as the economy goes the same goes for Oregon. I can't see it getting any better. There does not seem to be any boom that I can tell.

My only thought so far is how far will this go? Will there be no more men folk left in this small town? Now you have me hook, line, and sinker. I must read this book too. I just finished the Ameuture Marriage by Anne Tyler and I loved every page of it too.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Not the same here....

January 4 2006, 5:45 PM 

Don't know what part of Oregon you are living in, but where I am we're having one of the biggest booms we've ever seen. In fact, I just heard that Oregon is the #1 state for influx of residents. Must be something here that's attracting them. And it's not low taxes.

This is going to be a great book, I think. I have a copy and am a little ahead of the daily posts. Can't figure out just exactly where it is going, but I'm along for the ride!

Respond to this message   

(no login)

I Bought It!

January 4 2006, 11:47 PM 

I rushed out and bought it today and so far it's still really good! I hope it continues to be a great book.
PS: I've never bought a book that we have read on this site, just rented from the library. Hope I love my investment!

Jen

Respond to this message   
eLIZabeth
(no login)

Day #4

January 5 2006, 8:17 PM 

After today's reading I am now too totally hooked in on this story and want to know what happens. I love the narrator's voice. I wanted to cry when he was in the drug store smelling the Old Spice.

Respond to this message   

(Login AnnBK)

Your comments, please......

January 6 2006, 8:31 PM 

I just couldn't put this one down and finished it this afternoon. I'm very interested in hearing what you all thought of it.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Moon

January 9 2006, 11:56 PM 

I am rather new to the book club and did not expect to find such interesting readings. The end of the first chapter was a grabber! I really have to read the rest of this book. I told several friends about dearreader. What a great way to spend these cold winter evenings. Thank you.

Respond to this message   
Doris
(no login)

Re: Moon -

January 12 2006, 3:16 PM 

Just back from a few days with my dtr. and the library had several books waiting for me, this being one of them - will let you know my thinking after finishing it - am sure it will be good -

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Finished...

January 13 2006, 12:18 PM 

Doris, I'm sure you will enjoy this one. I finished it last week and thought it was one of our better selections. Please post further comments.

Respond to this message   
Sharon
(no login)

Great Book

February 6 2006, 1:22 PM 

I just finished this book. Really good characters. This was one of the best books that I've read in a while.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Please Don't Come Back From the Moon (Fiction)
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to list of Book Titles  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
© Copyright 2004 All Rights Reserved
Book prices may vary without notice.